Oc Mod Not As Successful As Originally Thought.

IntenseWage

Website
Visit site
Actually, it would seem my GP is pretty fucked. The resistors I originally put on it let it hit 166 but it would freeze up after about 5 minutes. The next set I put on were a slightly higher voltage, but it would turn on and the sound would be all messed up. It would usually crash before getting to the app selection. I figured it was too high and put on another set. It crashes before even getting past the logo screen. Now I've looked at the board and noticed that the contact pads seem to be coming off the board. Fantastic. D:

Looks like I'm in the market for a new GP32/GP2X.

Edit: Now that I look at the pads all cleaned up, there shouldn't be anything wrong with this. The pads are coming off the board a bit, but each one is still connected to its respective trace just fine. My only guess is that something got fried somewhere. :/

Well, there's a million things that might be going on with your GP32 that I can't see from here, but I wouldn't give up on it just yet. The CPU needs to be in pretty good condition to even display the logo screen, so if you can get that far, you may have reason to hope!

What resistor values have you used? Any chance of a hi-res digital photo of the area?

If the pads are coming off the board, it's probably still all right but see if you can follow the traces and attach the resistors in a nice secure spot :)

I'll post some shots tomorrow of the area. I only used resistors with values listed on the Cobbleware site, so intially I used 68k on R48 and 120k on R52 which produces 1.9583 volts. That let my GP hit 166 for a few minutes but then it would freeze. So I bumped it up to a 270k on R48 and a 470k on R52 which produces 1.9681 volts. When I turned on the GP, the sound was all messed up (screeches and beeps in place of actual sound) but it seemed to be stable in its running. I figured the voltage was just too high or an odd value and was screwing with the sound. Right before I took off those resistors, though, I turned on the GP and it crashed before even getting to the app selection. I stepped it down a notch to a 47k on R48 and an 82k on R52 producing 1.9665 volts. Then it crashed immediately at the logo screen. After that, I cleaned up the pads, noted how they were coming off a bit (even though they're still connected to their traces) , said forget it, and put the 270k and 420k back on. It still crashes at the logo screen.

One thing worth noting is that after I initially put on the 270k and 470k, the sound was instantly messed up. The standard GP32 logo screen sound was just a loud beep. Currently, after cleaning the pads and reseating the 270k and 470k, the sound is normal, but, like I said, the GP crashes a few seconds after I turn it on.

Another thing worth noting is that, when putting some solder on my iron, I was holding it above the board (stupid, I know) and a small ball dripped down and splashed on an area by the volume control. I took it to work yesterday and cleaned it up really nicely, though, and everything is situated as it should be. I never applied power before it was cleaned up either, so I can't imagine this would cause any problems.

Crisis averted! It turns out that it was crashing because of the stupid batteries. Why I didn't think of this after all my years of owning a GP is beyond me. It runs great, though, and is perfectly stable at 166 which is what I was aiming for. Too bad I ordered a new GP2X last night (which is actually fine since I'd love to have one). At least I can continue to rebuild my GP and sell it to someone who's never experienced the fun of having a GP32. :D

Oh. My. God.

Turn in your "GP32 Old-timer's card" at the door when you leave. That is a lame mistake to make, and well beneath a (previously) well-respected community member such as yourself!

Anyway, so you're now running at 1.97V? Try going to a higher frequency and see how you get on ;)

Well, I wouldn't say it was -completely- lame. I picked up some new rechargeables to use and was trying with those. Most of the rechargeables I've ever bought come charged, but these were empty out of the package. First time I've ever had that happen.

I'm not gonna bother going higher with the voltages. Knowing my luck, something really will screw up if I mess with it more.

he said higher frequency not voltage.

what speed can you get too now?

I have an original unlit 2x I might solder if I could get to 180MHz or more ;-)

I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to be changing to get a "higher frequency" as opposed to a higher voltage. The only thing I know to change are the resistors on R48 and R52 based on the information from the tutorial. Either way, it's stable at 166 now and I don't really feel like messing with it more. If you want to solder your GP, it's up to you. Try the pencil mod, if you want. It never worked for me.

Well, I wouldn't say it was -completely- lame. I picked up some new rechargeables to use and was trying with those. Most of the rechargeables I've ever bought come charged, but these were empty out of the package. First time I've ever had that happen.

I'm not gonna bother going higher with the voltages. Knowing my luck, something really will screw up if I mess with it more.

Well rechargeable batteries will lose their power if you just let them sit there for a couple of months, plus I don't think they charge them up all the way. So I would assume that all recharable batteries have a high chance of being close to zero when you buy them.

I myself always charge my new batteries.

Good to hear that you got your gp32 to 166mhz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back