GP2X Update To Openbor For Gp2x

jbrodack

gp2x fan
Website
jbrodack.googlepages.com
lemon who originally ported beats of rage and then later openbor to gp2x hasn't updated his port in a while so i gave a response in his blog asking about the possibility of an update that uses the latest version of openbor. he however is too busy to update his port for a while and so replied:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi jbrodack,
unfortunately I have been much more lacking on free time than I expected, and now I'm about to go for a month on holidays, so there will beo updating by the moment.
Anyway, my current sources are available on subversion at http://gp2xforge.rix0r.nl/projects/bor on http://gp2xforge.rix0r.nl/svn/bor so anyone can take them and try to update to the new openbor. If nobody does, I'll do it but you'll have to wait for some time...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

there is one bug left in his port which is if there is only one .pak file in the directory it wont work. besides that it just needs to be updated to the newest openbor. there was a lull in the bor community for a while since the openbor coder had taken a break but now there are some recent releases of openbor and a nice community site http://www.borgeneration.com that has all the latest mod releases. one i would really like to play is the full version of the battletoads mod.

anyway could any coder update the gp2x version to use the latest version of openbor so we could play all the newest mods and take advantage of all the features openbor has to offer?

Hi jbrodack!

I'm back from my holidays (well, I've been back for some time) and now I have just started to work on openbor again.
I'm still lacking on free time, like always, so it will take some time.

I consider my BoR release final, as no one has told me any failure since the latest version. so I'll leave it like this (with a splashscreen while loading)

The case of openbor is of course different, it was more or less running but I know there were a lot of problems with it. I'm working now with the new integrated source tree for it, (would like to thank samuraix for all the work he has done while preparing the psp version), and as my previous version was just a quick and ugly hack to get it running, I'm starting again from the 'official' sources (must talk to samuraix to integrate the gp2x branch to thw official sources when it's finished).

As a result of being originally designed for a system with no memory protection, there are a lot of places in the code which produce different results when running on a memory protected system, like Linux, and my intention is to 'clean' the code a bit instead of just doing a couple hacks to get it running, so it will tike some time (specially when I want my changes to be accepted into the official version, as I want to do the minimum changes possible)

I expect to have a good new version of openbor at middle october (while I hope to have it at beginning october)

jbrodack posted on Sep 15 2006 at 01:14 AM said:
thank you lemon. I can't wait to be able to play the full battletoads mod on my gp2x. if you haven't played it yet you should its even better than the demo.
Where can I download it? I searched for it on generation.com but even when they announce it's there then when you try to download, instead of it you get a strange "BattleToads.exe" file which, of course, is completely useless to me...

Last edited by a moderator:
lemon posted on Sep 15 2006 at 09:48 AM said:
jbrodack posted on Sep 15 2006 at 01:14 AM said:
thank you lemon. I can't wait to be able to play the full battletoads mod on my gp2x. if you haven't played it yet you should its even better than the demo.
Where can I download it? I searched for it on generation.com but even when they announce it's there then when you try to download, instead of it you get a strange "BattleToads.exe" file which, of course, is completely useless to me...

the .pak file is inside the exe. the exe is just an extractor.

jbrodack posted on Sep 15 2006 at 07:27 PM said:
the .pak file is inside the exe. the exe is just an extractor.

well, the .exe is an executable, a program file for windows, which I cannot execute on my system. I don't have (nor want) a system running windows...

knowing that it was a rar file, i have just unrar'd it succesfully (using unrar).
Whe don't they provide a rar file instead of a windows executable? grrr...

I'm currently installing the sdk on my cygwin environment. Once that is done I would like to get a copy of the source to try and build it myself. Then I will need you jbrodack to test it out and see if my dev environment is fine by running the engine. I don't own a GP2X so your feedback is necessary, otherwise I will not know if something gets broken on this port.

