Nortan Anti-virus, A Virus Itself?

If you're using windows I would recommend getting adaware (free version), spybot search and destroy, and a good firewall (NOT MICROSOFTS!). I have norton but that is only because of my dad, I wanted to use a copy of zone alarm that I got from a friend (perfectly legaglly :D ), but its hard to argue with him when its his computer. Anyways, it seems to work pretty well. The only real problem I found was that it slowed the computer down (sometimes quite a bit). But what I would really recommend is that you install linux on your pc. I have always wanted to try out gentoo linux but haven't been able to but it looks great. Linux is the best os out there IMHO and you won't have to worry about viruses because people haven't made any for linux (at least not that i'm aware of). Its a much more stable os and it is very customizable. Its biggest problem is that companies don't write drivers for it, so it is possible that not all of your devices will work properly with it. But usually if you use mostly standard stuff you should be able to get generic drivers for most if not all of your stuff.

skysnapper posted on Aug 22 2005 at 09:12 PM said:
AVAST

Tried AVG when i went for reinstall with 2000 as heard a lot of people used it

I found it poor tbh, the month i had it on my pc got by quite a few trojans in that time.. barely had one for 3 years and it was shite at getting rid of them. I had to manully remove one of the buggers.

Went back to AVAST which i had been using for 2 years and my pc feels safe again :)
AVAST pretty much gets updates every 1 or 2 days lot more than.
Cheers.. I give it a shot later on my laptop (AVG is screwed up on that.. ¬¬)

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone actually on broadband should really think of using a NAT based router instead of directly connecting their PC to the NET.

If you're THAT worried about security, there's nothing better than a little box doing the security for you. It's much safer than trusting a piece of software, it also free's up your PC instead of wasting CPU power routing IP packets through the network layer. Also it's not exactly hackable either!

Get yourself an ADSL router, you know it makes sense :)

iv got a belkin wireless g router(high speed) if that helps? which i bought recently and should be shot for because i cant port forward(as i have been told) with it! netgear is just expensive though, bu in the end, very worth it...

WarmFluffyUK posted on Aug 23 2005 at 03:20 PM said:
If you're THAT worried about security, there's nothing better than a little box doing the security for you. It's much safer than trusting a piece of software, it also free's up your PC instead of wasting CPU power routing IP packets through the network layer. Also it's not exactly hackable either!
If you're THAT worried about security, I think you'd be much happier with a nice little daemon running in the background. They don't take up many resources, and they are much more configurable and cheaper (as in free) than a peice of hardware.

If I want a honeypot, heuristics, dynamic security shaping, advanced threat detection, port knocking, or complex firewalling rules, I'm going to utilize a few small daemons, as all those features would be lost with a simple router (and a complex one, while still lacking all those features, would be MUCH more expensive).

iignotus posted on Aug 23 2005 at 11:20 PM said:
If you're THAT worried about security, I think you'd be much happier with a nice little daemon running in the background. They don't take up many resources, and they are much more configurable and cheaper (as in free) than a peice of hardware.

If I want a honeypot, heuristics, dynamic security shaping, advanced threat detection, port knocking, or complex firewalling rules, I'm going to utilize a few small daemons, as all those features would be lost with a simple router (and a complex one, while still lacking all those features, would be MUCH more expensive).

Well it doesn't do any harm to have some form of software running on a pc as well, but no way would I trust my server connected directly to the net. I HAVE to have a firewall between it and the world. In fact the Router segrigates my LAN from the WAN and I feel much safer that way.

I personally don't trust a piece of software on a PC as a single security stop. A Router is much harder to crack as it's not running an Operating System. The most people can usually do is possibly crash the router or modem with DOS attacks, and if you have a good router, it recognises them and takes the appropriate action blocking the attack. I have mine sending logs to my syslog server of illegal attempts. I get the odd ejit trying to annoy me but they go eventually go away, quite sad if you ask me.

i think i need to re-install me router anyway cause i an attemt to port forward i went into my router configuration and opened all the ports LMAO! but its not in use now anyway because i cant use my computer yet, still on my bros :(...

also im not really scared of the internet, i just made this thread to say how shite nortan is and my hatrid for it and wanted other people opinion for it, nonother then less its nice to speak about stuff i hardly understand but then gradually learning...

WarmFluffyUK posted on Aug 24 2005 at 01:08 AM said:
iignotus posted on Aug 23 2005 at 11:20 PM said:

Well it doesn't do any harm to have some form of software running on a pc as well, but no way would I trust my server connected directly to the net. I HAVE to have a firewall between it and the world. In fact the Router segrigates my LAN from the WAN and I feel much safer that way.

I personally don't trust a piece of software on a PC as a single security stop. A Router is much harder to crack as it's not running an Operating System. The most people can usually do is possibly crash the router or modem with DOS attacks, and if you have a good router, it recognises them and takes the appropriate action blocking the attack. I have mine sending logs to my syslog server of illegal attempts. I get the odd ejit trying to annoy me but they go eventually go away, quite sad if you ask me.
We make good points :D

ARGHHH! Why wasn't I born a geek!

This is all a language I don't understand. I have had a few viruses in the past. I have a netgear router. No idea how to use it for security purposes, took me days to set it up at all!!!

But I just wanna be secure. I have norton slowing me down big time. It's about to expire. So.....

I'm gonna use their tool to uninstall it. I've got Spybot on my system, I'm gonna put the Sygate Firewall (although I've no idea how to tell it to accept my router....), and then find a decent antivirus.

Will this be okay? I would really appreciate any help, as I am just a poor surfer....

lubidog posted on Sep 16 2005 at 09:23 AM said:
ARGHHH! Why wasn't I born a geek!

This is all a language I don't understand. I have had a few viruses in the past. I have a netgear router. No idea how to use it for security purposes, took me days to set it up at all!!!

But I just wanna be secure. I have norton slowing me down big time. It's about to expire. So.....

I'm gonna use their tool to uninstall it. I've got Spybot on my system, I'm gonna put the Sygate Firewall (although I've no idea how to tell it to accept my router....), and then find a decent antivirus.

Will this be okay? I would really appreciate any help, as I am just a poor surfer....

Actually no it won't really be okay. Spybot is an Anti-Spyware tool, this will help to scan and prevent spyware from entering your system.
When Nortons runs out, you will no longer have any Anti-Virus software on your machine, You could give AVG a go, but if you want to be safe, you will have to go for one of the paid anti-virus software such as MfAffee etc. And you are soo on the right tracks by removing Nortons, it truly is a nightmare.

Hope everything goes okay,
Clare.

Thanks for the help. So Mcafee is better than Norton?

I'll get on to it......

Thanks again

Back