Mame Game Links (Command Line Option/script)?

caanoo64

Still Fresh
I have over 2000 mame games in my caanoo and would like to create game links to favorite games. Is it possible to create script (e.g. donkey kong) and have it show up in the gmenu2x game section? Or any other way to start a mame game directly via a script?

I tried to create a script below dkong.gpu
cd /mnt/sd
exec ./mame.gpe dkong

and added a link in the gmenu2x game section, but it doesn't work. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Paul

I'd like to be able to do this as well.

How did you create the script?

I figured it out with information from other threads.

Use notepad to create a script file called dkong.gpu with just one line.
exec ./mame dkong

Put the file in the mame4all_2.5 directory. I then added a game link (to dkong.gpu) in gmenu2x so I can start the mame game there.

In general you do NOT want to use notepad to edit Linux shell scripts, because they need to have UNIX line endings. With just one line it does not matter, but that is a very special case.

hmn said:
In general you do NOT want to use notepad to edit Linux shell scripts, because they need to have UNIX line endings. With just one line it does not matter, but that is a very special case.

Will this also work with other emulators? (ie can they all start with a command line?)

Last edited by a moderator:
It will work only if the emulator (or port) supports it.

I had a quick look at the Caanoo mame4all 2.6 port sources, and it does *NOT* seem to parse the command line, so it will not work! Meanwhile the 2.5 port seems to do it...

caanoo64 said:
I figured it out with information from other threads.

Use notepad to create a script file called dkong.gpu with just one line.
exec ./mame dkong

Put the file in the mame4all_2.5 directory. I then added a game link (to dkong.gpu) in gmenu2x so I can start the mame game there.

How do you create the game link?

Go into the gmenu2x game section. Push the II button, then select "Add link in games" (first) option, then navigate to the script file to create the game link.

Also if you put an icon (24x24 or 32x32) in the same directory with the same name (e.g. dkong.png)as the script (e.g. dkong.gpu), your icon will show up in the game section.

caanoo64 said:
Go into the gmenu2x game section. Push the II button, then select "Add link in games" (first) option, then navigate to the script file to create the game link.

Also if you put an icon (24x24 or 32x32) in the same directory with the same name (e.g. dkong.png)as the script (e.g. dkong.gpu), your icon will show up in the game section.

I apologize as I am new to this, but pressing the II button doesn't bring up a menu for me. Maybe I'm in the wrong area, though I have tried the game section like you said.

Not sure what's going on. Try to add a few games in the game folder first (Jump to the Moon is very good).

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,9

See if they show up in the game section. Once you can navigate around in the game section, hit II button again to add additional game links.

Back