Release CDisplay or something similar

Hey guys. As we all sit foaming at the mouth for our Pandoras, I've been improving my digital comic book collection. And that made me wonder: Does anyone know if there are any plans for CDisplay or a similar program to make an appearance on the Pandora? I can't think of anything cooler than being able to read my Spawn and 100 Bullets on it. I did some minimal research and it appears that CDisplay is NOT open source :( , but I'm not sure if anyone has approached the developer personally.

I apologize profusely if this has been answered, but a search turned up no results for comic book readers. Any info would be great. Thanks guys!

P.S. I'm not sure if it matters, but apparently there is an open-source clone called CDisplayEx which, although no longer maintained, could make a nice tool to port to Pandora. I just hope someone can step up and do it, as I have zero programming skills.

You can open .cbr files in WinRAR and extract the images. They would then work in any viewer.

Duface said:
http://thedailyubuntu.blogspot.com/2008/01/comix-nifty-linux-comic-book-viewer.html Comix is really good and its open source. Some what off topic, check out http://comicrack.cyolito.com/ it's a really great comic reader, I like it a lot better than CDisplay.

Thanks for the comicrack link, it looks awesome, I will try it when I get home. As for Comix, would it work directly if I installed Ubuntu on my Pandora? Would it work without it? Would it need some of the code rewritten to work with the Pandora?

fischju said:
You can open .cbr files in WinRAR and extract the images. They would then work in any viewer.

Yeah, I've heard about that, but I'm hesitant because I'd rather not have to open several different images just to read one comic. The advantage to a reader like CDisplay is that I can open the one CBR file, and just press the space bar to scroll to the next page. Though if no software turns up for the Pandora, this will make an acceptable alternative.

Thanks for the info and the quick responses!

punkrockserfer said:
Duface said:
http://thedailyubuntu.blogspot.com/2008/01/comix-nifty-linux-comic-book-viewer.html Comix is really good and its open source. Some what off topic, check out http://comicrack.cyolito.com/ it's a really great comic reader, I like it a lot better than CDisplay.

Thanks for the comicrack link, it looks awesome, I will try it when I get home. As for Comix, would it work directly if I installed Ubuntu on my Pandora? Would it work without it? Would it need some of the code rewritten to work with the Pandora?
Since it's written in Python there's a pretty good chance that it'll work without Ubuntu being necessary. The required packages are PyGTK (which should be available, or at least there's not reason why not) and the Python Imaging Library, which has full source available under what seems to be a BSD-like license. None of these should present a problem, although memory usage could probably be improved (I'm guessing, I don't have any cbr files to test the program with myself :p ).

Okay, thanks for all the information guys, I really appreciate it. And at least I now know that there's a good chance of sweet comic goodness on my p&|a . Ahhh..... Watchmen, Spawn, and 100 Bullets, here I come... :D :D :D :D

I'm a big fan of Mangariini on windows. It's open source, but no one has bothered to make a Linux port. :(

For something lighter than comix, people might want to take a look at cbrpager. Plus, it already compiles in OE (the build system for angstrom) so it would just need some repackaging (and maybe new keyboard shortcuts?) for the pandora.

-John

VRAndy said:
I'm a big fan of Mangariini on windows. It's open source, but no one has bothered to make a Linux port. :(
I just did.

I had to comment out line 79 of main.cpp, but apart from that all I did was "make os=unix".

The binary is attached...you may need Wx 2.4 or so to run it...

Haha! Thanks you very much.

Well, now I'm thoroughly embarrassed. I tried that once a couple of years ago, got a bunch of compiler errors and never looked back.

As penance perhaps I should take it on myself to make sure Mangariini runs on Pandora, once I get my hands on one.

Back