Open Pandora 2

way2cool4u2b

Still Fresh
Now ok, Since the current design is allready there for some time, I was wondering if there allready are plans to make a new model.

Off course there might be alot of stuff reusable like the design, touchscreen (size, reso) etc. But in these times there seems to be alot of progres from chipmanufacturers like samsung, intel, via.. So naturally I think the openPandora should stay a head off the game!!

Maybe someone nows about this info? Of is it confidential?

If not: share!!

Any serious discussion about a Pandora 2 is several years premature at this point. The lifetime of a console is a minimum 5 years, so work on a sequel should begin in about 2 or 3 years. Technology will change a LOT in the next 2 or 3 years, rendering any thoughts you might think are great now totally useless.

Any serious discussion about a Pandora 2 is several centuries premature at this point.
WizardStan said:
The lifetime of a console is a minimum 5 years, so work on a sequel should begin in about 2 or 3 years.
If it's gonna take em so long again, I say better start today.
WizardStan said:
rendering any thoughts you might think are great now totally useless.
Hey, we are the community and we deliver the ideas! Why let someone else do it, instead of letting our creativity flow? Here are already some of my ideas: Pandora 2 should have at least 5 times more CPU power, 10 times more RAM, 1000 times more storage, and come OotB with in-built holographic-thingy for 3D videochat, a fan, a toaster (for 4 whole toasts), a scanner that reads my brains activity and with which I can control the computer and ...uhhhhhhhh... a laser gun. And a teleporter. And Duke Nukem Forever preinstalled!!!! (naaaaaaaaahhhh, just kidding..... that's never gonna happen, like not in a 1000 years, it's so impossible, impossible like, I'd be more lucky to be able to play GTA 4 on an Atari 2600, that impossible)

hansfranz said:
Hey, we are the community and we deliver the ideas! Why let someone else do it, instead of letting our creativity flow? Here are already some of my ideas: Pandora 2 should have at least 5 times more CPU power, 10 times more RAM, 1000 times more storage, and come OotB with in-built holographic-thingy for 3D videochat, a fan, a toaster (for 4 whole toasts), a scanner that reads my brains activity and with which I can control the computer and ...uhhhhhhhh... a laser gun. And a teleporter. And Duke Nukem Forever preinstalled!!!! (naaaaaaaaahhhh, just kidding..... that's never gonna happen, like not in a 1000 years, it's so impossible, impossible like, I'd be more lucky to be able to play GTA 4 on an Atari 2600, that impossible)
That's the point though. In 5 years, 5 times more CPU power might be absolutely nothing, RAM as we know it could be obsolete, 3D video chat may be last years technology! Yeah, I get that you were joking, but you did so well at highlighting the problem with trying to come up with ideas now for a far future product.

hansfranz said:
I'd be more lucky to be able to play GTA 4 on an Atari 2600
gta4atari.jpg

Right now, my Atari 2600 is all I could play since the Pandora 1 is still 'two months' away.

Usually console makers start planning the next iteration of their machine soon after they release the current version, if not while they are making/releasing the current version so they can confer with hardware manufacturers one where they see hardware in 3-5 years. I was wondering the same thing myself about future models with the release of the Tegra platform used in the ZuneHD & the Zii platform Creative has almost ready for release. Very powerful & with HD output. I always thought the Pandora was supposed to be a mobile computing device with some optimization for gaming. If gaming is its main purpose it doesn't seem to make much sense, since the other hand held gaming devices are backed by big gaming companies, have a big name big catalog of games & are much cheaper. Most of the other open source or no name hand helds were horrid failures.I want a Pandora, but for its computer abilities (traveling in trains & buses in 3rd would countries with a full sized laptop is a pain, not to mention likely to be stolen), & computer companies are always incorporating the latest in tech: new processors, new types of RAM, new BUS speeds. I can't wait to build my next computer next year with USB3 & a 6-8 core processor. I think if Pandora did the iPhone model & did a new version yearly, or even 18-24 months, it would be much better.

jahcriado said:
Usually console makers start planning the next iteration of their machine soon after they release the current version, if not while they are making/releasing the current version
Usually console makers have a good idea as to whether they'll be making a second iteration as well. OpenPandora is mostly experimental and still might flop after release. They need to start making back all the money they've put into the project before they can consider spending more on a sequel.

jahcriado said:
Usually console makers start planning the next iteration of their machine soon after they release the current version, if not while they are making/releasing the current version so they can confer with hardware manufacturers one where they see hardware in 3-5 years.

Are you sure about that? I find it a little difficult to believe. Please look at these release dates (earliest region listed)

Playstation: December 3, 1994
Playstation 2: March 4, 2000 (+ 5 years, 3 months)
Playstation 3: November 11, 2006 (+ 6 years, 8 months)

NES: July 15, 1983
SNES: November 21, 1990 (+ 7 years, 4 months)
N64: June 23, 1996 (+ 5 years, 7 months)
Gamecube: September 14, 2001 (+ 5 years, 3 months)
Wii: November 19, 2006 (+ 5 years, 2 months)

So the trend has been about 5 years between releases. Hardware changes too much in 5 years, even at the development level - you can't plan something that far in advance and if it takes you that long to complete it then your hardware will be too weak. We can't even imagine what hardware will be available 5 years from now, even if we are in close contact with those at the forefront of developing it (or are developing it ourselves).

Back