Iphone 3Gs' Sgx More Powerful Then The Pandora's?

MDave

ZEQ2 Lite Developer
United Kingdom, North East Wales, Buckley
Website
www.zeq2.com
I've been doing some research on both devices graphics chips, and discovered that the iPhone 3GS has the 535, while the Pandora has the 530.

According to wikipedia's article on the SGX variants, there is twice the performance between them at least when rendering polygons.

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/06/25/iphone-3gs-has-more-powerful-powervr-sgx-535-gpu/

Yeah, it's an old article, but it comes across as a bit of a shock to me if it's true. Would be nice if the Pandora's SGX was this variant too, and if there is any further delays, why not upgrade it like what happened with the RAM? Oh wait ... too late for that now I think :p

Maybe some developers that have worked with both can make me feel better if they tell me the performance gain wouldn't really be noticeable ... but I don't know. Looks like a missed opportunity if there was one.

PS: I didn't want to post this in the Pandora forum section because I thought I would get flamed for talking about this. If it is suitable for the Pandora forums, can a mod move it there for me?

MDave said:
I've been doing some research on both devices graphics chips, and discovered that the iPhone 3GS has the 535, while the Pandora has the 530.

According to wikipedia's article on the SGX variants, there is twice the performance between them at least when rendering polygons.

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/06/25/iphone-3gs-has-more-powerful-powervr-sgx-535-gpu/

Yeah, it's an old article, but it comes across as a bit of a shock to me if it's true. Would be nice if the Pandora's SGX was this variant too, and if there is any further delays, why not upgrade it like what happened with the RAM? Oh wait ... too late for that now I think :p

Maybe some developers that have worked with both can make me feel better if they tell me the performance gain wouldn't really be noticeable ... but I don't know. Looks like a missed opportunity if there was one.

PS: I didn't want to post this in the Pandora forum section because I thought I would get flamed for talking about this. If it is suitable for the Pandora forums, can a mod move it there for me?

That game could be played forever! While modifying the system for the new gfx chip, the main chip will be upgraded or faster ram will be available or a screen that uses less energy will be available or a more dense battery type will come out...
Eventually you have to stop and just release the thing. It's been delayed enough already.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing is though, with it being a SoC (system on a chip) design, and the only difference is speed there wouldn't be a delay because it's physically the same chip :)
Just like how we got a RAM upgrade that didn't delay it's production, because of how it's designed.

Note though that I'm not demanding for it to be upgraded, I'm just wondering if OpenPandora took it into account at all :). I know it's too late with them producing and testing 105 boards, but if it changes nothing critical if the chip was upgraded to the 535, then hey, I don't mind paying that little bit more for theoretically double the 3D performance. :)

IIRC they have the 535 driver installed but it's actually a 350. There was discussion about this on the Pandora forum before. There's still nothing solid though.

Back