Open2X Links - Pass Command-Line Argument Question

CJ Maynard

Still Fresh
Hey all, been a while since I've been logged on.

I have one memory card that holds only games for one type of emulator, so I'd like to make an Open2X section that has links to the games themselves rather than a link to the emulator. I figure the best way to go about doing this is just make a number of links to the emulator itself, but pass the argument to launch each game with each different link. Is there a standardized way to launch a game with a command-line argument, or does this vary from emulator to emulator? Is there documentation somewhere I could look at? Any help would be appreciated :)

CJ Maynard said:
Hey all, been a while since I've been logged on.

I have one memory card that holds only games for one type of emulator, so I'd like to make an Open2X section that has links to the games themselves rather than a link to the emulator. I figure the best way to go about doing this is just make a number of links to the emulator itself, but pass the argument to launch each game with each different link. Is there a standardized way to launch a game with a command-line argument, or does this vary from emulator to emulator? Is there documentation somewhere I could look at? Any help would be appreciated :)

Some emulators might support it, some might not. It all depends on the author of the emulator and you'll probably find it varies greatly between them. If an emulator ever used the generic frontend Selector (like FBA) or another generic frontend like Rage2X (for NeoGeo) then you have a sure bet that it does support launching ROMS via the command line.

Once you find out, you can create links this way by either creating an executable shell script that has the parameters in it and launching it from GMenu2X or you can create a GMenu2X link to the emulator and add parameters to the link's "Parameters" field.

Personally, it sounds like a pain though!

Last edited by a moderator:
Senor Quack....you rock dude. I always show up randomly with some weird question, and you always provide a good answer to it!

I had a feeling it wouldn't be too easy to do, but I can dream right? In lieu of programming skills, I am always trying to find simple ways to mod my 2X experience. Guess I'll file this thought away for another day.

Back