Release Oolite

Build 14

------------

• Updated to 1.82 version
Gave this a quick spin, and it all looks fine to me, although I can't read any of the messages on the TV out of my partially broken unit, so I don't think I'll be playing this much more until I get a Pyra (dependent on you or someone porting it to that, of course).

However, I noticed that it seems to have recreated a home folder inside my appdata, and the player select started in there rather than appdata/oolite/oolite-saves.  Not sure whether this build or the last one changed this, but it took a little fiddling to get to the right place (especially as I couldn't really read the file listings!).

Updated to latest version, and latest lib (switched to gl4es). Also, for ogg, it's now using tremor instead of regular libvorbis, reducing stutering almost completly.

Build 15
------------

• Updated to 1.84 version
  • Updated libs
  • Switched to tremor (from vorbis)

Thanks, gave this a quick spin, and got quickly shot by the police after accidentally shooting a space station, trying to speed up to dock. Seems I've forgotten the keys even though I helped come up with them!

Works well. I'm not sure when this happened, but it now doesn't interfere with my music playback in deadbeef. Maybe deadbeef has changed since I last tried this, or maybe the switch to libtremor did this.

Okay, this seems to have created a file in my home folder again. GNUStep/Defaults/oolite.plist with a timestamp matching my playtesting yesterday, I think it was called.

No big deal - it's not exactly taking up a lot of space, and the number of times I've accidentally written to my NAND in a fresh terminal is beyond count anyway.

Okay, this seems to have created a file in my home folder again. GNUStep/Defaults/oolite.plist with a timestamp matching my playtesting yesterday, I think it was called.

No big deal - it's not exactly taking up a lot of space, and the number of times I've accidentally written to my NAND in a fresh terminal is beyond count anyway.
Again? Damn. I'll take a look.

Ok, it should be fixed now. I needed to hack inside GNUstep, so I hope everything is good now.

Build 16
------------

• Avoid writting to the NAND

Last edited:
Yep, I gave this a test last night, and it all worked fine (tested hyperspacing to a system saved in my main old savegame and got my arse handed to me by some pirate in a krait) and checking back it certainly hasn't created any visible files or folders in my home folder, and I don't think it's created a hidden file.

Hi all, it's been a while.

Just popping in to give you a heads-up that the v1.86 development build of Oolite went into feature-freeze a few days ago.

The new version is on the repo.
Along with the new version, I put latest gl4es. And yes, shaders are working. The backend for gl4es is selectable. The file ".es" (inside appdata/oolite) contains 1 o 2 depending on the backend use. Use 1 for the more compatible GLES 1.1 backend. Use "2" for the new GLES2 backend. Only the ES2 backend can use shaders.
Note that the detail level "Extra Details" is very nice, but will slow down the game play in a significant way when close to a planet.

Also, you can choose the "shrink" level apply on texture by creating a file name ".shrink" in appdata/oolite. Default value is "10". See github of gl4es for detail on the shrink value (in USAGE.md)

previewB.png

If the shaders and the "Extra details" settings is nice, it will slow down a lot. When doing this screenshot, I had 3fps... It's better when the planet is farther (or not on screen).

Build 17
------------

• Latest sources: 1.86
  • Latest gl4es, with selectable backend (default to ES2 on Gigahertz and ES1.1 on CC & Rebirth)
  • Shaders do work with ES2 backend.

Now that does look very pretty all of a sudden. I might have to give that a spin, despite not being able to read much that's on the screen via the TV out that my Pandora's been reduced to for video out.

An updated to Oolite on the repo for those using GLES2 backend, as I fixed a couple of bugs in lighting. That improve visual in Oolite (like the separation between day and night on planets that is much smoother now).

Build 18
------------

• Fixes to gl4es that improved lighting quality of GLES2 backend

So, I gave this a spin, but I found it rather slow and crashy. First of all I tried it without swap, and initially it crashed loading my character, and second time it crashed shortly after exiting the space station. So I made a swap file, and tried again, and got as far as exiting the space station, but there it froze, apparently not using the SD card (unlike the other times it's crashed), and after three or four minutes dumped me back to the desktop.

Using 1GHz Pandora with stock GPU driver.

