Release Official Blog Post (Did Somebody Say "let It Begin?")

I really like the idea of having Enlightenment installed by default, I would like a full desktop environment to use. I'll be definetly downloading Matchbox, the alternate GUI really didn't appeal to me.

Enverex said:
The price is completely wrong, it's £266.20 in the UK which translates to $439. That's a massive difference.
Well, americans don't have VAT. Or there's some other reason for it. Dunno...

Last edited by a moderator:
dflemstr said:
Enverex said:
The price is completely wrong, it's £266.20 in the UK which translates to $439. That's a massive difference.

Yep. It's 200 GBP. This includes VAT, which is required because it's being sold in-country. There's no VAT required for US customers (not sure about EU customers), so the conversion (without VAT) ends up being around 330 USD. Keep in mind though that all of the prices are calculated using the USD price as a base, as the manufacturing and all is being done in the US (and so anchoring the price to the dollar makes sense).

3vi1 said:
I tried E17 on the PS3 and didn't like it at all. I replaced it with LXDE and never looked back.

I'm a huge fan of LXDE. I have an old underpowered VIA box being used as a headless NAS - but when it wasn't headless, LXDE was the only desktop environment that didn't perform like utter shit.

Why yes, XFCE and KDE were horribly slow. Don't even ask me about Gnome.

If we got LXDE, I'd be extremely happy.

Although I'll wait to see just how good cpasjuste's GUI really is. :)

Enverex said:

Price doesn't translate exactly for Canadians or Australians either. Bottom line, $339 USD plus customs & duties, and taxes, plus exchange rate fees.

Just looked into LXDE - it looks really nice. I feel that using LXDE + LxLauncher would be a GREAT solution. It would provide a cross between Matchbox-style grid/tab program choosing and the E17 desktop-based interface.

lxlauncher.thumbnail.png

lxrandr.thumbnail.png

dflemstr said:
Enverex said:

Vorporeal said:
Yep. It's 200 GBP. This includes VAT, which is required because it's being sold in-country. There's no VAT required for US customers (not sure about EU customers), so the conversion (without VAT) ends up being around 330 USD. Keep in mind though that all of the prices are calculated using the USD price as a base, as the manufacturing and all is being done in the US (and so anchoring the price to the dollar makes sense).

UK VAT is 15%. 15% of £200 = 30. So your argument would make sense if it cost £230, not £265. I'm not that bothered about paying a little bit more for valid reasons, but the price is misleading.

Enverex said:
UK VAT is 15%. 15% of £200 = 30. So your argument would make sense if it cost £230, not £265. I'm not that bothered about paying a little bit more for valid reasons, but the price is misleading.
He probably included shipping in that cost.
And UK people shouldn't worry. There's still a chance that customs might intercept our Pandora and apply an "appropriate" duty to it, which we'll be required to pay before we get our package.

Well, that initially was the price and the reason. I didn't know that the price was so high in GBP - it was 200 for the original pre-orders. You'd have to ask the sales team/the devs why the price is 30 GBP higher than one would expect.

EDIT: Yeah, adding in shipping could account for the extra 30 GBP.

Esn said:
How does this blog post affect the Unofficial roadmap?
It doesn't, apart from adding a new link to the sources. :) The next major changes will be status updates for the case mould, and maybe CE testing.

Question for devs: Can we get some recent screenshots of -

- E17
- Cpasjuste's menu
- Efegea's menu

...blog readers need pictures. :) LXDE is looking mighty nice too.

WizardStan said:
Enverex said:
He probably included shipping in that cost.
And UK people shouldn't worry. There's still a chance that customs might intercept our Pandora and apply an "appropriate" duty to it, which we'll be required to pay before we get our package.

Vorporeal said:
Well, that initially was the price and the reason. I didn't know that the price was so high in GBP - it was 200 for the original pre-orders. You'd have to ask the sales team/the devs why the price is 30 GBP higher than one would expect.

EDIT: Yeah, adding in shipping could account for the extra 30 GBP.

Shipping is NOT included in that price, it is separate (an extra £7.20).

Has anyone had any luck contacting the Open Pandora sales team? I've sent around 4 emails over 3 weeks and not even received an acknowledgment.

Is the email: openpandorasales@gmail.com the correct address?

Sorry, slightly off-topic, but we seemed to be heading in that direction anyway. :)

Edit: Oops - edited to reflect address I'm actually sending to.

Ah yes, that's the address I was using - last post erroneous.

Anyway, I've done what I should have done before asking and read the FAQ. It seems there are no more units left (despite quite a few posters on these boards stating otherwise) and that they'll let us know when the next batch is ready for pre-orders.

..anyone know any different, is this just the official party line or are there some free units still to be had from the initial 3000 consoles?

MuteRobert said:
Ah yes, that's the address I was using - last post erroneous.

Anyway, I've done what I should have done before asking and read the FAQ. It seems there are no more units left (despite quite a few posters on these boards stating otherwise) and that they'll let us know when the next batch is ready for pre-orders.

..anyone know any different, is this just the official party line or are there some free units still to be had from the initial 3000 consoles?
There SHOULD be some left from the original 4000 unit batch; if there are none, the Pandora team would have answered your email, explicitly telling you that there are no units remaining.

Maybe they're just busy. You know, with living and eating and working and sleeping and stuff :p

Enverex said:
I'm in the US and I paid $330 for my preorder. I also paid shipping and for a case and a TV Out cable.
Then the bank crap happened and I had to resubmit my order using wire transfer, and OP was willing to eat that cost, so even after the transfer, I still had only paid $330 for the device. My bank said the fee was $35 but after they sent it they called me and said "oh hey it was really $42 so we charged you the extra $7." They shouldn't have done that without my permission, but whatever. The point is, I paid $330 and not $439.

full price list and there are units left to. just ordered one on this week

USD PRICE

Pandora $330
Accessories:
TV OUT $19.99
CARRY CASE $19.99
BATTERY $28.99
Power Adaptor $7.99
Stylus $7.00
Dev Fund $20

Air Mail shipping $19