My face is n00b red

toulouse2k

Still Fresh
After having been directed to this section and read the n00b FAQ, I can see why some would be a bit impatient with my questions, I apologise.

I still am seriuosly considering purchasing one of these things because I have more confidence in the GP32 than I do in the Flash cards. My goal is to be able to play old NES RPGs...and hopefully, someday, SNES RPGs. Now my question:

If I understood correctly, the GP32 can emulate certain PC games... What about those old Gold Box games like Champions of Krynn? What about Civilization II or even Civilization, for that matter? Of course, I may have totally misunderstood what I was reading...so please don't flame, since I'm in the correct venue this time.

After having been directed to this section and read the n00b FAQ, I can see why some would be a bit impatient with my questions, I apologise.

Apology accepted...

You still didn;t deserve the flaming you got though. Glad to see you back!

GP32 can only play PC games that have been specially ported, and this needs the original source code of the game to be released by the author, as well as copyright to be given up if the game is to be free. It can't play just ANY PC game. Hopefully one day we may have an x86 emulator that will enable the use of some older DOS games, but until then, we're stuck.

NES and SNES are both emulated well enough to use RPGs now.

Welcome to the fold.... Hope you'll stay for the ride :D

<<NES and SNES are both emulated well enough to use RPGs now.>>

Really!! Oh joy, oh rapture...all I need now is to figure out how to explain to my wife what that big charge is from some weird sounding company. I want to play the GP32...not wear it.

I'm sorry about the flaming thing it doesn't happen often, anyway as for your question games for the PC have to be "ported" (Rewritten) to run on the GP32, this can only be done legally when a game is what's called "Open source" (The people who made the game have said they don't mind their program code being edited, and so have released the code to the public), Games like Civilsation aren't open source so they have never been ported, however There is a version of civilisation for the Atari ST, which the GP32 can emulate.

By the way If you want to see games which have been ported look on the main GP32x page, hope this helps

fNES will run almost 100% when out (matter of days)
SNES9XGP is being developed, new version is 70-80% full speed I think (playable for RPGs) ...wait a couple of weeks.
LittleJohn GP is also pretty fast at NES emulation, and out now - check the gp32x posts.

Back