On marketing and buzzwords

Should marketabilty alone have a bearing on Pandora's specs?

• Total voters

Id imagine that the p2 could reach sales of 100,000+ if they have the cash to market it.It being android it will be fully functional software wise out of the box.

And I don't think the Pandora 2 will ever rise that far above the niche Pandora has set for itself. Why? Because no one else has been serious about bringing a similar device to market, and instead would rather compete in the heavily saturated phone and tablet markets. I'm sure at least some companies have done their homework on this and concluded that the market isn't there.

That's why I think OPT should be really careful about alienating the Pandora 1 audience, because there might not be such a bigger userbase hiding behind them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Id imagine that the p2 could reach sales of 100,000+ if they have the cash to market it.It being android it will be fully functional software wise out of the box.

you need a much bigger cash base and a bigger company size to market 100 000 units. It's completely out of reach of the current Pandora Team. Let's be serious 2 seconds.

Any increase in market base would be simply incremental over the existing user base. You are not going to multiply the existing user base by 15 or even 10 without a drastic change in communication/marketing budget and so on. That's pure wishful thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know high sales is a logistical problem for OP.

But I also think there might be much more sales if OPT really gets Linux and Anrdoid running side by side or make it possible to switch between them on the flow.

But I also think there might be much more sales if OPT really gets Linux and Anrdoid running side by side or make it possible to switch between them on the flow.

Really? Why ? I don't see where it adds value to tons of new people suddenly versus buying a cheap android device. If you are not interested in Linux in the first place, you wouldn't even consider the Pandora. Even the clamshell design goes against the usual use of Android (its not practical to use the touch screen this way, so you have to map every command to hardware controls to make it usable).

Android on Pandora is just a hack, really. I fail to see the value equation for costumers there.

You saw it from the view of an Android user.

Here's my Point of view:

I want a mini laptop with gaming controlls to play classic games and do office work on the go or in university.

If I can get Android also running it'd be a simple dualboot but if I could switch between both OS's it'd be something special no other device has.

It'd be a big advantage if someone has to decide if he buys a mini notebook or a Pandora.

Most smartphones don't have a keyboard and real Linux.

Mose common Laptops don't have Android.

Pandora 2 could combine the strenghts of both.

If you have to reboot to start the new OS it'd be not such a big advatage for me.

If changing on the flow is possible it'd be a great advantage for me.

It's simply my oppinion but I think this might attract some more customers.

(OK, not 100,000)

Yes if they can raise a decent marketing budget then it could sell alot more units.also from what craig said i believe the screen will be designed in such a way as to be suited to android.i reckon the p2 needs a bigger screen and more spaced out controls so that it can be a true portable netbook/computer.thats where i think it will go.maybe it will lock at 180 and be usable like a tablet too.

I hope they don't make it bigger than it is now - there are enough netbooks already. Just use more of the lid area to squeeze in a larger screen, maybe improve/flatten the keys a bit, use stronger/thinner case material etc. to shave off 2-3mm of thickness of the base and 1-2mm of the lid, other than that the shape and size of the current Pandora is pretty much perfect.

Here's my Point of view:

I want a mini laptop with gaming controlls to play classic games and do office work on the go or in university.

If I can get Android also running it'd be a simple dualboot but if I could switch between both OS's it'd be something special no other device has.

It'd be a big advantage if someone has to decide if he buys a mini notebook or a Pandora.

If you have to reboot to start the new OS it'd be not such a big advatage for me.

(OK, not 100,000)

Laptops don't have Android because Android is a PHONE operating system. It makes no sense whatsoever on a laptop, unless you want to be touching your screen the whole time and want to have all your apps to run full screen, which basically kills the whole concept of a laptop operating system.

Regarding the value part, I don't think you answered the question. Is the above worth a difference of several hundred of dollars vs a device that does Android only ? More and more cheap android devices are going to flood the smartphone and tablet markets, and having Android on your Pandora is not going to be a differentiator in 1-2 years from now: all crappy devices on the market will be able to do it, too. The only reason why there will be people wanted to buy such a device is because it's going to be a full Linux system.

Yes if they can raise a decent marketing budget then it could sell alot more units.

What is "decent"? Remember, we are talking about a company that almost went bankrupt not so long time ago. Don't raise your hopes high for advertising budget.

Besides, the only way you are going to get a LOT more users, is by having a device that does things that no other device of that size/price does. So you'll need great software, that's as simple as that.

size of the current Pandora is pretty much perfect.

Totally agree. Bigger would suddenly make the whole deal much worse, since it would hinder portability significantly.

