Openbor (Beats Of Rage)

Is there any way to change/force a game's resolution in OpenBOR so it matches 320x240 (the screen resolution of the Wiz)? Art of Fighting III: BOR works fine on the Wiz except the text boxes when characters are talking go off of the side of the screen. This prevents you from being able to completely follow the story going on throughout the game. Obviously it would distort the images on the screen, but at least the entire screen would be visible. I was just wondering if there is some sort of option for this feature.

BTW... there is a newer build of OpenBOR that supports securepak games. There's a GP2X version of it and a Linux version too, but neither version will work with the Wiz fo course. If it did we could play Night Slashers X, which looks like anawesome game. I mention this because if you decide to port another version for the Wiz, you might want to look at one of those.

I'm not an expert so ask if there is any solutions or alternatives for problems of Wiz version: 

- Wouldn't it be possible to replace glitched splash screen and menu screen in the sourcecode data files ? (to make it visible)

- About the missing "cutscenes" and 32 bpp SDL screen mode, I read (here) that there is a hardware limitation for the Wiz ( but in GP2X version it works). Does it mean GP2X hardware supports 32 bpp surface, or depend only by SDL version ? 

- To increase RAM free amount, could it use following method for Dingoo or something similar ? 

http://lavalit.com:8080/index.php/topic,4058.0.html

Awesome, thanks!! I had completely forgotten about Beats of Rage (I had loads of versions a few years ago on Dreamcast).

feedback: Menu screen display is corrupt (wrong colours and too wide to fit), but the paks i have tried so far run pretty much flawlessly.

Great work so far! :)

Any chance Pickle on porting the newest release of OpenBOR to the Wiz? I asked over at lavalit and the answer I got there was "Pickle will have to do that since he handles the Wiz port." The GP2X version of Openbord was updated since this port of Openbor I believe.

fett42 said:
Any chance Pickle on porting the newest release of OpenBOR to the Wiz? I asked over at lavalit and the answer I got there was "Pickle will have to do that since he handles the Wiz port." The GP2X version of Openbord was updated since this port of Openbor I believe.

truefully i havnt had any motivation to work on this, i actually dont use it that often

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, I see. Openbor is the second most used "game" on my Wiz right now. I understand why you don't have any interest in updating it, but I do hope you'll consider updating it if there is ever a fix in the future for the "bike" problem. That issue makes it so you can't advance past certain parts in some games because bikes and other things that are supposed to drive past you don't move, which means you can't get past that part in the game since they are stuck off-screen.

pickle.gp2x.de/openbor-wiz.zip

updated to the latest svn. I also tried to use some dingoo code which should convert 16 bpp to 32 bpp, but the intro still isnt right. If anyone has a dingoo does it work there?

Pickle said:
pickle.gp2x.de/openbor-wiz.zip

updated to the latest svn. I also tried to use some dingoo code which should convert 16 bpp to 32 bpp, but the intro still isnt right. If anyone has a dingoo does it work there?

Thank you so much Pickle. You really made my day! The intro screen is much better now.

One odd thing, which isn't really a huge deal I guess. For some reason NightSlashersX won't run on the Wiz even after the update. It won't show up on the list of games. It is a secure pak game, so it uses the .spk extension. All platforms were supposed to be able to run .spk files, which is why it is odd that the new version based on the latest svn doesn't seem to support secure pak games. I tried changing the .spk extension to .pak. The game showed up on the game list, but when I tried to launch it I got a black screen and it wouldn't load. I only mentioned this because it is the only error I could find. :p

Anyway, the new release is still a great.

I discovered that the new build of OpenBOR for Wiz has more compatibility with openbor games that I imagined it would. I just tried TMNT: RSB (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Red Sky Battles) and it seems to work flawlessly so far. It wouldn't let me past the middle of the 3rd stage using the previous OpenBOR build for the Wiz. I ended up making it to the end of stage 3 finally, which is farther than the game would let me progess before, but I died at the end of stage 3 so I don't know if the entire game works yet. Hopefully I can continue at stage 3 and beat it this time. I'll upload this game to the openhandhelds archive if I find out that the enite game finally works on the Wiz. It's an awesome game, but pretty hard to find online.

So it is possible that other games might work now that didn't work before on the Wiz. I think the major issue was that off-screen enimies got stuck and not able to move. Generally these enemies were those that "drive by" aka bike enemies. If the bike glitch is truly fixed now, this greatly improves the amount of games for OpenBOR that are playable on the Wiz.

Awesome job Pickle. You're my hero. :lol:

fett42 said:
I discovered that the new build of OpenBOR for Wiz has more compatibility with openbor games that I imagined it would. I just tried TMNT: RSB (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Red Sky Battles) and it seems to work flawlessly so far. It wouldn't let me past the middle of the 3rd stage using the previous OpenBOR build for the Wiz. I ended up making it to the end of stage 3 finally, which is farther than the game would let me progess before, but I died at the end of stage 3 so I don't know if the entire game works yet. Hopefully I can continue at stage 3 and beat it this time. I'll upload this game to the openhandhelds archive if I find out that the enite game finally works on the Wiz. It's an awesome game, but pretty hard to find online.