So, I gave this a spin, but I found it rather slow and crashy. First of all I tried it without swap, and initially it crashed loading my character, and second time it crashed shortly after exiting the space station. So I made a swap file, and tried again, and got as far as exiting the space station, but there it froze, apparently not using the SD card (unlike the other times it's crashed), and after three or four minutes dumped me back to the desktop.

Using 1GHz Pandora with stock GPU driver.
What SGX driver are you using (I'm on 4.10 for reference)?
Also, do you have any package or is it vanilla?

Stock driver that comes when you reflash the OS these days, which I've a feeling is 4.10.

I do have some OXP installed come to think of it. I'll try removing them and report back.

Stock driver that comes when you reflash the OS these days, which I've a feeling is 4.10.

I do have some OXP installed come to think of it. I'll try removing them and report back.
Stock driver on a Gigahertz is 4.03.
I have done all my testing with 4.10. Maybe I should see how ES2 backend works on 4.03.

Seems I only had the one oxp actually installed - a font-dangerous oxp. I must have uninstalled most of the game changing oxps before a previous test run.

My first attempt wasn't promising; a crash on trying to load my commander. Previously I'd at least been able to get to the space station. I'm trying again now.

---

Nope, another crash before the space station. I just managed to load a new game and launch and got a glimpse of the planet before it crashed on me. pndrun.out says either Killed or Seg Fault with no suspicious lines before it.

[doublepost=1509896960,1509896394][/doublepost]My copy of the SGX driver installer only goes up to 4.08, and according to the pnd manager it doesn't need updating.
[doublepost=1509898494][/doublepost]I removed the SGX driver and reinstalled it. It's not surprising PNDmanager couldn't find an update for it as it doesn't seem to be in the repo. I redownloaded it from notax's 2013 posting. Now it gives me the 4.10 option - I'm not sure why I couldn't see it before, either it's been silently added to the download, or I just didn't push down hard enough ;)

Anyway, with that installed and 1MB swap file still active, I was able to launch and fly around a default commander from Lave. It's a little bit lumpy when looking at the planet, but just about playable. I was able to fly around a police viper and ogle the shaders, which was nice. But on hyperspacing to Diso, it counted down, hung after 'in 1s' (which I think is fairly normal to an extent) but then just crashed again. 4.10 driver seems a definite improvement though.

FWIW, on the 4.03 drivers I was able to see the shaders working on the rotating ship on the title and new commander screens.

Seems I only had the one oxp actually installed - a font-dangerous oxp. I must have uninstalled most of the game changing oxps before a previous test run.

My first attempt wasn't promising; a crash on trying to load my commander. Previously I'd at least been able to get to the space station. I'm trying again now.

---

Nope, another crash before the space station. I just managed to load a new game and launch and got a glimpse of the planet before it crashed on me. pndrun.out says either Killed or Seg Fault with no suspicious lines before it.

[doublepost=1509896960,1509896394][/doublepost]My copy of the SGX driver installer only goes up to 4.08, and according to the pnd manager it doesn't need updating.
[doublepost=1509898494][/doublepost]I removed the SGX driver and reinstalled it. It's not surprising PNDmanager couldn't find an update for it as it doesn't seem to be in the repo. I redownloaded it from notax's 2013 posting. Now it gives me the 4.10 option - I'm not sure why I couldn't see it before, either it's been silently added to the download, or I just didn't push down hard enough ;)

Anyway, with that installed and 1MB swap file still active, I was able to launch and fly around a default commander from Lave. It's a little bit lumpy when looking at the planet, but just about playable. I was able to fly around a police viper and ogle the shaders, which was nice. But on hyperspacing to Diso, it counted down, hung after 'in 1s' (which I think is fairly normal to an extent) but then just crashed again. 4.10 driver seems a definite improvement though.

FWIW, on the 4.03 drivers I was able to see the shaders working on the rotating ship on the title and new commander screens.
Thanks for the testing.
So it crash on hyperjump? I need to test that.
You can probably lower down the detail in the option screen, as "extra details" is a lot for the Pandora. They are 4 level IIRC ("minimal", "normal", "shaders" and "extra", the last 2 only available with OpenGL 2.0+).

Yes, it span the disks for a little while then dumped me back to the desktop. It feels a little like the previous crashes on 4.03 in that sometimes it happens and sometimes it gets past that point (and then usually crashes later on 4.03), so it may be intermittent. but on the evidence so far, I'd say it's worth you testing hyperspacing if you haven't already.

Back