Onlive on Pandora

Still i prefer a physical console to cloud gaming.I want to be able to go into a shop and buy a physical product.Still it would be cool on the pandora.
Not only that but it has some other downsides. The video stream is lossy compressed so you get a poor image compared to a local running game. The video cant be buffered like a normal video because of the interaction, so you need a very very good connection with a very low latency to not get noticeable lags. You allways have a big latency in controlls compared to a local running game.

Aside from that, with less than 4000 units sold, there is no way the onLive people will support the Pandora. If the Pandora can surpass the 50.000 - 100.000 units barrier, your odds of gathering support slowly start to increase.

I don't think that OnLive actually supporting the Pandora really matters. It IS a Linux device after all. It's like those cheap Chinese iPad knockoffs that run Android. They can still run Angry Birds or what-have-you but I highly doubt that the devs actually "support" such a device, it's merely the nature of the OS. If the Pandora can actually run the app, then OnLive supporting it seems to be a non-issue. Whether it can run with Pandora's limited chipsets or not is a whole different story, but I DO know it can run on really old computers as well as many iOS and Android devices (for all that's worth). I really don't know. I guess we keep our fingers crossed.

Not only that but it has some other downsides. The video stream is lossy compressed so you get a poor image compared to a local running game. The video cant be buffered like a normal video because of the interaction, so you need a very very good connection with a very low latency to not get noticeable lags. You allways have a big latency in controlls compared to a local running game.

I have never had any of these problems with OnLive. Not a one. Maybe my connection's really good, but I don't think it's anything special because I've never had a problem playing no matter where I was. Maybe I'm just lucky.

"No queueing up to get your game, No messing with Discs, No Big Downloads.....Just Instantly get Gaming!"

Or....

ajoke.png

I :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes to be fair, I was kidding but that was my first experience for a good few tries to get in (and I thought it pretty funny..."A physical disc would be pretty handy about now!"), so I kinda thought they would have got the servers in place, as this is just the beginning and demand will grow, not diminish.

Its actually very nice though I agree and the interface is also pretty slick, the arena for spectating, the previews of each game etc. I've played a bunch of AVP and World of Goo and will try something more modern to see how it handles it shortly. Certainly great to see my aged laptop capable of playing something modern anyway and for free, I'm certainly not gonna complain in more than jest again :)

The home tv box and controller doesnt look to bad either (though it could do with DaveC's awesome D-pad) and represents a pretty good console alternative if you fancy the subscription for the bundled games. All in all pretty impressive but theres certainly an issue if you cant get in, or if they pull the plug on a game you enjoy, as your at their mercy I guess.

edit: typo

Last edited by a moderator:
I do most of my gaming from the "micro-console". The whole experience is "really good" on a PC, but the console makes the whole thing 1000 times more awesome! The $10 a month bundle doesn't hurt either ;)

^ Going on your posting history, are you an OnLive employee, by any chance?

I have never had any of these problems with OnLive. Not a one. Maybe my connection's really good, but I don't think it's anything special because I've never had a problem playing no matter where I was. Maybe I'm just lucky.
You do have them, you just dont notice them, which is good for you. That the video stream is lossy compressed is simply a fact, that the controls have a much bigger latency is also a simple fact. If you don't notice it thats good for you, but that are still facts.

And you do have a good connection as OnLive requires it and actualy tests the connection and tells you if it's to low.

Some people said OnLive dosnt let them play over WiFi and they need to connect via cable to there router.

Perhaps a solution more suited for the Pandora would be streaming from a PC on a local network. You get to play whatever games the desktop machine supports anywhere within your house.

Accessing the game streaming server from the Internet would be more of a challenge. No doubt video quality would need to be way lower and latency will become annoying. Certainly not something to play FPS games with. But some MMO games could work rather nicely.

OnLive worked well on my 30Mbit connection (wired ofcourse) but it'll never work on the Pandora unless they can get the Wifi running at full speed, it's barely enough to stream Youtube currently.

I thought OnLive was quite good actually, really cool interface and the few games I tried worked well.

OnLive worked well on my 30Mbit connection (wired ofcourse) but it'll never work on the Pandora unless they can get the Wifi running at full speed, it's barely enough to stream Youtube currently.

I thought OnLive was quite good actually, really cool interface and the few games I tried worked well.
or if you connect an ethernet connection to your pandora...?

You talk about a 30 Mbit connection like it's a modest connection speed! :blink: OK, it's not exactly top-of-the-line, but AT&T doesn't even offer anything close to that fast (the fastest I can find them offering is 6 Mbit).

AT&T had 24mbps here on northeast ohio. not sure what kind of connections the milky way galaxy has though

do have a good connection as OnLive requires it and actualy tests the connection and tells you if it's to low.

Some people said OnLive dosnt let them play over WiFi and they need to connect via cable to there router.
I have use onlive on my laptop here and I only have a wifi connection and it works pretty good.

Way up north here in ND I have a 36mbit connecion right now, some times as high as 48 (i think), and its not top of the line at all really...

Way up north here in ND I have a 36mbit connecion right now, some times as high as 48 (i think), and its not top of the line at all really...

I never described it as top-of-the-line...

EDIT: I did a quick search for some statistics, and this is what I came up with:

http://www.speedtests.net/world/

Apparently, the average download rate for the United States is only about 8 Mb/second, and the state with the fastest average speed, Rhode Island, has an average rate of about 15 Mb/second, based on the site's speed tests.

^ Going on your posting history, are you an OnLive employee, by any chance?

Nah, just a fanboy :p I haven't posted anywhere else because I don't own a Pandora yet (I do have a Wiz, though). I just think that it would be awesome to have Onlive on Pandora because it's not like it can run Wine or anything. I love emulation as much (if not more) than the next guy and I play my fair share of indie and homebrew games (I'm an indie developer myself) but to have all that with "AAA" titles as well, all on a (nearly) fully functional, indie-built, Linux-based micro-PC just makes me go all nerdy inside :)

Back