Ommpc2x V0.2.0

Coder_TimT

Well, I had written a nice long post about this new release, but X starting spinning 100% cpu after a failed memory card eject and I ended up loosing it. So at this point I'll hit the highlights and answer any question later...

First...new screenshots...
green_pl.jpg
orange_ts_overlay.jpg

Now a quick rundown of the changes...
  • Background images in skins
  • Font sizes moved to skins to change fonts per skin
  • New skins
  • Lower hardware volume for f200
  • Software volume option since lowest hardware level still too loud on f200
  • Touchscreen support for f200
  • Screen blanking now turns off lcd along with backlight
The skins are pretty self explanatory. Just thought it added some prettiness...

The only thing really requiring explanation is probably touchscreen support. You can click any list item on the screen to preform what is normally the 'B' button action on it. So play/pause...popup select, etc. You can also click special areas(generally the top and right side of the screen) to bring up an overlay that has general playback controls along with a menu and exit icon. My icons are pretty simple, but they seem to fit well with the rest of the program. I put in some "prettier" ones in "skins/overlay_default", but they just looked out of place. Anyway, the only caveat, is that the touchscreen starts becoming unresponsive at clock speed lower than the mid 160s, so you loose a bit of the underclocking ability... If you find the screen unresponsive or partially responsive, you might try upping the speed...

There are a couple of skins with wider touch areas tailored to finger touchers like me. And if you're wondering about the layout of the overlay, it's also tailored to finger use...actually thumb use while holding the device normally...so that's the reason for the side column layout...

Anyway, download from the links below and I'll also get it added to the archive soon. You still have to edit config files to get started. To 'upgrade' you will need to replace 'ommpc2x', 'mpd/mpd', and the entire skins directory. So it might be easier to just copy everything and then replace the config files with your own.

I hope I didn't break anything. I apparently did break stuff... new version 0.2.2 now linked below. Let me know how it works out for you and what you think...

Zip file

In case some of you don't know, this is the only GP2X audio player that supports bookmarking. Could be an option for all you podcasting and audio book fans.

*****Message for F100 owners******

I just noticed the screen off/on logic was screwed up for the F100 side. The code in 0.2.0 is never going to turn the screen back on. never going to turn off the screen... Please download 0.2.1 for a fixed version. I'm really sorry for the messup.

The links in the original post have been changed to point to the new download. The archive should update soon...

Thanks for the comments. It's good to know someone is actually using it. I'm excited about it again and have some fairly big plans in store as ommpc prepares to transition to Pandora...

DBH said:
Pandora, "the craiginator", the new handheld in development by craigix, evildragon and company...

http://pandora.bluwiki.com/ for more information or check out the forum section right under the GP2X section here.

*************Original Post Updated***************
Also updated the original post with a new download. It was trying to access the touchscreen on f100 models and crashing... Can't believe I didn't notice that. Anyway, should be fixed now...can any f100 owners verify it works correctly for them now...

Last edited by a moderator:
verified. works on f100 now.
Thank you so much.
any plans to implement faster seeking?
Cheers

hacox said:
verified. works on f100 now.
Thank you so much.
any plans to implement faster seeking?
Cheers
Thank you for the f100 verification. I'll take a look at the seeking code...it currently goes up to 8x...are you just needing a larger multiplier? 16x??? Something larger?

@Yod4z -- Sorry I missed you're comment earlier. Anyway, I will add wma to my to-do list, but it's not something that I will probably be getting to soon. I've looked into it, but basically haven't wanted to put forth the effort. I had assumed not many folks rip to wma...and anything downloaded would have a drm attached and be unplayable anyway. But if there is a great enough demand I'll definitely take a longer look....

I'm not sure about the exact multiplier i would need. it would be good to jump a whole minute or even 5 minute jumps would be cool for audiobooks and long podcasts. Maybe you could put the maximum multiplier as a variable into the config file?
thanks for looking into it. really great stuff.
Cheers

Thanks for the great update, I've been using it for a few days and no big problems so far.

A couple of suggestions for the future:

1) It only seems to save the playlist position when you exit the player, it would be nice if it saved after each song, so if the battery dies or the unit is powered off it doesn't lose position.

2) The software volume control lags a little.

3) The screen blanking is a great way to improve battery life, but it would be nice to have a control that shows the info on the current song for a few seconds without unlocking completely.

Thanks for a very cool music player!

lambic said:
Thanks for the great update, I've been using it for a few days and no big problems so far.

A couple of suggestions for the future:

1) It only seems to save the playlist position when you exit the player, it would be nice if it saved after each song, so if the battery dies or the unit is powered off it doesn't lose position.

2) The software volume control lags a little.

3) The screen blanking is a great way to improve battery life, but it would be nice to have a control that shows the info on the current song for a few seconds without unlocking completely.

Thanks for a very cool music player!
Thanks for the feedback. I'll give 1 and 3 some thought, but there really not much I can do about #2. Should have mentioned it in the readme. Since mpd buffers, the music is alway a couple seconds delayed. So once you hit the volume control, whatever is already in the buffer has to be output first before you get to the part of the music where the volume change took place...

Coder_TimT said:
Thanks for the comments. It's good to know someone is actually using it. I'm excited about it again and have some fairly big plans in store as ommpc prepares to transition to Pandora...
Heh - I'm also using it as fav player at the moment in my car :D

Some small suggestion though (or maybe I just don't know how to do it):
I have directories as albums. Load a complete directory as a new playlist would be nice.
Or create a Playlist by the directory name with all the contents of the directory with one single click :D

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Coder_TimT said:
Heh - I'm also using it as fav player at the moment in my car :D

Some small suggestion though (or maybe I just don't know how to do it):
I have directories as albums. Load a complete directory as a new playlist would be nice.
Or create a Playlist by the directory name with all the contents of the directory with one single click :D

I'm a random playlist kind of guy, so I hadn't really thought about something like that. I guess I really hadn't expected people to actually create playlists on the device except on a rare occasion. But I definitely see the value in that and it fits fairly nicely with some of the browser changes I'm making...

Thanks for the feedback...

Back