Old American Game Systems To Be Emulated

Hwrd

Website
Visit site
I read in the Intellivision Lives newsletter yesterday that Technosource has sold a million of the Intellivision 25in1's/10in1's, which is a pretty impressive number for a machine that probably sold about three million in it's heyday.

Having said that, I wonder if anyone knows if an emulator is in the works for the GP32? The source code for one Intellivision emulator is available at:
http://bliss.retrogames.com/

Another otherwise unemulated system is the Odyssey2 (G7000 in Europe) that has source code for an emulator freely available:
http://o2em.sourceforge.net

I looked at the source code for both, and GP32 development software, and I am honestly not up to scratch for this, and certainly have full respect for those who take a crack at emulator development.

For those potentially interested in doing so, a nice thing about both machines is they have a fair number of excellent titles that weren't available for any other machine:

INTV: Astrosmash
Dungeons and Dragons
Utopia
Thin Ice
Ice Trek
Diner
the list really goes on and on...

O2: UFO
KC Munchkin
Timelords
Pick Axe Pete
Killer Bees
not so many more, but these are fun time wasters....

Intellivision would be cool. I loved the Baseball game back in the day. It was really fun.

Only problem is the Intv controls are really touch to emulate properly. It was such a unique controller, analog disc and keypad etc.

Odyssey 2 was OK. KC Munchkin was a fun Pacman clone.

Honestly though, aside from the nostalgia factor, there are better games for systems already emulated on GP32. Like Atari 800 and C64 - you can find all the good old 8bit games you could want on those systems.

Don't get me wrong, I would like Intv and O2 emus.

Yah, but I am a greedy little buggar and am wishing for ASTROSMASH and UFO everywhere...

The INTV didn't have an analog disk, but a digital one with eight contacts (allowing 16 way control). I use the various emulators pretty good for INTV games with a standard 4 contact PC gamepad.

I don't know if anone here has tried the 25-in-1 INTV TV-thingie, but the machine is a NES clone running ported versions. It works fine mostly, until you hit games like NFL Football where there are more sprites on a line than the NES can handle. The good old INTY never flickered like the NES!!! {smiley}

Intellivision would be awesome to have. While the controller had all of those buttons a few games are playable as they didn't use them all. I would like to see it, it would be cool. The Intellivision was a 16 bit system so I wonder how hard it would be to emulate.

I would also like to see a playable Vectrex and Atari Lynx emu, those were cool.

I don't think processing power would be much of an issue for emulation, the processor is only running at 500 Khz...

I don't think the keypad is any more of an issue to games than the keypads off of the Colecovision and 5200 (already emulated).

The biggest thing GP32->INTV emulation would lose would be some rally nice two player games. (does anybody own the RF thingie?)

I don't think processing power would be much of an issue for emulation, the processor is only running at 500 Khz...

Very rarely is the CPU the primary limiting factor for emulation. I thought the Intellivision had a large array of custom chips. Somebody wishing to write an Intellivision emulator would need to track down all kinds of information on these chips, or just port someone else's emulator (which may not be feasible due to "PC bias" in the original emulator development).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back