Omap3520 - What Revision?

twobit

Still Fresh
I'm just curious what revision the OMAP3520 is for the Pandora. From the Wiki I can see it's clocked at 600mhz. So I'm assuming it's the first release of this SoC and not the revision mentioned in the article I link to next.

I'm no guru on these things, but just read through: http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/TI-OMAP3530-720MHz-Rev-E/

It appears there's a newer revision (E) version of the 3520 which bumps the stock clock to 720mhz - an increase of 200 MIPS. It also look like it gives a good sized bump to the DSP. Ultimately, TI state that you could pretty much swap the chips out with no problem. "Pin for pin compatible".

As I said, I'm not a guru. Assuming the Pandora will release with a lower revision chip, will there be an option for pin for pin compatible boards to be upgraded to? If for example one is released which is an upgrade, and would fit without having major circuit redesigns; Could we request (and pay for) Team OP to fit the hardware; Is this something we could purchase and fit ourselves? Or is the installation more than "solder here, here, cut this track, etc"?

Sorry if I'm being naive, but I've just been reading up on the details for OMAP35x, the DSP info and everything I can to find out more about how this little beast will work. I've a background in advanced electronics (simple circuit design and hobby stuff - guitar effects pedals etc - amateur stuff), and figured it couldn't hurt to find out more, and run things past you guys.

Cheers,
Twobit

It's not the 720MHz one, which as far as I'm aware isn't a separate revision but a separate line. It's a more expensive chip and OP has stated they won't be buying it; of course, if TI discontinues the 600MHz one they'll have no choice.

Also, it's 3530, not 3520.

The actual chip revision would be somewhat interesting to know. There's a hardware register which reveals this, and it corresponds with various errata - not least of all, the revision of Cortex-A8 used.

They were purchased before the 720mhz version was even available. So they are the 600mhz stock version.

It's unknown how Ti's binning goes, it's possible that Ti simply realized that all their 600mhz chips were capable of 720mhz at the very minimum and decided to charge a premium for it, possibly without even doing any binning at all because ALL of them will do it. Everyone that has overclocked their devboards has achieved atleast 800mhz, some over 900mhz, likely alot of those devs didn't bother spending the time to "squeeze" their CPU to the last drop either, as their goal is to tune their software under 600mhz for the typical user.

Excellent. Thanks for the replies, folks. Very much appreciated. I'm happy with what the Pandora has to offer, no doubt about it. I was just curious after reading that article and a few others.

I'll likely leave mine stock unless there's need to increase it for certain EMU's. I doubt there's going to be a real need to over-clock though. Besides the "because I can" factor. The stock speed should be more than enough for a bulk of the tasks I'll be doing on the Pandora.

Cheers,
Twobit

Back