Oldplay 1.15

Micket said:
It's not sampled data, it's generated from emulation. (Well, this is at least true for, say, NSF, i'm ot 100 % on SAP, AY, HES, KSS)

Yes, I know! You don't need to compare the SAMPLES (that's way too much work!)
I remember Deliplayer on the Amiga, it worked that way with Mod songs and some other formats.

I don't know how each of the format works, but if it's like mod, it should be possible finding out when it goes back.

In MOD files, you have some patterns and some kind of a playlist.
The Playlist tells you which Playlist entry (and pattern) comes next.
If the Playlist jumps back to an earlier entry that has already been played, you know it's looping.

Last edited:
I've searched for some 'oldplay music', but there's just too much available and some files just don't work. Can someone post a link to good music (like the best 100) that I can use with oldplay.

* IF someone got music in TTA, MPC or APE format with tags in them, please email me one on micketeer at gmail dot com

Yes, I know! You don't need to compare the SAMPLES (that's way too much work!)
I remember Deliplayer on the Amiga, it worked that way with Mod songs and some other formats.

I don't know how each of the format works, but if it's like mod, it should be possible finding out when it goes back.

In MOD files, you have some patterns and some kind of a playlist.
The Playlist tells you which Playlist entry (and pattern) comes next.
If the Playlist jumps back to an earlier entry that has already been played, you know it's looping.

The music that GME support are nothing like mods i'm afraid. They are actual programs which sends signals to a audio processing unit.
They can do whatever you could do with a program.. which i pretty much anything with the APU settings the limits on what you can hear.
Also more advanced mod formats can make that sort of thing difficult as well. I remember playing chiptunes way back that jumped wildy among the patterns. Even playing backwards at some points.

I've searched for some 'oldplay music', but there's just too much available and some files just don't work. Can someone post a link to good music (like the best 100) that I can use with oldplay.

I think the wiki contains some urls, but honestly.. i've barely had time to actually use oldplay for listening to music lately :D

Also; next release will have support for
* Monkey's Audio (*.ape),
* The True Audio (*.tta),
* maybe musepack (still got some nasty bug which drowns the sound in noise, i wonder how wejp compiled the library...).
* and maybe some more. I really want to look into GSF.. but it's a real pain in the ass compared to these well made libraries.

Micket said:
1) No matter what format? Well.. that really shouldn't happen. With all modules and game music everything is loaded into memory before the songs starts playing. Are you positive that this happens with modules and game music as well?
Yes, although I listen only to SAPs and various module formats like MOD, XM, S3M.. It is really not a big deal as it does not happen too often, just thought I would mention it ;)

Micket said:
2) I just put in 2:30 as default length. If that shows up it means GME doesn't know how long the song is. It's either that or infinite.
I rarely listen to SAP, do they tend to be infinitely long like, say NSF's? Becuase if they stop (and become quiet) i can use silence detection, and if not, then well, you'll have to specify the song length manually when you add them to the playlist. Select the song in the browser or playlist and use R+volume to change the length +- 5 seconds.
Ah, you are right, there is probably no info about the song lenght. WinAMP solves it by setting the song length to 5 minutes which is obviously always enough. Could you please set the lenght to to 5 minutes by default for SAPs? If it is set for every format individually, that is. But I did not notice you can specify the length manually, thanks for the information :)

Last edited by a moderator:
WhiteFalcon:
Sure i can up the default song length for SAP only. If you say that it's a better choice then i believe you. I just thought this tunes had a tendency to be somewhat repetitive after just a minute that 2:30 would suffice, in fact i've yet to hear a sap that didn't repeat within 30 seconds :)
I can't really tell why it's pausing now and then, since i've never encountered it, nor do i know any output. Unless you are actually pressing buttons or doing something like opening a folder i can't really see how it would even be oldplays fault. It wouldn't be the first time i had problems with SDL audio.

But enough about this;
I've had my eyes on xmp for quite some time now. (Extended module player)
and i've considering adding this.. but i'm not sure wether or not this it's better then the other plugins at alot of these formats. Anyone with experience in this things please tell me. Thanks!

Micket said:
Also; next release will have support for
* Monkey's Audio (*.ape),
* The True Audio (*.tta),
* maybe musepack (still got some nasty bug which drowns the sound in noise, i wonder how wejp compiled the library...).
* and maybe some more. I really want to look into GSF.. but it's a real pain in the ass compared to these well made libraries.
When is MIDI supported? :(

hopefully when i sort out the last unaligned cast (which i think is causing the segfault) in libtimidity.
(I cannot play it through SDL as it doesn't let me handle the stream manually)

EDIT: Actually after many many printf's i found that it's probably a really really ugly cast that does it..