Here's my Point of view:

(OK, not 100,000)

Laptops don't have Android because Android is a PHONE operating system. It makes no sense whatsoever on a laptop, unless you want to be touching your screen the whole time and want to have all your apps to run full screen, which basically kills the whole concept of a laptop operating system.

Regarding the value part, I don't think you answered the question. Is the above worth a difference of several hundred of dollars vs a device that does Android only ? More and more cheap android devices are going to flood the smartphone and tablet markets, and having Android on your Pandora is not going to be a differentiator in 1-2 years from now: all crappy devices on the market will be able to do it, too. The only reason why there will be people wanted to buy such a device is because it's going to be a full Linux system.

You're totally right with what you're saying.

I simply mean, that swithing between two Operating systems isn't common.

It might be one of the "specials" we have to offer and smartphones don't.

Exactly.

We can combine the usage of a phone with the usage of a laptop (of course not perfectly).

Isn't this great for marketing?

I don't have a smartphone, because I don't like that button-less bevices which only have a screen.

If Pandora had both , Linux and Andriod, running. It'd give me the possibility to use Android's advantages as well.

(This surely only works if there are more people thinking as I am)

To answer your question:

Surely there are a lot of cheap Andriod devices.

If I customers want an Android device they'll get one of those.

If customers want a mini PC running Linux, they'll get a mini PC.

Let's say there are more mini PC on the market and Pandora is the more expensive one, then it'll be an advantage if Pandora could offer Linux and Android.

If people have to decide whether to buy an Android tablet or a Linux/Windows notebook, they might prefere the Pandora, because Pandora offers both.

What I want to say is that Pandora might not convince Android users but Linux user who also want to use Android's advantages and games.

Sorry if I didn't express myself clearly last time. :)

size of the current Pandora is pretty much perfect

Did you already held a 3DS XL in your hands.

I'd prefere that size.

I also think it'd be good to have some more room for the keyboard.

I hope they don't make it bigger than it is now - there are enough netbooks already. Just use more of the lid area to squeeze in a larger screen, maybe improve/flatten the keys a bit, use stronger/thinner case material etc. to shave off 2-3mm of thickness of the base and 1-2mm of the lid, other than that the shape and size of the current Pandora is pretty much perfect.

It's 28mm thick right now. If they can loose 8mm off of that - perfect. If they can get 5mm off that - fine/great.

I wouldn't mind another 1-2cm width or another <1cm depth - but those dimensions should wind up being dictated by the screen size. It's the in-pocket thickness of the existing Pandora that annoys me.

So - I think you're right on target. Even thinning it down 3mm would take 10% off of it - which would be noticeable.

Android is a Linux distribution.

Let that sink in a bit.

It has it's own front end. Other Linux front ends include Unity, KDE, Gnome, XFCE.

Android has a lot of hardware specific calls it can make, has it's own development tree, has generated incompatibilities, etc...

However, it is in the process of re-merging to the general Linux kernel.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/android-and-linux-re-merge-into-one-operating-system/10625

So - consider this. (Note the word consider - I'm not forcing this on anyone.)

Maybe Android Linux is the -right- OS for the Pandora II in 2014 and different users could use or even toggle between different front ends on the OS as easily as turning X on and off from the command line.

Look at Debian for an example. It's offered with several different front ends gnome, KDE, XFCE. After the re-merging noted above, what will prevent 'Android' from being just another front end on an ARM compiled Linux kernel?

If you want a tablet-like experience, run the standard Android front end. I'd take KDE or XFCE - someone else can have their own.

Underneath it all, though, Android -is- Linux - it's just got an elaborate costume on.

As it is now, Android has a lobotimized and incomplete enviroment. As long as that doesn't change, I will reject Android with disgust. That is, until you can run normal linux apps and shellscripts in Android, no deal. I'm not programming for Android, I'm programing for a real distro. At the moment, that's two completely different things.

Android can't even launch native programs.. yes there's NDK, but it still has to be called by Dalvik programs. It's a real pain in the ass to port a lot of things to because you have to shim a lot of API stuff through Java. I had a C program that used rfcomm to talk over Bluetooth that I needed to port to Android.. this has been an easy port to a bunch of other Linux platforms (Ubuntu on x86, Neo Freerunner, Nokia N900, even Windows w/Cygwin) but of course a straight port to Android wasn't going to happen. Trying to separate the C stuff into some kind of Android BT Java interface proved so much work that I eventually just rewrote the whole thing in Java..

So no, Android is not just Linux with an elaborate costume on nor just another Linux distribution. All of userspace can't be likened to a "front end", much less one that can be switched at will.

Back