Official Gph Wireless Connector

firefly2442

Website
www.rivetcode.com
Assuming wireless with power provided straight from the GP2X is possible, it would be really nice to have an official wireless connector that attaches to the EXT port on the bottom of the unit. I imagine this would probably be more popular than the Break Out Board in terms of potential audience size. Maybe start a petition? :)

This would make the GP2X the ultimate device for me, it really would. There was talk among members of such a clip-on a while back, and a lot of us would like one. I hope it'll happen, as long as it would be less than $50 I'd probably buy it. Knowing GPH though, the chances of it happening are slim to none. Perhaps a third party manufacturer would make one though?

- Alex

Its seem that it should be possible to do. It may be something that ARTaylor could do. If a Browser could be setup up to work well that would be great. I know that qtopia has a version that can work however all instructions are in korean :unsure: .

Would be even better if the Wifi slotted into the SD port so nothing stuck out like it would on the ext.

Even an unofficial wireless mod if widely distributed and clearly documented would be excellent. I've looked at the various threads talking about getting wireless to work and it sounds like it's just an issue of getting a good wireless device that uses a small amount of power. And then of course, coding the drivers. I just sent an email to http://gp2x.co.uk/ asking them about it so I'll see what they say. :)

Would be even better if the Wifi slotted into the SD port so nothing stuck out like it would on the ext.
Yeah, but if there were an adaptor that plugged into the Ext. port, then you could keep using your existing SD cards. Is there enough power from the USB host on the Ext port to handle a Wifi card? Or would it need to have a couple extra batteries?

Personally, I'd love to see a native keyboard for the GP2X... that is, something small that plugged right into the Ext port without needing a breakout box or anything like that. I know the GP32 had something like this.

--Zero

Last edited by a moderator:
Would it be the rt2570 is the chipset for the wifi stick?

@firefly, if you haven't done soldering and electronics before it might just be cheaper (timewise) to get the ARTaylor thing.

I'm interested in giving this a shot myself, so I'm off to look for a compatible wifi stick... If I understand it all correctly.

edit; See here.. http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Hardware

I've found the belkin one..

Being able to use wifi would be great and I would definitely buy a suitable wifi device if it was available.

Some of the people here are super clever and I`m sure there`s quite a few could figure out something viable, me I just wouldn`t know where to start but if someone does manage it I`d be interested!

Dave

Yeah, I looked more closely at the wireless drivers provided by ARTaylor and found that same webpage. I just ordered this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16833127151

I found someone who knows a little bit about electrical engineering so I'll see if he can help me. Even if I do build this I think it would be a great accessory add-on for GPH to create.

I would buy the one from ARTaylor but the monetary conversion from pounds to dollars is quite expensive. Plus, I like learning new things. ;)

Yeah, I looked more closely at the wireless drivers provided by ARTaylor and found that same webpage. I just ordered this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16833127151

I found someone who knows a little bit about electrical engineering so I'll see if he can help me. Even if I do build this I think it would be a great accessory add-on for GPH to create.

I would buy the one from ARTaylor but the monetary conversion from pounds to dollars is quite expensive. Plus, I like learning new things. ;)
Cool, let me know if it works... (maybe once you're done you'll be able to do that tutorial).

I'm going to see if I can run one of these off the bob with a psu connected...

Edit; @firefly, you may have trouble with that one, rev C (newest) uses a slightly different chipset..

Last edited by a moderator:
i really wish i had found this thread before posting a new. gp2x should have the power to do so after all phones have bluetooth. if not whack a baby lithium ion or something in it then it can charge without draining the juice! be nice to see a joined bluetooth an wifi though

Well I'm trying hard to compile the zd1211/zd1211b drivers supporting these product ID use
#ifdef ZD1211B
{ USB_DEVICE(VENDOR_ZYDAS, 0x1215) },
{ USB_DEVICE(VENDOR_ZYDAS, 0xA215) },
{ USB_DEVICE(0x0053, 0x5301) },
{ USB_DEVICE(0x0053, 0x5302) },
{ USB_DEVICE(0x2019, 0x5303) }, //Add, 2006.04.17
{ USB_DEVICE(0x050D, 0x4050) },
{ USB_DEVICE(0x050D, 0x705C) }, //Belkin V4 USB 802.11g 54G
{ USB_DEVICE(0x0586, 0x340F) },
{ USB_DEVICE(0x079B, 0x0062) },
{ USB_DEVICE(0x083A, 0x4505) },
{ USB_DEVICE(0x083A, 0xE501) },
{ USB_DEVICE(0x0BAF, 0x0121) },
{ USB_DEVICE(0x0CDE, 0x001A) },
{ USB_DEVICE(0x0DF6, 0x9075) },
{ USB_DEVICE(0x0F88, 0x3014) },
{ USB_DEVICE(0x1233, 0x0471) },
{ USB_DEVICE(0x1582, 0x6003) }, // White maplin USB
#elif defined(ZD1211)
{ USB_DEVICE(VENDOR_ZYDAS, PRODUCT_1211) },
{ USB_DEVICE(VENDOR_ZYDAS, PRODUCT_A211) },
{ USB_DEVICE(VENDOR_ZYXEL, PRODUCT_G220) },
{ USB_DEVICE(VENDOR_3COM, PRODUCT_A727) },
{ USB_DEVICE(0x2019, 0xc008) },
{ USB_DEVICE(0x2019, 0xc009) },
{ USB_DEVICE(0x079b, 0x004a) },
{ USB_DEVICE(0x07b8, 0x6001) },
{ USB_DEVICE(0x0b3b, 0x1630) },
{ USB_DEVICE(0x0b3b, 0x5630) },
{ USB_DEVICE(0x0b3b, 0x6630) },
{ USB_DEVICE(0x0cde, 0x0011) },
{ USB_DEVICE(0x0df6, 0x9071) },
{ USB_DEVICE(0x126f, 0xa006) },
{ USB_DEVICE(0x129b, 0x1666) },
{ USB_DEVICE(0x1435, 0x0711) },
{ USB_DEVICE(0x0DF6, 0x9071) },
{ USB_DEVICE(0x0105, 0x145F) },

#endif

If your Hyperterm connected to Serial port or you have USB serial console redirector you get vendor mand and product id on the console when you plug in WiFi dongle.

Most take too much current for self powered operation. The Bluetooth Broadcom dongle is OK at 100mA. The Belkin 54g might be marginal. The Maplin "white" USB 54g WiFI USB takes too much power.

I have no experience compiling for GP2X. I have 3 versions of the ZD1211 source, all appear to support 2.4x and 2.6 kernel and B and non B chipsets also PCI, PCMICA and USB versions, so you have to set #define in code to decide which version you build.

compiling the zd1205.c seems to create a problem, I get a lot of library errors and it claims to compile about 10,980 lines of code.

Once I figure how to build a WiFi driver I will look at Bluetooth.

I'm thinking a box under the GP2X with mini-USB hub, Bluetooth, WiFi and lithium battery instead of the pair of AA cells. You'd have spare connection for Mini USB keyboard, or maybe we can use Bluetooth keyboard (much more expensive).

I have written one small test program and recompiled textreader10 with some changes to check my XP GPXSDK actually works in some sense.

Any guidance on building the WiFi module appreciated. The ZD1211 download like in the forums here must be for the Non-B version as it does not work. The bluetooth driver linked here is worse as it has errors on missing symbols on load, so maybe for a different firmware/kernel (I have 2.1 firmware).

Back