Onlive

CODE
http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/965/965535p1.html

In a nutshell, games play remotely on a high end PC, and stream to your console. Apparently their tech means latency isn't an issue. A 1.5mbps connection allows SD res, or 5mbps gives a 720p res (at 60fps, apparently)

Assuming it actually works, it'd be a great thing to get onto the Pandora, since it'd instantly kill all the "Where are the commercial games?" or "But will it run Crysis? LOL!" type posts!

Last edited by a moderator:
On a big screen it will probably look awful, think of how all the fast action would encode, but on a small screen it will probably look good.

I'd probably go with 400*240 just to get the FPS up and the encoding quality high.

Yeah, it would be absolutely incredible if a service like that was offered on the Pandora. Once we've got out a batch or two, a dev should talk to them. That would be a HUGE amount of press for both companies - who's heard of Crysis being played on a handheld (on the go?) at (probably) full quality settings?

Definitely keep this in mind.

Let's hope they're for real. Latency over the internet is almost always larger than 30ms, which is about as much as you can't easily notice.

isnt this basically what can be done with StreamMyGame (www.streammygame.com) and they said they are wanting to port it to the pandora
Wheres the difference?

'drD20' said:
isnt this basically what can be done with StreamMyGame (www.streammygame.com) and they said they are wanting to port it to the pandora
Wheres the difference?
With Onlive you have to play from their servers and pay a monthly charge. The upside to this is the support they will get from the gaming companies and that people won't have to pay out for their own gaming rigs any more.

StremMyGame; you need to pay out for your own gaming rig and it uses your own Internet connection. The upside being that there is no monthly subscription and you have a lot more freedom.

Both technologies complement each other (not work against each other) and will offer users the choice. Both will work well for the Pandora.

The futures looking good for gaming :D

Onlive:
pros-
Don't need to buy a high end gaming rig.
Easier to restart and start different games from wherever you are.
Official support of the gaming companies.
Less chance of technical problems due to using their servers and fast Internet connection.
Separate TV addon box available with HDMI connection for your living room.

cons-
Monthly charge.
Loss of freedom with using their servers etc.
Uses browser plugin which is just silly and might only work on Windows and Mac?.
Will mostly cover the latest games.

StreamMyGame:
pros-
More chance of them adding support for less common or older games.
More freedom as you use your own equipment.
Uses dedicated software which can be easily ported and will be platform independent.

cons-
Harder to start or restart different games without being near the gaming rig itself.
More prone to errors with relying on your home hardware and connection.
Have to pay out for a gaming rig yourself.
Harder to get working on a TV in your living room.

I'd rather use StreamMyGame for now. I really don't game enough to pay out a monthly charge for it :)

I think there's going to be horrible latency issues almost any way they try this.
Crysis is probably not going to happen. Not in a fun way.

This is not going to be a nice experience from a gamers perspective... It's impossible to overcome the latency issues. No matter what hitech software/hardware they have they can't ignore the laws of phsysics.

As far as I'm concerned you get latency with on-line games anyway but people still enjoy them.

With technology like this you really need to look at how well it will work in the future. Internet connections will be faster (and should be more stable) and improvements to the software itself + video codecs should yield positive results :)

I dunno.
I like the idea, but unless you have a direct line to the server, I don't think they'll be able to get latency low enough to make it work. The Internet may be fast enough for video streaming, but there's always some latency, and it's always going to be much worse than the latency on a regular console.

I prefer the "Buy a gaming PC, then stream within your LAN" idea. Latency on a local network is much lower, and then you get to own the game too. It just doesn't reach as far.

I'd say a good idea, but not suitable for most people. They will stream stuff from their data center. Where can in be? USA. If you're in europe latency will probably be like 200ms at minimum... and how can you play? I'll stich with Stream my Game... since most of the time im covered by the same network.

i don't have a windows pc, so I'll wait for people telling me about onlive quality in germany. there are several places with very good internet-connections i regularly visit.

The only problem I can see is the 5Mbps required for HD gaming. I can't see anybody who can't afford a decent computer having internet that fast.

CODE
http://kotaku.com/5181625/see-onlive-in-action

A couple videos of it in action.

Browsers? I thought this was a separate application.
I mean, all you really need to do is stream some video one way and some button presses the other way.

I guess I shouldn't expect reasonable program design from the guys who want to stream games over WAN, though.

Back