nVIDIA SHIELD™ Portable 2 - Coming soon?

Thats what they came into the launch with, most people and the press thinking it was a replacement.  The launch material had one line saying they would continue to support the current Shield.  One line  in all the launch material to turn the confusion train that had already built up steam.  It was not surprising that a lot of tech sites including Engadget wrote stories like this after launch :http://www.engadget....-shield-tablet/
From your link:

With Shield Tablet and Gamepad, NVIDIA is expanding its line of consumer products by two. The original NVIDIA Shield becomes "Shield Portable" and, NVIDIA says, it'll remain in feature parity with the new Shield Tablet for the foreseeable future.

Edit: /me is confused about confused people writing articles

Looks to be an edit that was added in at some later time to the end of the article .  You can see in the original article the confused bits that still remain unedited out.

How about

"Shield Tablet dumps the original Shield's 5-inch screen in favor of a bigger 8-inch, 1080p display, swaps the original Tegra 4 in favor of K1 and drops the controller bit entirely. "

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats what they came into the launch with, most people and the press thinking it was a replacement.  The launch material had one line saying they would continue to support the current Shield.  One line  in all the launch material to turn the confusion train that had already built up steam.  It was not surprising that a lot of tech sites including Engadget wrote stories like this after launch :http://www.engadget....-shield-tablet/
From your link:

With Shield Tablet and Gamepad, NVIDIA is expanding its line of consumer products by two. The original NVIDIA Shield becomes "Shield Portable" and, NVIDIA says, it'll remain in feature parity with the new Shield Tablet for the foreseeable future.

Edit: /me is confused about confused people writing articles

That bit must have been a later edited in update at the end of the article .  You can see in the original article the confused bits that still remain unedited out.

How about

"Shield Tablet dumps the original Shield's 5-inch screen in favor of a bigger 8-inch, 1080p display, swaps the original Tegra 4 in favor of K1 and drops the controller bit entirely. "
That looks like comparison, not confusion.

@rygD

That doesn't look anything like a comparison.  That was saying in the original unedited article that it was a replacement (which is incorrect) - As I said initially. I would not have pointed that article out otherwise. 

@rygD

That's doesn't look anything like comparison.  That was saying in the original article that it was a replacement - As I said initially. I would not have pointed that article out otherwise.
ok.

i don't really care.

I'm going to guess that the Shield 2 handheld comes out with a 64 bit K1 later on this year.  That's my guess anyway.  Probably be way off :)

Even if there is no Shield 2 - and I'm betting there will be.  There will always be the next round of Chinese Rockchip handhelds with the RK3288. The benchmarks for that SOC seem quite good from early results ive seen.

Whoops, I forgot to mention that I need me some high quality built hardware that's going to make me jizz in my pants.
If high quality HW has that effect on you, then I'm not coming over to your place after you getting such new quality HW  :p

Question for everyone . Which form factor do you prefer . The Shield Handheld or the Shield Tablet + Removable Controller like the STG One

If they were around the same price or, if the tablet + stg one was $80 more with the one off expense of the stg one. I'd prefer the Tablet + Stg One form factor. Just as portable really - both go into a bag or suit case. But the tab+stg One would give a much bigger screen which I much prefer. Plus it would be better for touch based games. Of course it has the added bonus of being a tablet.

What about everyone else?

ie this

shield-jellybean.jpg

or this

https://www.youtube.com/embed/BZmW7ku4xrg?feature=oembed

None of these designs. I want something like Pyra :) but with a K1 processor. Perhaps NVIDIA should approach Ed and buy out his Pyra design so they can use it with Tegra K1 = Love :)

I reckon until Google really make an effort to make premium games and android exclusive titles ie an Uncharted type game or something wholly original android has come as far as it can to this point for this to progress further and become a gaming heavyweight new original titles need to appear with good storylines and gameplay something which is lacking on android at this moment , the whole android experience has gone pretty stale recently and no high tech hardware however groundbreaking or responsive it is is no use without AAA games to show it off.

Whoops, I forgot to mention that I need me some high quality built hardware that's going to make me jizz in my pants.

If high quality HW has that effect on you, then I'm not coming over to your place after you getting such new quality HW  :p
Speaking of which...you haven't been over to my place for years! Come over to catch up next month ok, it's my b'day.

I think Android TV consoles are the great hope for android controller based games and luring in game devs. I think it has a fair chance of doing just that.

@SONY. , hey birthday hey, hmm, sounds like a piss up op to me. Awesome

Back