OneMix3

Oh right, I'd probably reconfigure that to act as a ctrl key; I do on all of my other keyboard thus far. Tab's normally left of Q, but this keyboard chops off the left a bit, so I actually kind of agree with putting tab where they have assuming there's nowhere better to put it.

So - a bit of research into this one has led me to a few revelations between what they say about these machines - and what they don't say or differentiate oddly.

What we all thought when we heard something to the effect of, 'dual SSD M2 NVME' (two NVME card slots to shove two M.2 2280 NVME 2TB SSDs into?) is not what they actually meant. It isn't -bad-, but the device isn't what I had thought it was going to be.

The OneMix3 lineup is using an on-board soldered in 256GB (Silver) or 512GB (Black & Platinum) SSD-on-a-chip. Kind of like how the Pandor and Pyra use eMMC, this is a non-removable and non-upgradeable thing. But - OneMix3 is counting this as the NVME portion of the device.

Only the bottom end silver model has an internal M.2 2242 port for a 2nd SSD. The One Mix 3 description on GeekBuying is very selective about this - it is only mentioned on the description of the Silver model AND says -nothing- about this port as being NVME. This is apparently a normal M.2 2242 port - and remember that it is on this one version of the three models.

So - they are really requiring parsing the words out.
'dual SSD' = one of the three models has a slot to mount an additional M.2 2242 SSD into.
'M2' = one of the three models has a slot to mount an additional M.2 2242 SSD into.
'NVME' = the soldered on non-replaceable storage is using an NVME instruction set.

So, I'm going to cross this one off my list for now. It will probably be a fine device, but not nearly as flexible as I had hoped.

So as far as I get it, it's an M.2 slot with B-keying. According to Wikipedia, it should support:

PCIe ×2, SATA, USB 2.0 and 3.0, audio, UIM, HSIC, SSIC, I2C and SMBus

Which means it should support an M.2 LTE modem (which use USB)! But as it doesn't have an LTE antenna nor a SIM card slot (and there seem to be no M.2 modems with either an eSIM or a SIM-slot), using it as a cellphone won't work :-/

The onemix 3s is now listed in your shop, ED x)
Have you already tested it? Is it as loud (fan noise) as the 2s?
If @EvilDragon has them, I'd be interested in seeing his thoughts around these - particularly regarding the presence/absence of the M.2 slot.

Is the M.2 slot on those units that have one NVME enabled?

The soldered-in storage on some of the models sounds like it is a flash storage using NVME protocols and transport - I haven't been able to figure out which of the model or configurations this is or is not true for. I.e. is it only the 3s model with the 512GB NVME flash chip?

The review I saw of these said that they keyboard is 'very good' and touch type friendly. Any thoughts around it?

Linux support - how much of the hardware is usable under Linux? I.e. does it have drivers for and allow use of -all- devices on the unit (touchscreen, finger mouse, power saving, etc...) Is the device available without the 'Windows Tax'? Or are the units the same price regardless of taking or leaving the Windows license?

I don't have the units here yet, they will be available end of July.
Then I can also say more about Linux support.

It wouldn't surprise me if the keyboard is pretty good, as I like the one on the 2s better than on the Pocket 2.
The mouse also feels better.

The 512GB will be a soldered NVME, similar like it is on the 2s already (which has a multiple times faster SSD speed than the Pocket 2 as well).

In addition to that, you should have the M.2 slot to upgrade the storage even further.

I don't think I can get a cheaper price without Windows, but I'll ask.

Neat :D
We just found out yesterday that the Gemini PDA Wifi version can also be converted into a LTE one.
The modem is inside the SoC, so each Wifi version also has an IMEI number (it's even printed on the device).

Three easy steps:

1. Open Gemini up, connect an LTE antenna
2. Cut the plastic to reveal the SIM-Card slot
3. Flash the 4G Firmware (tested with Android 8.1)

That's it. Now you have an LTE version :D
It doesn't have the esim though, but if you don't need it, it works :D
[doublepost=1563932760,1563891959][/doublepost]I had a chat with One-Netbook, here is the reply regarding this:

1. No retail units have the SIM Card slot. Only developer samples have, so that guy had a sample unit.
2. The reason this feature has not been included is that the signal wasn't very stable. They couldn't get it to work in time for release. Maybe it just was their antenna?
3. They still are working on it and later units might have that included, but first the current units need to be sold.

That said, the PCB itself hasn't changed. So if you solder a Sim card slot into it and connect an LTE antenna, it will work.
So yep, it can be hacked :)

Nice, thank you for asking them about this! Now I have to think about whether it's a good idea to hack an 800€ device and probably void the warranty.

Back