Official Firmware Vs Open2x: Advanced Questions

CoMiKe

Website
blog.0penware.com
Hi all.

I own a GP2X F100 MK2 and I have a pair of questions about the official firmware (2.1.2 installed as of now) and whether this issues are solved (or can be solved) in the Open2X firmware.

--- First one ---
When I boot my GP2X using my headphones, I noticed the GP2X boot sound plays without any noticeable noise.

Just when the GP2X green loading screen is displayed, you can hear a louder noise until you enable the GP2X volume limiter in the System Menu.

But even when the volume limiter is enabled, there's some residual noise you can hear on your headphones.

I thought it was a hardware issue, but that can't be as, I said before, the kernel boot sound plays without any noticeable noise.

1. Is there any way to remove that noise, and have crystal clear sound as when the GP2X boot sound plays?
2a. Is it there in the released Open2X firmware?
2b. If it is, can it be removed?

--- Second one ---
This is easy. The official GP2X F100 firmware doesn't have an integrated gamma calibration utility, nor LCD brightness control.

There are some games (i.e: Rhythm Tengoku) in which you can't distinguish gray from white due to the LCD brightness and gamma correction.

I know about the GP2X gamma daemon, but it would be interesting to have an integrated global gamma option.

3. Does LCD brightness or software gamma control exist on the Open2X firmware?
4. Is it even possible to modify the GP2X LCD brightness?

Thanks in advance, and sorry to ask, but I didn't feel like installing Open2X before knowing if it fixes these issues.

In answer to 3 and 4: gmenu is the new default menu, which does have built in gamma control. You can set it on a system-wide scale, as well as on a per-game basis.
As far as actual brightness control, not that I know of.

The thing to be aware of is that not everything works with Open2X.

I think more would use open2X as it sounds nice but the lack of 100% compatibility is an issue.

DaveC said:

I think more would use open2X as it sounds nice but the lack of 100% compatibility is an issue.
Orkie's working on a compatibility mode that should offer 100% compatibility at the expense of having to enter the mode before launching the app and then possibly having to reboot to leave the mode.

Also: regarding the sound hiss issue, it might be a bit better once my volume scaling kernel patch is in use. Haven't done a side-by-side comparison but I am about to have 2 weeks of time off over Christmas, so much work will be done on Open2X and another project.

Last edited by a moderator:
Senor Quack said:
DaveC said:

Orkie's working on a compatibility mode that should offer 100% compatibility at the expense of having to enter the mode before launching the app and then possibly having to reboot to leave the mode.

Also: regarding the sound hiss issue, it might be a bit better once my volume scaling kernel patch is in use. Haven't done a side-by-side comparison but I am about to have 2 weeks of time off over Christmas, so much work will be done on Open2X and another project.
The ever-continuing work on the open2x project is highly appreciated. But are there any plans to release the F200 version? Or is it possible to compile an F200 version from the SVN? I would like to benefit from the improvements of open2x over GPH's OS too :( .

Squirrel61 said:
The ever-continuing work on the open2x project is highly appreciated. But are there any plans to release the F200 version? Or is it possible to compile an F200 version from the SVN? I would like to benefit from the improvements of open2x over GPH's OS too :( .
Yep, I actually want an F200 version probably as much as you do. I prefer its DPAD over my F100's stick and prefer to use it for just about all my personal gaming. Got sick of the volume problem, so I decided to fix it myself by hacking the kernel ;) Just need to let Orkie and me and others to finish everything up, maybe over the holiday here. Ran into unexpected problems migrating back to SDL 1.2.11 for Open2X so that is what I am conquering now.

Ok, I wish you and the others all luck, I know how hard bug-tracking sometimes is ;)

But remember that holidays is also holidays :rolleyes:

Btw. If the Open2x team needs betatesters for the F200, I'm applying. I'm not afraid of bricking my unit because I've everything needed to unbrick it, tested and working.

Back