Analog Control Pads

Delsabre

Website
nuqlear.com
This is a discussion on whether or not the new gp32 should have an analog d-pad ( like GamePark is going to ever know this discussion even existed... )

and the pros/cons of analog pads in general.

First of all, analog pads do not 'SUCK'.

I will admit that a regular d-pad is better for emulators, but that doesn't put analog pads at the bottom of the list.

In fact, to test if analog pads do indeed 'SUCK' for use with emulators, I pulled out my old Gravis Eliminator gamepad, wiped off the dust, wiped off some more dust, and then plugged it in for a game of Megaman X.

It felt a bit weird, but I could definitely play with it. I noticed that my emulator had a very low threshold for input, which would result in me continuing walking in a direction for a short while after I let off, and also prevented me from activating my boosters by tapping the pad. However, both of those problems could be fixed by increasing the threshold.

Now, all I've talked about so far is using analog pads with emulators. Emulators are not the only thing on everyone's SMC though. I think an analog pad would definitely create an opportunity for some interesting homebrew games.

Also, I've used my gamepad as replacement for my mouse before, and it worked well.

Of course, GamePark could include both types too...

why are we even talking about analog sticks and d-pads?

we all >know< about gp32's license agreement with wacom, this gpx has a full size wacom tablet built in

I like the Dual-Analog sticks on my PS2 controller. They work perfectly for games like Katamari Damacy.

I haven't used an analog stick for any handheld, and I'm not sure I want to.

I mainly use my handhelds for emulation (or in the case of GBA, piracy .. but thatt's another story...), so I personally don't have any games that 'need' an analog stick.

Actually, that's not true. Marble Madness would benefit from one, but only if someone coded a version from scratch, as the console versions don't have anaolg control ...

:huh:

(I've contributed nothing again...)

if you look close at the picture u will see that the d stick is the same one on the gp32

which everyone seems to love

diablo2 posted on Feb 4 2005 at 12:13 AM said:
if you look close at the picture u will see that the d stick is the same one on the gp32

it took me a while to get used to it because is was pretty unusual, but I really do like the d-stick much better than the kind of painful GBA and GBA SP d-pads.

I hope they do keep the same d-stick type design. Just hope they make them a little more durable this time... :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
Delsabre posted on Feb 4 2005 at 03:57 AM said:
This is a discussion on whether or not the new gp32 should have an analog d-pad ( like GamePark is going to ever know this discussion even existed... )

and the pros/cons of analog pads in general.

First of all, analog pads do not 'SUCK'.

I will admit that a regular d-pad is better for emulators, but that doesn't put analog pads at the bottom of the list.

In fact, to test if analog pads do indeed 'SUCK' for use with emulators, I pulled out my old Gravis Eliminator gamepad, wiped off the dust, wiped off some more dust, and then plugged it in for a game of Megaman X.

It felt a bit weird, but I could definitely play with it. I noticed that my emulator had a very low threshold for input, which would result in me continuing walking in a direction for a short while after I let off, and also prevented me from activating my boosters by tapping the pad. However, both of those problems could be fixed by increasing the threshold.

Now, all I've talked about so far is using analog pads with emulators. Emulators are not the only thing on everyone's SMC though. I think an analog pad would definitely create an opportunity for some interesting homebrew games.

Also, I've used my gamepad as replacement for my mouse before, and it worked well.

Of course, GamePark could include both types too...

There are a few things that are assumed here.

1) Gamepark won't be in the handheld console race against Sony and Nintendo for the mainstream market race. If they were, they would be crushed by the huge bankroll and marketing juggernaught of said Sony and Nintendo.

2) This means that the GPX will be a niche market as the current one is now.

3) A small niche market will mostly produce homebrew because there won't be many commercial games. Homebrew is mostly emulators. Especially, if this thing if it ever comes out, is backwards compatible then all of the current emus will work.

4) Emulators are better with a digital stick, analog is too sloppy for them. I have tried it and it DOES suck, much too sloppy and imprecise and the lack of tactile feedback makes it a poor choice.

5) Yes non-emulated stuff would be ok with analog but that will be the lesser of the use of this thing so it is worth the trade off of not having it.

I am not saying analog sucks for other consoles like PS2, Xbox etc. They are great for those because you are playing games designed for them.

Delsabre,

If you know my history at all regarding the Zodiac, then you will listen to me: analog pads DO suck. Unless you also have digital controls, you do not want a portable solely based around analog. You might think you do, but trust me - you don't.

diablo2 posted on Feb 4 2005 at 04:13 AM said:

yeah that's true :) I second you totaly on that :)

The PS2 DualShock controller has 'analogue' buttons... supposedly anyway. Perhaps using a similar method they could make an analogue(ish) d-pad that feels like a digital one. Digital d-pads are only really 4 buttons anyway (or in the case of the GP32 4 microswitches). Replace the 4 buttons under the d-pad with 4 PS2-stype analogue buttons et voila - the best of both worlds.

Or the worst of both worlds...

J(ohn)

I dont know.

I owned a Zodiac for a while, and I quite liked the analogue controls. It really didnt bother me in emulation and it was so good for the 3d games.
Lets not pretend that GP wont make any commercial games for the GP32 2. They will.

They might be crap, but there are some great GP32 commercial games, and I think an analogue stick would be a nice addition.

declaration posted on Feb 4 2005 at 01:27 PM said:
I dont know.

I owned a Zodiac for a while, and I quite liked the analogue controls. It really didnt bother me in emulation and it was so good for the 3d games.
Lets not pretend that GP wont make any commercial games for the GP32 2. They will.

They might be crap, but there are some great GP32 commercial games, and I think an analogue stick would be a nice addition.

I don't know how you can say that. I had a Zodiac and the analog was TERRIBLE for emulators. You had to pusth the stick all of the way to its physical limits just to get it to register. When playing fast shooters you had to thrash the stick wildly just to get it to move. It was one of the reasons I sold the thing. I could see having both, but analog only would be pants.

Maks posted on Feb 4 2005 at 05:01 AM said:
why are we even talking about analog sticks and d-pads?

we all >know< about gp32's license agreement with wacom, this gpx has a full size wacom tablet built in
How do we know this?

johncross85's idea is good. I'd like to see some type of analogue control implemented...

and the gp32's joystick is shit. unless you fix it so the diagonals work properly, in which case it's ok...

I dont care if it's analog or not, I just want the pad. I have the stick, I feel like I'm going to break it. And the stupid thing catches on the lip when I push\hold it in one direction.

toxibunny posted on Feb 4 2005 at 10:47 AM said:
johncross85's idea is good. I'd like to see some type of analogue control implemented...

and the gp32's joystick is shit. unless you fix it so the diagonals work properly, in which case it's ok...

Blasphemy! The GP32 joystick is the best ever, for most things.

Back