OnLive

Fzero

Advanced Member
So I remember some years old post about this thing dying a death ... but I never really checked this out. Wasn't a console which attracted me at all.

Yesterday though, I was dropping some stuff off to the charity shop and as always, taking a browse, nearly picked up a PS1 with some games for a tenner, but managed to resist :)

But next to that was one of these OnLive things, boxed up, for £3.99 ... So I bought it.

I've not hooked it up yet even, not sure what to do, I guess it's some console you have to create an account with OnLive and then d/l any games.

I'm wondering if these little boxes can be put to any sort of good use?

Can they be hacked to run anything else aside from the OnLive cloud based games?

Is it just OnLive games that can be played, and should I wrap this up and give it to my friends 5 y/o son for Christmas?

OnLive went out of business years ago, but I just looked it up and apparently they were purchased and have just recently been relaunched as Cloudlift.  I don't know whether that box you just bought will connect to the new service or if it's completely worthless.

Is it even capable of downloading anything? Wasn't it purely streaming the video, limiting the base of users to the best connected?

I think you right Asmo, just streams them, as looking at the site I see you can even use these control pads with the LG/Google TV sets, which I'd imagine don't actually d/l and store any games.

This is the one I picked up; https://www.onlive.co.uk/accessories#ogs

£69.99 they seem to sell for, so I got an ok deal there eh :)

It's called the OnLive MicroConsole TV Adapter, which makes it sound like you also need some sort of console too, but from what I can see, that is all you need to start streaming games, once you've created an account and logged into the service.

I'll probably hook it up tonight then and see what it's saying, and check any free demos available before giving up my card details to buy games

Yeah, it was a game streaming service.  When it first came out I think it suffered heavily because you had to purchase the games to play and they cost the same as (and sometimes more than) retail, but looks like there's an unlimited monthly feature now that's probably pretty good if you have a good internet connection.

Onlive were at their knees and went through whats called an assignment for the benefit of the creditors , then sold to another mob for a song.  

They then relaunched a while ago.

Cloudlift is a different service/offering Onlive launched - only in open beta  , its a little confusing how it sits with onlive games and another service/offering called playpack.  I think PlayPack and Cloudlift are just two different Onlive offering plans you can purchase under the banner of Onlive . 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not going to bother now :)

I was watching a YT review of it, on the 'WTF is...?' channel, and he mentioned that you basically need to sign up before you can even play anything, even demo, which means entering your card details.

So I think I'll just pass this onto someone for Christmas

Onlive, pardon my french, was bullshit.

Perceptible lag in games and not enough processing power to display games fullscreen.

Dead duck. Why release a service inferior to existing services ie.x box and ps3 and imagine it could possibly be a success.

The mind boggles...

Back