EDIT AGAIN: Or maybe not. I forgot to intialize some stuff >_<
So anyway to answer your question Miika; It will be supported in the next release (i'm listening to midi right now so it's pretty garantueed :) )

Micket said:
...in fact i've yet to hear a sap that didn't repeat within 30 seconds :)
OK ;) For instance Jet Set Willy and International Karate. These two jump to my mind, but I am sure there are a lot more of them :)

Ok! I have my lovely 60GB datatank and this means I have been able to test more audio-files. Now you know I like the GameCube music, so I have tested some and I have a few notes.

ADP files... I think the buffering needs tweaking for this since I notice some audible pauses. These weren't there in prior versions "choke.adp" from 1080 Avalanche is a good test example.

ADX files are now excellent and I noticed there's more info displayed on the sidebar now which is great.

The files from Mario Kart Double Dash play... but as you know the GP2X just can't decode them quick enough since the algorithm is not optimised (HCS stated this to me at one point a while ago.)

I played a couple of files from Metroid Prime... I found a couple of the files too fast... I'll try to verify which ones later.

love the app, found a bug in mp3 playback though:

when playing the Custom PC podcast (custompc.co.uk), which is an mp3 recorded at sub-44.1Khz bitrate, the frequency is doubled it seems during playback, so it sounds like the crazy frog talking. Plays at correct frequency on the default player although CraigAmp does the same and plays it squeeky too. Are you guys using the same mp3 playback library I wonder?

rooster said:
love the app, found a bug in mp3 playback though:

when playing the Custom PC podcast (custompc.co.uk), which is an mp3 recorded at sub-44.1Khz bitrate, the frequency is doubled it seems during playback, so it sounds like the crazy frog talking. Plays at correct frequency on the default player although CraigAmp does the same and plays it squeeky too. Are you guys using the same mp3 playback library I wonder?
My/sasq's code assumes that the header data is correct. Since this is a MPEG2 file it's header data is nonsense and i read 44100 which it says. I'm currently trying to fix this now (reading from the point where the synth starts adding samples) becuase that samplerate always seems to be correct.
However i had to rewrite a large part of the libmad plugin since it was a mess, using threads (for no obvious reason, i didn't write the original).
Anyway, expect a fix for the next version.
EDIT: I seem to have gotten it working now. Just gotta clean up the code and give it some rougher tests

Dark.Warlock said:
Great player! I use it to play SNES and other old music :)
Also, I've been using an older version, Where ImpulseTracker wouldn't play most of the time, This new version is awesome!

-Arch
I fixed that bug ages ago :p
Since you have missed a few versions, i'll remind you of the new feature to play specific subtunes. in browser/playlist view;
select a nsf or something with subtunes, press R+right to get a (1) on the song. Now it'll behave as a 1 subtune song, playing only the first. Of course, you can continue and choose others, and make a playlist of different subtunes as usual.
You can also change the track length with R+vol

Micket said:
hopefully when i sort out the last unaligned cast (which i think is causing the segfault) in libtimidity.
(I cannot play it through SDL as it doesn't let me handle the stream manually)

EDIT: Actually after many many printf's i found that it's probably a really really ugly cast that does it..

EDIT AGAIN: Or maybe not. I forgot to intialize some stuff >_<
So anyway to answer your question Miika; It will be supported in the next release (i'm listening to midi right now so it's pretty garantueed :) )
Great great great. Brilliant player btw, I use to listen some SIDs and MEDs.
One thing I noticed is that the songs doesn't seem to loop, but I have to press B every time the last song is finished.

Hi everybody!
I've been wondering about some stuff for a while now, such as the fake stereo in sidplay.
Personally, i feel like switching over to mono for the next release, becuase hearing half the instruments in one ear, and the other half in the other (which is all it really does), well, it's just plain annoying.

I'm also looking for a MP3 encoded with FhG as variable bitrate, thus having the vbri-header.

I'd also like to have someone able to beta-test the next version for me.

Next version will soon be out, with another ~10 formats or so. Adding AAC right now.

Oldplay, does not play a .d00 (Adlib plugin) file I have.

Also a .669 (which another of which DOES play...)

I also get an ocassional LCD screen glitch, any idea why. (Looks like a frame buffer jump /shift)
However the player plays without a hitch.

Also, any idea if the audio chip has some DSP functionality? I think the treble is too high (sounds high pitched).

Series-8 said:
Oldplay, does not play a .d00 (Adlib plugin) file I have.

Also a .669 (which another of which DOES play...)

I also get an ocassional LCD screen glitch, any idea why. (Looks like a frame buffer jump /shift)
However the player plays without a hitch.

Also, any idea if the audio chip has some DSP functionality? I think the treble is too high (sounds high pitched).
Yes, d00 was broken. It's fixed now, but i'm working out a last few bugs in the AAC-playback before i release a new version

I'm not so sure what you are trying to say about the 669-tune.. whic another of which does play? What?
If you know it should work in libmodplug, then email it to me at my gmail adress on micketeer (at) ...

Back