Nworksdev N64 Emulator On Iphone

ari64

Magic Emulator Fairy
I wonder how this 14-year-old developed a N64 emulator so quickly.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/07/iphone-3gs-emulates-n64-blows-minds-in-the-process/

There isn't yet enough to judge if it is even real.

Maybe you should ask some detailed questions on the youtube page and see if he deletes them.

Who knows if it's real. I just thought it was funny (and Engadget is gullible).

Very interesting. But I think he might just be acting out the finger movements to a prerecorded video. We will see soon enough whether this is real or not, but I'm pretty skeptical at the moment.

Edit: Skeptics assemble!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIwfpss9av0

I'd like to know what developers he was talking to that deemed it impossible. I've heard a lot of suggestions that it's possible, just very hard to do.
And don't believe it's fake just because it's suddenly out of nowhere. Way way back in the day (the day being sometime in late 98 or so) people had been having trouble making progress on their N64 emulators for months when UltraHLE just suddenly popped up with almost no warning. I would not be entirely surprised if it were to happen again.

craigix said:
It's just the lack of detail puzzling people. Why didn't he just post the bin?
From the youtube comments, he wants to sell it.

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
I'd like to know what developers he was talking to that deemed it impossible. I've heard a lot of suggestions that it's possible, just very hard to do.
And don't believe it's fake just because it's suddenly out of nowhere. Way way back in the day (the day being sometime in late 98 or so) people had been having trouble making progress on their N64 emulators for months when UltraHLE just suddenly popped up with almost no warning. I would not be entirely surprised if it were to happen again.

True, but I have serious doubt that it would come from a fourteen year old who specializes in XCode and Flash Actionscript.

Fake emulators are a dime a dozen in general, but N64 for non-PC platforms seems to be the biggest target I've ever seen. I remember fakes for Dreamcast, PS2, and at least three for PSP (before Daedalus came out).

Not saying this is definitely fake, but there are several red flags here. Let's run through the lot of them:

- That it's being presented as videos when it's this mature and could be distributed for real.
- Is made for iPhone 3G too. The performance would probably be abysmal.
- Zero discussion that shows any technical insight into how to emulate an N64.
- Massive amount of media hype.
- Code screenshot of "N64AppEmuDelegate.m" - can someone tell me if this is tied to iPhone development, because all that registers to me is Matlab scripting.
- "It's what developers deemed impossible" no they didn't, and I don't think an actual developer would say something this silly. This right here looks like fan hype.
- "Uses stunning control and ROM interpretation", come on, what? Overall BS factor aside I think any developer of an N64 emulator, ie someone who knows what a recompiler is, would shy away from calling their emulator a "ROM interpreter", even if it could be argued to be technically accurate.
- "The only problems i'm running into is duplicate button registers, delay of presses, and crashes when heavy gameplay occurs." The first two sound less like plausible emulator bugs and more like problems synchronizing with your hoax video. If you can get an N64 emulator running this noticeable input latency should hardly be a problem. The crashing sounds pretty off too, since an emulator is generally agnostic to what you perceive as "heavy gameplay", although there could perhaps be some correlation; it's pretty unlikely. Probably more an excuse for why he intends to release it in the spring instead of now.
- "Rendered down graphics".. that is supposed to be obvious.. what would this vague statement really mean? Mario 64 is a 320x240 game, what is "rendered down" here? I think what he's really referring to are video artifacts due to compression.
- Missing buttons; again, if you could make it this far how hard would it be to go the extra mile and get the controls right before making the videos.
- Harping on being 14 years old. Yes, it's possible for a 14 year old to be as good at developing emulators as someone twice his age, although it's far less likely. The bigger point is him constantly pointing this out - if I were 14 and did an emulator I probably wouldn't want to immediately reveal my age because I'd want people to take me seriously. Like with many other things this kid seems desperate for attention and recognition that he's some kind of special prodigy.

So yeah, let's just say I wouldn't hesitate to put money on this being a lie.