After that has been done I will integrate gp2x into openbor svn and officially support it going forward. Now going forward (though I have not looked at the source yet.) if the GP2X version supported the DOS method of pak selecting you will be glad to here that I have completely overhauled the way it worked for DOS/SDL versions.

You will be able to select as many as 20 paks (if i remember correctly) using the gui thats built in openbor. Next, not sure if the current gp2x uses this method but working on the PSP I had reduced the memory by half by flipping sprites (ported from Neill Corlet's port of Dreamcast). So this means if you had memory limitations before this will definately help out. Lastly, I had ported and updated Neill's PS2 filecaching to work on flash cards since it was based on optical media. This will significantly reduce loads times by as much as 80~90 percent faster. Therefore, your loading times should be identical to DOS/SDL (PC based setups).

lemon.... If you need any help in implementing these features I'm more than willing to help you out. It will be easier for you to stay up to date once we have integrated you local source into the openbor svn.

If you have any questions you can find me here: http://www.borgeneration.com

samourai X from the PSP version of openBor? :rolleyes: :p Realy good news ;)

Yod4z posted on Sep 29 2006 at 04:10 PM said:
samourai X from the PSP version of openBor? :rolleyes: :p Realy good news ;)

Thanks.... lol

lemon,
I believe my environment is ready. I was able to compile your svn version. Though I had to make changes to the makefile. Seems my environment is not identical to yours. So when your ready... just send me a PM and we can get the ball rolling.

While I've been working with jbrodack on getting my version to compile correctly. I would like to have a few more testers as I don't own a GP2X. Would anyone else here like to help out? If so, PM me for my msn handle. Thanks.

Trying not to spam this forum too much but..... here is a repost from the beta testing section for users that don't read that section.....

I've realized that my enviroment Cygwin+OfficialLinuxSDK doesn't support SDL Hardware Video Mode! ohmy.gif Once that was figured out... things started to progress much faster and now I have something for all of you GP2X users to tryout and enjoy and that is......

DevBuild-v2.0055-008 Included in this release is a working version of OpenBoR running on GP2X! biggrin.gif However, there is one bug at the moment and that is with our engine running on this platform. So while you are not able to shut down properly.... you can enjoy OpenBoR to its full glory! You can grab it from my site here:

http://www.lavalit.com/forum/index.php?topic=26.new#new

Not bad for someone who doesn't own the platform..... but I would like to thank my testers:

Tails and jbrodack

Without them.... well why would i bother.....lol

Yes! :D thank SamouraiX i have reported the problem in borgeneration forum but see no answer :(

i don't see where to download this last dev build

You can grab a new build that has all know issues resolved at my site:

http://www.lavalit.com/forum/index.php?topic=26.30

What the new build features:

Stablility, Shutdown, palette, sprite and all other known issues have been resolved! Plus all optimizations that have been done to date for PSP Memory Handling have been ported over to GP2X! This means incredible load times due to packfile caching and sprite database management and last a whole lot more..... which mean you can play any mod with out fear of memory limitations! Plus much more, In fact too much to list.... Basically GP2X just turned into a PSP without all the PSP specific hardware specific tweaks! Those are to come to GP2X as well..... in due time!

Grab version OpenBOR-Gp2X-008.rar

Lastly, Where should I post these news sections.....? Here I would assume?

Yes just post in news section :D

The GP2x version use the 64Mo or only 32Mo like PSP version?

Yod4z posted on Mar 13 2007 at 07:02 PM said:
Yes just post in news section :D

The GP2x version use the 64Mo or only 32Mo like PSP version?

Here is the strange thing.... I'm finding that If the GP2X uses more 32 MBytes memory is getting corrupted! Strange things happen like sprite corruption failure to load files and so on.... but if We stick to less than 32 MBytes is smooth sailing..... Anyone every hear of such an issue on GP? Thats why I choose to use all the memory saving techniques. There are no mods that will use more than 32 MBytes of Ram at the moment so it shouldn't be an issue.

Back