Old Lcd Flat Screen Monitor

aaron11193

Hey Telstra, I Hate You.
Website
www.geocities.com
Hey guys,

Ive had this old Acer FP563 flat screen motitor laying around for ages and i recently pulled it out and vga mirrored it from my mac just for kicks, because ive never seen OS X on a non macintosh LCD before :p

I have no use for it as i have blown up all my x86 machines ( my mac has survived the longest out of all my computers :D )

It has a few full columns of ?dead? pixels all in a bunch near the middle of the screen, i havent found a way to fix it yet :S tried running an RGB loop for a whole night and a day and still nothing...

Has anyone got any ideas for what i can do with it? It's a pretty decent monitor if it wasnt for the dead pixels...

Im thinking it'd be really cool to have just a big touchscreen LCD that i can do random stuff with... Tablet PC maybe :D

I'm pretty confident with soldering and the like so pretty much anything goes :)

Aaron.

I'd take it apart and try to reseat all the connections going into the panel itself. You'll probably have to peel back a few annoying layers of foil. I once fixed one this way but to be honest it is a long shot.

If you are unable to fix it then just bin it, recycle if possible (Doing your bit for the environment :D). It'll be a sad day for you when that happens as you've had it for so long. :(

Tag5 said:
P-J said:
http://www.inventgeek.com/Projects/HomeTheater/overview.aspx

Damn good idea! :D
But not for Aaron, since his monitor has dead columns.

Aaron, the only things you could try to revive your monitor are:
- Repair it the hard way, follow Senor Quack's advice. Chances are few that you get it working, though.
- Replace the panel. Open up your monitor and take note of the type of the panel (usually LG/Philips, Samsung or Hitachi). Find a replacement on eBay. You might end up spending more on the panel than on a used or new screen, though.
- Find a dead monitor of the same type that definitely doesn't have a dead panel (eg. no power, no backlight, no signal) and use the panel to revive your monitor.

Otherwise, recycle it. It probably isn't worth the repair costs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had this one before, when it heated up it worked :).

I had another monitor and the pixels would work if I pressed down on the ribbon going into the glass and it would work (must dis-assemble the screen to do this.)

Honestly they are so cheap that you could get a used one and be better off. If it was me I would buy another of the same model with something else wrong (like a broken backlight), and swap the parts out, but that is only if you are skilled with your hands, otherwise you will probably just break something.

nubie said:
I've had this one before, when it heated up it worked :) .

I had another monitor and the pixels would work if I pressed down on the ribbon going into the glass and it would work (must dis-assemble the screen to do this.)

I had something similar too. My Iiyama displayed the screen four times at once, but of course at a quarter of the resolution and not individually controllable :D When I pressed the point where the FPC was attached to the glass, I got normal display back. I was able to fix the problem by using a piece of foam to apply permanent pressure to this point.

Wow i honestly didn't expect this many replies with actually useful input :D

Well pulling it apart and trying to fix it is my first choice, thanks to Senor Quack :)

And the DIY projector looks pretty interesting, P-J :)

If all else fails, it'll make a cool picture frame :D

Oh that gives me an idea, is there any way i can, if i revive the dead pixels, turn this into a digital picture frame? I dont imagine it would be very easy :S

Thanks everyone for the quick replies :):)

morning.png

Looks like picture frame it is then lol

I screwed it by accidentally ripping the plug off of it's ribbon cable connecting the screen to the big board thing because i couldnt get a rusted screw loose to open it up properly....

Well at least it will free some space from my desk... now to get rid of the rest of the stuff collecting dust....

Thanks anyway guys :)

Anyone want a pile of free junk? :p

Don't feel bad. The monitor was old and didn't owe you anything.

I had to leave a two year old 24" monitor out on the curb a couple months ago. I know they're cheap now, but I paid $800 for the damn thing and was hoping to get more than two years out of it. Unfortunately, dead is dead. I had no choice but to upgrade to a 26" model.

Chip said:
Don't feel bad. The monitor was old and didn't owe you anything.

I had to leave a two year old 24" monitor out on the curb a couple months ago. I know they're cheap now, but I paid $800 for the damn thing and was hoping to get more than two years out of it. Unfortunately, dead is dead. I had no choice but to upgrade to a 26" model.
I took mine to the TV repair shop and had it repaired, it was only a 17", but repair is the same afaik.

They are functionally identical to TV's so if your shop won't work on them they are the ones turning down work and money.

How 'dead' was it anyway?

Back