O M G - Will This Thing Play - Oregon Trail?!?!?

cb88 said:
heh even i've played it and i haven't been in public school since the first grade... (figure that one out...)
Homeschooled, I presume? Like me? B)

Last edited by a moderator:
palmertech said:
cb88 said:
heh even i've played it and i haven't been in public school since the first grade... (figure that one out...)
Homeschooled, I presume? Like me? B)

He could have gone to a private or religious school as well. A number of good friends of mine didn't go to public school until middle school or later, as they went to the local Wesleyan school.

ingrin said:
I'm not sure, even if emulated, how they will get around the lack of 'feelies' though. It was sort of their copy protection, and usually was required to proceed with the story. I guess you just go online to a Faq or something?
What were the feelies?

Most of the time I was just randomly guessing at what I was supposed to do. That, or asking my friends (H2G2 was on the computers at my Jr. High for some reason.)

In fact, the game was how I was introduced to the series. I have since read all 5 novels and the short story, (which I bought in the all-in-one book form - twice - people keep "borrowing" it), as well as watched the BBC TV series in its entirety (thank you NetFlix!) and the recent movie. I've read the companion book that was not written by Douglas Adams, (because DA was working on the game for the book in question - http://www.starshiptitanic.com/ )

Hell, I'm 16 and we had Oregon Trail in elementary. I forget which version it was, but that game got me through some boring times.

A river?! SEAL THE WAGONS, WE'LL FORGE THROUGH!

chad78 said:
What were the feelies?

Most of the time I was just randomly guessing at what I was supposed to do. That, or asking my friends (H2G2 was on the computers at my Jr. High for some reason.)

In fact, the game was how I was introduced to the series. I have since read all 5 novels and the short story, (which I bought in the all-in-one book form - twice - people keep "borrowing" it), as well as watched the BBC TV series in its entirety (thank you NetFlix!) and the recent movie. I've read the companion book that was not written by Douglas Adams, (because DA was working on the game for the book in question - http://www.starshiptitanic.com/ )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feelies

SCORE! ... i was homeschooled since the second grade.... even spent part of that time in brazil... im currently in north carolina as a computer engineering student

and technically jmetal88 is also correct.. since it was a baptist home LOL

Pickle said:
PSyMastR said:
Never beat the game, my friend did once, hehe.
Thats pretty sad...(unless you wanted everyone to die on purpose :rolleyes: )

Its actually because of time limitations. When each class period that you could play the game was only 35 minutes long, beating the game becomes more of a race of the clock then anything else.

Anyway, if this gets ported to the pandora in some way, it would be forever on my SD card.

PSyMastR said:
Pickle said:
PSyMastR said:
Never beat the game, my friend did once, hehe.
Thats pretty sad...(unless you wanted everyone to die on purpose :rolleyes: )

Its actually because of time limitations. When each class period that you could play the game was only 35 minutes long, beating the game becomes more of a race of the clock then anything else.

Anyway, if this gets ported to the pandora in some way, it would be forever on my SD card.

Unless you found out that in the options there was a way to change the speed of the game (not the pace of your party, but there's a faster mode which worked well for short time periods. Of course, I was really the only one that figured that out in my classes, but still.

Pfft. I'm 37; I was alive when it was RELEASED (lol--although of course didn't play it until several years later on the ol' Apple II+).

(I remember Space Invaders taking the world by storm too, ya young whippersnappers)

To be fair, I think HHGTTG was one of the lesser Infocom games in terms of a GAME--it was pretty funny and had its share of good bits, but really wasn't a very good text adventure (I think Douglas Adams' next game, "Bureaucracy", was actually a better game). But yeah, port Frotz and you can get not only all the original Infocom text adventures, which are awesome, but all the entries to the yearly Interactive Fiction competition, which is a LOT OF GAMES even if you just take the winners (and there are some great ones out there--try "Spider and Web" or "Photopia" for some fantastic examples of modern IF... and if you are feeling creative and want to see something interesting both from a game design perspective and a programming language perspective, download and play with "Inform 7"--I defy you to not be fairly amazed).

chad78 said:
What do you want on your Tombstone?

Pepperoni & Saugage!

(Sorry, double joke. If you don't know the game, and/or you don't know the commercial I apologize.)

I just now got this... Wow.

Why'd it take me so long to think of Tombstone Pizza?

:lol:

There were 2 released packages for Dos on 3.5" floppy .... Lost Treasures of Infocom volume 1 & volume 2. I had bought volume 1. It had 20 or 30 games in it including 5 Zork text games, Enchanter series, HHGTTG, the space games, and the mystery games, all text adventures.

"The package contains all the instructions (bound in one volume) and maps for each game as well as all the InvisiClues, printed normally instead of using "invisible" ink."

There were also hint books / walkthroughs or hints noted on the maps. If you can find a copy, the documentation alone would be worth it. I got mine over 10 years ago on a clearance shelf for $20.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Treasures_of_Infocom

I know people have already linked to HHGTTG, but the BBC made remastered versions with images so you can see what's onscreen to interact with - you can play the two version they made here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/game.shtml. I look forward to playing it on Pandora, it's really good, but damn difficult. I'll give Oregon Trail a go, if only to kill off my people in amusing ways. I grew up in the UK, so I've never played it.

I'm 18 and have lived in the UK for all my life, yet have played Oregon Trail, tis an excellent game.

Back