EDIT: He plans on SELLING it? Oh dear. Bet there'll be preorders then -_-

- Code screenshot of "N64AppEmuDelegate.m" - can someone tell me if this is tied to iPhone development, because all that registers to me is Matlab scripting
I think it's one of the default files that are made when you create a new XCode project. The Application Delegate is the objc class that is run after UIApplicationMain() is called in main().

This is pretty funny, You can see more retardation here: http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news/693915-3g4-n64-emulator-iphone-3gs-preview.html

From Adventus' link:
There are of course the usual problems with any project in development such as "duplicate button registers, delay of presses, and crashes when heavy gameplay occurs. "
That's some slick journalism right there.

Gruso said:
From Adventus' link:
There are of course the usual problems with any project in development such as "duplicate button registers, delay of presses, and crashes when heavy gameplay occurs. "
That's some slick journalism right there.

That heavy gameplay is serious business, don't ya know...

Did some googling just for the heck of it. You can't tell me that this guy is capable of coding an emulator, the following thread is three weeks old and concerns a very basic game that he worked four, no, wait, two months on. I'll let his posts speak for themselves:

http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265213

[quote name = nworksdev]Lets point out a few things here. We worked on SEVERAL points of this game, from on screen controls to seperate levels, to anything. we worked hours on end to get anything to work. This is ASMs first game. Hes effing 13, and when this app came out we were all so happy. way to go and take a sh*t on his first actual app accomplishment. Now i admit it may not be the shiniest and best app ever, but hell do you really expect us to develop Sims 3 or something? pathetic, at least show SOME sort of appreciation for young developers trying to make a first impression. this article is depressing.[/quote]http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1947981#post1947981

Look i never said you personally were depressing or pathetic. Nor did i say this wasn't an honest review. What I am pointing out is that I didn;t see but one compliment or an attempt to say that this was a good application. Not just because i helped make it, only because ASM is feeling a little beat right now, and i don;t care if you talked to him, i talk to him too. And forty year old? Where the hell did you get that from? I knew you were younger than that, so yeah. I'm not even insulting you in any way, so don;t take it that i am. calling me pathetic and depressing because i said it was a bad review is downright immature. So i thought it was a bad review, who cares? I'm one person. Don;t be hating on me because i;m hating on something you WROTE, not personally YOU.

sorry for any misunderstanding,
nick
http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1948026#post1948026

Goddammit really? ASM Already accepted it sucks, and so do i. No need to further punch him in the face with it. And really iPhone dev is a lot harder than it seems, trust me. And it didnt take 4 months, it took 2 month, on and off.
http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1948036#post1948036

Gruso said:
From Adventus' link:
He probably had difficulty with the button presses because that's the only code he actually wrote.

As for the crashes, I know pretty well which games work and which don't. If he compiled mupen and distributed it, it would be really obvious.

Ari64 said:
Gruso said:
From Adventus' link:
He probably had difficulty with the button presses because that's the only code he actually wrote.

As for the crashes, I know pretty well which games work and which don't. If he compiled mupen and distributed it, it would be really obvious.
That would be pretty funny considering his videos where he accuses someone of stealing his "code":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CTCY3qL4gc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5Im8k39PdI

As you guys know, a few weeks ago my code for Roller Baller 1.1 (not yet released) was leaked to the internet accidentally. This version contained a scoring system, a pause button (that didn't work, as his didn't either) , and a support button. Upon the time it was leaked, Anthony's game just recently came out. I bought it to examine it, and as predicted is about identical to Roller Baller with the lack of a High Score system. My question, Did he RELLY develop this himself? Or did he modify my Roller Baller code like he does for all of his app? Interesting timing. I don't like any of it.

Ooooh, internet drama!

From what I gather I doubt he would even have the knowledge how to include your core in XCode. I think we have wasted enough time and attention on him, but there could still be some entertaining developments, so I'll watch what happens next.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKYVCpD1938

Hee. I didn't believe him but his words have convinced me :>

Back