So it is possible that other games might work now that didn't work before on the Wiz. I think the major issue was that off-screen enimies got stuck and not able to move. Generally these enemies were those that "drive by" aka bike enemies. If the bike glitch is truly fixed now, this greatly improves the amount of games for OpenBOR that are playable on the Wiz.

Awesome job Pickle. You're my hero. :lol:

Well the bike fixes can be credited to the openbor team. Ive also confirmed that the bike areas work on my wiz.
The wiz changes are now in svn and ive pointed SX to the wiz toolchain so this might be getting daily builds soon.
It would also be of some interest if any high memory pak work, if needed I believe there are 15 mb that could be used, like the 32 upper mem was used for the gp2x, but if everything runs i dont think its worth the time.

Pickle said:
Well the bike fixes can be credited to the openbor team. Ive also confirmed that the bike areas work on my wiz.
The wiz changes are now in svn and ive pointed SX to the wiz toolchain so this might be getting daily builds soon.
It would also be of some interest if any high memory pak work, if needed I believe there are 15 mb that could be used, like the 32 upper mem was used for the gp2x, but if everything runs i dont think its worth the time.

Awesome, because no one else seemed to know how to create an updated OpenBOR for the Wiz, which is of course why I brought it up here. As said before, they said "ask pickle". SX certainly should be someone that is informed on the Wiz toolchain.

Also, if by "everything runs" means all games, then the answer is no. One example of a game that doesn't run on the Wiz is Vermilion Sword. That game is also 700 MB in size though. It starts up at the loading screen just fine, but it crashes half-way through loading. I overclock my Wiz at 700 mhz for OpenBOR, which helps a great deal with load times on some games. However overclocking does nothing to help with Vermilion Sword aside from making it crash sooner than if I didn't overclock it.

There are some other games I tried in the past that didn't seem to work right on the Wiz, as in they wouldn't load, but I can't remember which ones now. I deleted all of the non-working games from my SD card. Hopefully I still have them on my computer and can try them again to see if they work now. There were also a few games that seemed to have graphical glitches on the previous Wiz version of OpenBOR. Those same games worked fine on the Windows version of OpenBOR. I'm not exactly sure what caused the graphical issues, but it was similar to the graphic glitch of the loading screen (the colors weren't even close to being displayed right). Interestingly enough, all of those games are 90 MB and up, but not all games over 90 MB have graphical errors. The fact that they are larger game files might just be a coincidence, or it might mean that the extra memory you spoke of is needed for those games. One example of a game that has this issue is SGMB-V7.9 (Sega Genesis Mega Brawler version 7.9), which is 243 MB.

I pm'd the wrong person on this thread. Thanks for being nice about my mistake. You know who you are.

It'd be really nice if someone could do a port that fixes the 32 bit screens etc that show wrong or not at all. I just taught my kids to wait them out or push a button to get beyond them.

All of you are so great here about supporting and responding to us "simple users" I hate to even ask or complain about anything.

The efforts all of you developers make have brought many hours and smiles to my kiddos (yeah I never play them too right ?).

mystique said:
I pm'd the wrong person on this thread. Thanks for being nice about my mistake. You know who you are.

It'd be really nice if someone could do a port that fixes the 32 bit screens etc that show wrong or not at all. I just taught my kids to wait them out or push a button to get beyond them.

All of you are so great here about supporting and responding to us "simple users" I hate to even ask or complain about anything.

The efforts all of you developers make have brought many hours and smiles to my kiddos (yeah I never play them too right ?).

um, if your referring to me im the one that did the port, but then you start refering to the intellivision emu, which had nothing to do with openbor.
Ive been trying to fix the 32 bpp problem, but havnt found the right solution yet.

Pickle said:
mystique said:

um, if your referring to me im the one that did the port, but then you start refering to the intellivision emu, which had nothing to do with openbor.
Ive been trying to fix the 32 bpp problem, but havnt found the right solution yet.

Hi Pickle, is this new version from you? http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2148319137#post2148319137

There is a 2689 build but i cannot find it.

This version supports spk files? Thank you for the good job :)

Rivroner said:
Pickle said:
mystique said:

Hi Pickle, is this new version from you? http://www.dcemu.co....#post2148319137

There is a 2689 build but i cannot find it.

This version supports spk files? Thank you for the good job :)

I helped the maintainer's get setup with the wiz toolchain so daily builds are supported now, that could be the version you found

Thanks for the answer Pickle :)

There is a new version, 2695 , but all i get is a black screen :(

Rivroner said:

My guess is that there are some missing libs, i havnt tried it myself though.

Pickle said:
Rivroner said:

My guess is that there are some missing libs, i havnt tried it myself though.

ok i tried it out and it works although I didnt use the sdl libs that were included.

I tried yesterday 2711 release and it works perfectly except for the tearing.

http://lavalit.com/openbor/download.php?file=OpenBOR%20v3.0%20Build%202711.7z

Back