New Problem With Drmd

project86

I didn't do anything that I know of, didn't change any directories or anything like that. I played it the other day just fine. Now when I start it up, and go to "select rom" then "megadrive" the list is empty. It doesn't allow me to navigate around to find my ROMS. If I select game gear or SMS instead of megadrive, then I can move around to whatever directory I want.

This is how I have my SD card set up:

DRMD is on the root: I have the last few versions on there. 5b5 and 5b3 both have this problem, 5b2 still works properly.

Roms are off the root in /Roms/megadrive

What can I do to fix this, and more importantly how the heck could this have just happened on it's own?

infernoofdante posted on Jul 12 2006 at 01:42 PM said:
just locate the folder where your roms are then go into the md options and save rom directory

there is no similar option under the "options" menu. It has once that says "save current ROM directory" but that doesn't seem to help. The newer versions of DRMD let you just browse freely to find your roms... well, at least mine does for GG and SMS, but not for MD any more. I double checked in explorer, the files are all still on the same spot. I never even removed the SD card, so I don't know what could have happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
QuasaR posted on Jul 12 2006 at 02:31 PM said:
Maybe deleting the drmd folder and reinstalling DrMD. Do you know that the ROM browser doesn't show the files in a zip-file? Maybe that's your problem...

I tried moving DrMD to another location and running it from there, no results. I have my ROMS in individual .zip files (IE Sonic2.zip) and some in .bin files. None of them are showing up.

I don't have that file at all. Anywhere on my SD card. Should I? I can still run GG games to run fine without it...

I had that same problem with b4 but b5 solved it, or at least the reinstall did.
Whenever I'd save the folder so it'd remember it, it'd create the romdir.opt file in the drmdx/md/ folder. if I deleted the file, i could browse to the other directory. But when I tried to save the directory, next time I loaded the emulator it'd put me back into the drmdx/md folder and wouldn't let me leave it.

Try reinstalling it, or making sure you have the newest version. That's about all I can recommend, because mine works fine now.

BobBorakovitz posted on Jul 12 2006 at 03:35 PM said:
I had that same problem with b4 but b5 solved it, or at least the reinstall did.
Whenever I'd save the folder so it'd remember it, it'd create the romdir.opt file in the drmdx/md/ folder. if I deleted the file, i could browse to the other directory. But when I tried to save the directory, next time I loaded the emulator it'd put me back into the drmdx/md folder and wouldn't let me leave it.

Try reinstalling it, or making sure you have the newest version. That's about all I can recommend, because mine works fine now.

OK I guess I need to reinstall it, I tried running a game gear game, and I get a blurry screen, like my batteries are dying, but I'm using the (official) AC adaptor. So there must be some type of corruption.

OK so I tried downloading 5b5 again and reinstalling. Same problem still happening. What the heck is going on? What should I move around or try next to get this thing going?

So when you go into the megadrive rom selection screen you do not get a ".." entry, is this correct?

project86 posted on Jul 12 2006 at 10:49 PM said:
OK I guess I need to reinstall it, I tried running a game gear game, and I get a blurry screen, like my batteries are dying, but I'm using the (official) AC adaptor. So there must be some type of corruption.

Blurry screen? That sounds like a hardware or firmware problem. Are you using FW 2.0?

I never heard of this emu causing a blurry screen. I had the "selector" program make the screen blurry because it set weird LCD timing settings but I don't think DrMD changes those.

Reesy posted on Jul 14 2006 at 04:46 PM said:
So when you go into the megadrive rom selection screen you do not get a ".." entry, is this correct?

Actually, I do get that, and it is the only option. When I select it, nothing happens. The only thing I can do is hit B (I think it's B, don't have the unit in front of me right now) to return to the previous menu.

I will try moving things around again, and placing the DrMD file in the same folder as my roms, and see if that works. If not, I'm going to reformat the SD card and start from scratch. After backing up my ROMS and saves, of course...

DaveC posted on Jul 14 2006 at 04:53 PM said:
project86 posted on Jul 12 2006 at 10:49 PM said:

Blurry screen? That sounds like a hardware or firmware problem. Are you using FW 2.0?

I never heard of this emu causing a blurry screen. I had the "selector" program make the screen blurry because it set weird LCD timing settings but I don't think DrMD changes those.

Yeah, it's like the ROMS turned bad or something, but they worked before so I don't know...

I tried putting the drmd gpe file in another directory, now I'm getting an error: it's a black screen, with white text. it says "checking directories"

Then below that it says "/mnt/sd/3 drmd...OK"
Then below that it says "/mnt/sd/3 drmd/md... FAILED" and the system hangs.

Maybe it would help if I explain my folder system: I put numbers in front of the main games/emu's that I use most so they appear first in the menu when I go to games (so I have 1 neogeo, then 2 NES, then 3 DRMD, etc etc.)

Could I have a corrupt ROM, and that is what is causing this?

Ok I'll explain the error messages

- Means that DrMD successfully detected the current working directory
- Means that DrMD failed to create/open a "md" directory in the current working directory, Because of this the emulator stops as it will have no where to save its md configuration files.

I've tested your directory structure ( "3 DrMD" etc) and I have no problems. A corrupt rom would not cause the above problem, a corrupt SD card may do though. Reformating the SD card seems the best way to go.

Could you confirm which firmware you are using as well. By default the MD rom directory points to the current working directory the first time you run DrMD. You can confirm if a default MD rom directory exists by checking the "/mnt/sd/3 DrMD/md" directory. If a "romdir.opt" file exists then at some point you have set a default MD rom directory. If you open the file in a text editor you can read the actual path you used. If you want to reset the default MD path, simply delete the romdir.opt file.

Reesy posted on Jul 14 2006 at 09:55 PM said:
Ok I'll explain the error messages

- Means that DrMD successfully detected the current working directory
- Means that DrMD failed to create/open a "md" directory in the current working directory, Because of this the emulator stops as it will have no where to save its md configuration files.

I've tested your directory structure ( "3 DrMD" etc) and I have no problems. A corrupt rom would not cause the above problem, a corrupt SD card may do though. Reformating the SD card seems the best way to go.

Could you confirm which firmware you are using as well. By default the MD rom directory points to the current working directory the first time you run DrMD. You can confirm if a default MD rom directory exists by checking the "/mnt/sd/3 DrMD/md" directory. If a "romdir.opt" file exists then at some point you have set a default MD rom directory. If you open the file in a text editor you can read the actual path you used. If you want to reset the default MD path, simply delete the romdir.opt file.

Thanks for the help. I got it solved by reformatting my SD card. I looked around and saw that one of my directories would not let me delete it, giving me a strange error message. When I checked the properties of that directory, it said it was 40GB in size... and the filenames have changed into random gibberish. Since I only have a 1 GB card rather than a 40+GB card, I figure that meant some corruption...

Reformatted, set up everything the same way, it all works great.

Thanks again to everyone who tried to help, I really appreciate it. The GP2X community is awesome!

Back