Noob + Albion = 0

gilesdorrington

Still Fresh
Hi there,
It's probably just something really obvious but I'm having problems loading Albion and I was hoping somebody might spot where I'm going wrong. Each time I try to launch Albion_RH.gpe (& LH as well), the wiz just hangs at the black and white 'loading' screen. When I try and launch Albion.gpe it just returns to the main menu.

I've copied Albion v1.38 over to the sd card using exactly the same file structure as in the readme-gp2x.txt and then extracted albion-v1.01-wiz to games\albion on the sd card. I've also changed the setup.ini to reflect the new file structure.

FYI it's a brand new wiz with 1.1.0 firmware.

Really greatful if somebody could point me in the right direction.

did you edit the Albion ini file?

I copied the contents of SETUP-full.ini over the original one and everything worked fine with the albion.gpe file.

If using non-english version of the game, renaming your albion data folder named german/spanish whatever to english solved the problem for me

Hi guys,
Thanks for the quick replies. It's an english version, so the folder naming is OK. I tried overwriting SETUP.INI with the contents of SETUP-full.ini but it still hasn't worked. I think I may know what the problem is though. My copy of Albion (from Abandonia) doesn't include intro.smk. I've tried editing albion.cfg to turn off the intro...and I think this is where I've been having the problems.

Just to test it I tried editing X-Com.cfg (which works fine by the way) to turn off the intro, and lo-and-behold, X-Com stopped working...hanging at the black and white loading screen same as Albion. Sorry but I think it's all been my fault as I've been editing using notepad on an XP PC. Am I right in thinking I should be using something non-windows based for the editing, and if so could you recommend something I can use on a PC?

thanks again

Giles

I've just checked my Albion install, and I DO HAVE intro.smk it's in the albioncd/video folder.

And yes you need a different editor for the files. I'm using NOTEPAD++ and it's been working fine.
Before you save file make sure that you do FORMAT > convert to UNIX format. If it's greyed out don't worry as it means it's already in unix format.

What happens if you use the X-com intro video?

Giles said:
Hi there,
It's probably just something really obvious but I'm having problems loading Albion and I was hoping somebody might spot where I'm going wrong. Each time I try to launch Albion_RH.gpe (& LH as well), the wiz just hangs at the black and white 'loading' screen. When I try and launch Albion.gpe it just returns to the main menu.

I've copied Albion v1.38 over to the sd card using exactly the same file structure as in the readme-gp2x.txt and then extracted albion-v1.01-wiz to games\albion on the sd card. I've also changed the setup.ini to reflect the new file structure.

FYI it's a brand new wiz with 1.1.0 firmware.

Really greatful if somebody could point me in the right direction.

I've managed to get Albion.gpe to run perfectly (and the intro), but as above Albion_RH.gpe & Albion_LH.gpe just hang on the black loading screen.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You've made an excellent job of converting this, is it possible to convert the 'Infinity Engine' (Baldur's Gate, Planescape & Icewind Dale) to the Wiz?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks mhadf, NOTEPAD++ did the trick. Albion.gpe now works fine, although I have the same problem as Neil L that Albion_RH.gpe and Albion_LH.gpe still hang on the black loading screen.

BTW the X-com intro video works fine. While we're on the subject, I've got no music in X-com, although it works fine in Albion and I've used the same timidity.cfg for X-com as Albion (with timidity installed at the root of the sd).

I've got the albion intro in my cd folder, try downloading from a different site.
I think Albion is one of the BESTOLDGAMES on the .NET ;)

Sorry to open up an old thread ,but i am having problems getting albion to work ,i have the right version of the game and seem to have been able to set the ini paths as i am getting the intro video but after that the game just stops any ideas on how to get it working properly ,srry if this seems an obvious question but i would love to play albion on the move rather than having to use dos box ,anyhoo peace,ALL good now forgot to use dos box installed files ,srry

I'm also having a hard time getting Albion to work. I've followed the readme but still nothing. I used dosbox to install my copy from Abandonia, copied the subdirectory, edited the .ini file ....etc. I'm sure it's something simple that I'm missing but I just can't figure it out.
Is there any chance someone could post a short video of them installing this game on their Wiz? I haven't even tried the X-Com games yet as it's the same procedure and this would help me (and others I'm sure) in that area as well.

Sorry if I'm asking for too much but I'm about to just give up on this one.

Back