Oh boy..here's another n00b

toulouse2k

Still Fresh
As I look at this GP32, I am becoming more convinced this is the game system I want for emulation needs. First of all, this board seems a lot friendlier than the Flash Boards...hopefully partly because you are all so enthusiastic about your systems...you spend more time playing and less time configuring. I am not very computer savvy...I need a system that pretty much comes out of the box, ready to go. I am basically only interested in NES emulation...although that SNES emulator in the future is a big factor in my decision...that and the RPG builder looks pretty great, too. So it comes time for my questions.

1.Is this pretty much a foolproof NES emulation system for a real fool(me)?

2.Wow, that built-in light really ratchets up the price...are there any other lights that work from 3rd parties?

I'll have more but I have to go...thanks for your time.

Ok to get your emulators and roms your gonna need to hook you gp32 up to your PC. all the cables are provided with the unit. So if u use a NES emulator and are familuar with emulator operation and downloading Roms your ok.

The light in the GP32 frontlit unit is great i would NEVER be without it it is worth every penny and i would strongly advise against buying without a built in front light. there is a tricky way (so i hear) of adapting wormlights or such but its tricky so probably not your cup'a tea.

So if your used to emulators, have a USB socket on your PC and buy front lit (yes its a lot but soooooooo worth it) then your sorted.

EDIT by Axeman : moderated - peronal insults and bad attitude...

Keep the pesonal insults to yourself kitsune. This is one of the most friendly boards I know of, and I'm sure everyone wants to keep it that way....

Whether or not his q's are repetitive ( and they ARE ) you shoudn't be so rude and use foul language with the guy. That was really unnecessary and doesn't reflect how friendly this board USUALLY is. I'm ashamed that you talked like that and made us all look bad here. GP32 owners should be nice - we have more fun. ;)

Please excuse that...

I will now try to counter the negative image that kitsune portrayed of this board (though really you should have posted this in the HELP section):

1.Is this pretty much a foolproof NES emulation system for a real fool(me)?

No, not yet. However, fNES32 is very near completion and many games run full speed. check out the screenshots & features of it at http://www.gp32news.com/ (June 3 news)
There are also several other NES emulators currently in the works.

2.Wow, that built-in light really ratchets up the price...are there any other lights that work from 3rd parties?

Nope. Not specifically for GP32 anyway; you can adjust a few GBA lights that have their own batteries to work on GP32, however.

By the way, you should really check out some other emulators as well such as the GPEngine: http://gp32.emu.pl/gpengine/
GP32 has more to offer than just the Nintendo systems! A good game is a good game regardless of which system you play it on.

Also, this is NOT a system that comes out of the box ready to go. You need first of all to connect it to your computer and register it with Gamepark before you'll be able to download any emulators of divX movies, etc. onto it. Then you'll have to buy a Smart Media Card (think of it as a very small disk for your GP32) on which to download stuff from the computer.

If you buy your GP32 from http://www.gbax.com it'll come with a CD of emulators and programs for your GP32, so that should make it easier for you. They have the cheapest prices anyway (well, not counting shipping).

Keep in mind that even though you may not be computer savvy, that's what the HELP section of this board is for. With any luck, you may become more computer savvy in the process. :)

Yes, please be nice to the noobs, we were all once noobs too you know.

This is the second time you've flamed someoner Kitsune, how old are you? 12? get some manners or find yourself another board.

I just want to say that..... Im glad that, people of this board act with such maturity... It is a rare sight. :)

Sorry for causing the trouble..The boards have rather generic names so I had to guess where to ask my question. It seems I'm a little too far behind the curve for this system and since the board seems to have no moderator to control flames I wouldn't dare ask any more questions.....I won't bother you any more. In parting I must say you need to be careful. I believe this to be a pretty good system..but if people new to it are made to feel they must ask just the right questions and guess where to ask it..your user base won't grow. Now if what you want is to have a small cult following of a great gaming device, fine. But I suggest you get a Newbie board so people like Katsume can stay away.

Well it's up to you if you go, but as you can see we don't really tolerate flames. And if you read through the boards you will see it rarely ever happens. It's up you though, I find most people here to be easy going and helpfull-that's why I stay.

Hey man, dont be put off by a probably drunk flamer who just obviously doenst want any friends!

Im still (technically) a newbie, but hey i have a shot. And what the hell, if someone flames me what they gonna do, come round with a baseball bat, or set theyre mom on me?

Ive had no worries with this board so far dude.

Plus:

LIGHT: I didnt bother due to the fact i dont like the switch on the back very much, petit i know but it sorta looked modified as opposed to proper OEM stuff. Plus i dont often wanna play in the dark

NES: Is great, pure retro. Truth is the GP32 DOES require some pc skills, not super-tech stuff, but just a good understanding of PC's and directories and stuff. A few hours with the readme and im sure you'd be fine.

Frankly, I'm really sad about the way in which someone seems to have been driven away from a perfectly good community by one person who can't keep his mouth shut. This is exactly the way that you're asking to be banned kitsune. Keep it up and I can guarantee to you that it will happen.

Sorry to have to be blunt, but it's the way that it's gotta be if we're gonna keep this place friendly and a place that newbies can come without worrying....

The only other thing I'm going to do is move this thread to the Help forum....

As for installation, the sticky n00b thing covers NES emus and a little bit, http://faq.gp32emu.com/ is a step-by-step through the installation procedure. It's pretty easy even for a computer f00l as you put it.

I don't know what kitsune originally said, but the feedback from it was huge. Shows how much an unfriendly person can have in terms of impact...

Back