Non-Working Gba Games

Nothing on PC uses gpSP's savestate format. Outside of a PC build of gpSP, anyway.

Bogeto said:
Sonic Advance crashes after a little bit for me.
I played through all 3 Sonic Advance games without problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found some more:

- Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 (oddly enough, most of the time when you press a "!" switch the game crashes and you are sent back to the main menu)

- Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (when you enter a battle, cross your fingers, chances are the game is gonna freeze with an awful looping sound when the big yellow star pops up and fills the screen)

From the very few games that I tried for the GBA this were the ones that bugged me the most, is there any explanation for why this emulator has so many problems like that (or any prediction to when someone is gonna try to fix them in the future)?

Thanks in advance

3rd EDIT: After clearing my post because I thought a sav file wouldn't help because Kingdom Hearts crashed at start, but actually it was because my game was zipped. THIS GAME HAS TO BE UNZIPPED!! KINGDOM HEARTS CHAIN OF MEMORIES WONT PLAY AT ALL UNLESS ITS UNZIPPED!!

You need this http://www.megaupload.com/?d=28FVVUG2 in the folder where your KH: CoF rom is located. Make sure the file names are the same for both rom and the sav. This should get KH: CoF running

Lord Scar said:
I found some more:

- Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 (oddly enough, most of the time when you press a "!" switch the game crashes and you are sent back to the main menu)

- Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (when you enter a battle, cross your fingers, chances are the game is gonna freeze with an awful looping sound when the big yellow star pops up and fills the screen)

From the very few games that I tried for the GBA this were the ones that bugged me the most, is there any explanation for why this emulator has so many problems like that (or any prediction to when someone is gonna try to fix them in the future)?

Thanks in advance

have you tried zipping/unzipping the rom?

I had the same issues with superstar saga, haven't tried yet to run it zipped. haven't had issues yet with yoshi's island, but I only completed the first levels.

It's a pitty to see that the GBA emulator has the longest non-playing games list. I think it's the least optimized emulator for the Wiz and it's going to be like that for quite some time...

GeorgyPorgy said:
It's a pitty to see that the GBA emulator has the longest non-playing games list. I think it's the least optimized emulator for the Wiz and it's going to be like that for quite some time...

Actually it's one of the most optimized emulators for the Wiz, it's just also one of the buggiest. Unfortunately for you I'm not working on gpSP anymore, so those things probably won't get fixed. But I am interested in doing a new GBA emulator.

thanks exophase.

I actually find the emulator pretty good, it doesn't have issues with many games (almost all the games I tried worked, I currently have about 40) and the games that run do so smoothly.

if you make a new and improved emulator, I hope you will consider porting it to the wiz too.

The GBA emulator doesn't have the biggest list of non playing games. There's the snes emulator, FBA, some MAME games, I know one of the punch out games for NES doesn't work, personally I think it is one of the most optimized emulators for the wiz :wiz: as exophase said

rex303 said:
Lord Scar said:
I found some more:

Thanks in advance

have you tried zipping/unzipping the rom?

I had the same issues with superstar saga, haven't tried yet to run it zipped. haven't had issues yet with yoshi's island, but I only completed the first levels.

I have just zipped both roms and tried starting new games and so far nothing strange happened, but that's the main problem with this console: you NEVER know when this games are going to crash

The first time I played superstar saga the game crashed during the first battle with bowser, the other times I played it crashed very later on when battling against random enemies (so I had to save every time I battled someone sucessfully) and in one ocasion it crashed just as I was walking around the very first town!

Same thing with yoshi's story: the first times I stepped on the "!" switches the game crashed, but the other times nothing odd happened, now that I have zipped them I'll play for a while and inform if these games crash again or not, but with the random mysterious nature of this bugs this may take a very long time until it happens again... or not ^^"

P.S. - I tried banjo-kazooie grunty's revenge and yeah, no intro cinematic and the game restarts as soon as I begin to play

Mega5657 said:
The GBA emulator doesn't have the biggest list of non playing games. There's the snes emulator, FBA, some MAME games, I know one of the punch out games for NES doesn't work, personally I think it is one of the most optimized emulators for the wiz :wiz: as exophase said

Hey, there's an idea: why people don't try making engines for this particular games? Just the more popular ones that apparently are not running well (or not running at all!) in the emus of their respectives consoles (like Kirby Super Star, Mortal Kombat or Clock Tower for SNES).

it's not hard to open a thread asking what games people would like to see individually ported on the Wiz or try to make a voting setup for everyone to elect which next game would they like to see finally running propely

(This is just my opinion, I don't really know if it's really feasible)

I have zipped yoshi's island and superstar saga, played a bi of superstar saga (and different battles) without crashes. before zipping it it hanged on me once. I hope the problem is solved.

I finished Yoshi´s island without an issue. Maybe the problem is the rom version.

Exophase said:
GeorgyPorgy said:

Actually it's one of the most optimized emulators for the Wiz, it's just also one of the buggiest. Unfortunately for you I'm not working on gpSP anymore, so those things probably won't get fixed. But I am interested in doing a new GBA emulator.

Why start from scratch than improve something that you've already made and is working? If you're not working on gpSP anymore, I think it's highly unlikely that we'll see GBA emus get better, especially since the "new" Wiz is coming out (I can't even pronounce its unspeakable name.. Sob!). This great emulator just needs you. But I guess you've got better stuff to do. Thanks a lot anyway for your hard and great work!

GeorgyPorgy said:
Why start from scratch than improve something that you've already made and is working? If you're not working on gpSP anymore, I think it's highly unlikely that we'll see GBA emus get better, especially since the "new" Wiz is coming out (I can't even pronounce its unspeakable name.. Sob!). This great emulator just needs you. But I guess you've got better stuff to do. Thanks a lot anyway for your hard and great work!

You only assume I'm starting from scratch and don't have any other non-gpSP assets to draw from. Still, do you really think it's highly unlikely for me to do another GBA emulator if I'm sincere about being interested in doing so? I originally did gpSP's initial release in 3 months in 2006, then worked on the PSP and core functionality another 3 months, then worked on the ARM version for about a month. I had much more free time then, but it was also the first real emulator I wrote and a learning experience. Suffice it to say I'm not happy with how I did a lot of things and trying to retrofit what I have would be very unpleasant - I have hit a wall several times over the past few years in being able to do anything with the codebase because of how several things were done.

Sometimes the best way to move forward is to start back from the beginning. If you look at very established emulator authors this trend is pretty common. Steve Snake seems to have rewritten Kega several times now.

raindog said:
I finished Yoshi´s island without an issue. Maybe the problem is the rom version.

Great! Can you tell me the name of the rom you used? I'm not asking for the site or the download link (this is illegal, you know? =P) but the "code" the rom ends in the name of the file (like [1ob] or plain [!] or whatever is in the end, it would make easier to know if there's some specific version of this rom that works flawlessly instead of downloading a bunch and testing every single one)

Thanks in advance

I haven't checked yoshi's island yet, but I did have a freeze with superstar saga even using a zipped rom.

Lord Scar said:
raindog said:

Great! Can you tell me the name of the rom you used? I'm not asking for the site or the download link (this is illegal, you know? =P) but the "code" the rom ends in the name of the file (like [1ob] or plain [!] or whatever is in the end, it would make easier to know if there's some specific version of this rom that works flawlessly instead of downloading a bunch and testing every single one)

Thanks in advance
Sorry i didn´t reponse before, i just see your message.

My versión seems to be hacked by Mode 7. The name of the file is: Super Mario Advance 3- Yoshi Island.gba

Back