Notes2x Wip Text Editor

techFreak

Website
Visit site
I was working on an onscreen keyboard / text editor. Here's a very early release. You might figure out how easy to type with this utility. B)

HOW TO USE:

Use stick to change the letter blocks.
A, B, X, Y to Type
L Trigger : Back space
R Trigger : Space
SELECT : Change characters (not completed yet)
START : Quit

Download notes2x

I'm waiting for your comments. :ph34r:

I tried this a while ago of course and i think it is excellent, if there is a better way to type on the gp2x than this i'd like to see it! :)

Ooh, I like it.. :)

Although maybe you could split the textblocks up into two rows of textblocks intead of the one row it is now. Makes for less use of the stick, which seems to be the only factor that slows things down as of yet..
You could then also add more characters to the ammount of inputabble characters.. :) Numbers, for example, which you could place on the far right side of the virtual keyboard.

Anyways, even if you stick to the one-rowed system you currently have, this could be fast enough to be the "standard" config editor (which, blasphemy!, the GP2x currently lacks. Sort of). You need to be able to move the cursor around to do that, though. I suggest doing that with the SELECT key, and using the volup/voldown buttons to change between character sets (or some other feature).

3x5 (4x6 if including whitespace) monospaced font would be nice (for reading ebooks, too! Damn them 80-characters-wide standards!)..

craigix posted on Aug 27 2006 at 03:39 PM said:
I tried this a while ago of course and i think it is excellent, if there is a better way to type on the gp2x than this i'd like to see it! :)

sounds like a challenge hehe (i'm currently working on my own input method for the gp2x, that's why)

Last edited by a moderator:
just tried it, I concur with craigix, it"s the best way to type on the gp2x.. so far ;)

I like it! Very fast way of inputting text.

Now if it could just open text files and let me edit them that would be great.

I was working on something along similar lines, until my job started really kicking my ass again. :D

My oddball virtual keyboard idea

I was using a different layout. Instead of the abcdefg format, I was grouping letters by frequency. It's nice to see that someone else was working in the same general direction. Very cool. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If any of you have tried linksbox, the port of links that runs natively on the Xbox, you would probably agree that is the best way to efficiently type with a joystick and buttons. Check it out!

Back