Non-gaming Apps

BackAssward said:
After all, a lot of programmers are also quasi math geeks
Seriously, that's no longer true. More like some programmers.

Last edited by a moderator:
pupnik said:
_VWV_ said:
And now, to talk seriously, is there a programmer willing to port a molecular biology suit (or several programs) to the :pandora1: ? If I understand correctly such things like clustalW algorithm and other complicated calculations need some optimizations for :pandora1:'s hardware. Simple port will also do but it would be nice to have some optimizations for they might greatly improve the overall performance of some stuff.
Anyone??
Please paste links to FOSS molbio software you want.

GENTle
This is a mol.biol program suit. On the one hand this is good, coz almost everything is gathered in a single program., but on the other hand I think it'll be quite difficult to port (without any code optimizations for faster output). It needs wxGTK, sqlite, sqlite3, and mysqlclient. :( I don't know a thing about this stuff, but it's evident, that they should also be ported for Gentle to work.
GENTle is a powerful tool, but it can't reconstruct phylogeny. So It would be nice to have PHYLIP ported to :pandora1: . Why PHYLIP? Because a. it's quite popular and powerful and b. Gentle can load it with user data and get it's output. So basically with PHYLIP installed GENTle can reconstruct phylogeny. :)

I have very little experience in Linux, but I think porting this stuff will be quite hard even without any optimizations of code. Will some features like ClustalW and PHYLIP work reasonably fast without optimizations remains unclear for me. My PIII 500 (Katmai) has enough horse power to handle these tasks. Overall I think it's worth trying, that is why I ask for some help.

you could get all sorts of guitar effects going on this beast if you use Jack rack.

Of course you'd need a low latency and low hiss soundcard. one of these.

how pimp would that be?

Lafazar said:
What I would like to see ported is Giac/Xcas, a computer algebra system with lots of mathematical functions and libraries. Source is available, and there already is a ARM version available "for some PDA with Linux", so it might even run out of the box, hopefully...

The Author is the original author of the CAS of the HP49G calculators, so you know it's both powerful and efficient. It's like a portable Maple or Mathematica, and would make the Pandora one of the most powerful pocket calculators available. It also helps that it has compatible syntax to TI-89, maple and mupad.

http://www-fourier.ujf-grenoble.fr/~parisse/giac.html

o_O
wow...
i've been looking for a program like that. I use Microsoft Math on Windows (I swear it's the best program Microsoft's ever written) and that's been one of the major factors that's stopped me from converting fully. virtualbox just doesn't cut it...
if this could get on the Pandora, along with a graphing calculator emulator, my life would be complete.

sindbad said:
BackAssward said:
After all, a lot of programmers are also quasi math geeks
Seriously, that's no longer true. More like some programmers.
Ok, let me rephrase that: A lot of the really good programmers are also quasi math geeks, and we seem to have a lot of good programmers who hang out here.

BackAssward said:
Ok, let me rephrase that: A lot of the really good programmers are also quasi math geeks, and we seem to have a lot of good programmers who hang out here.
Not even that is true any more. Very little math is actually needed and the only reason they may know or like math is that it's been spoon fed to them in school. But it's not so useful a discussion, let's get back on topic.

if you develop easy stuff, little math is used indeed
but there are people who use those advanced math apps, and they'll love it on their pandoras :p there are mathematicians, physicists and engineers here, you know?

.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
if you develop easy stuff, little math is used indeed
No, in general little math is needed. No matter how complicated or impressive your software is. I bloody hate this misconception.
.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
but there are people who use those advanced math apps, and they'll love it on their pandoras :p there are mathematicians, physicists and engineers here, you know?
Those are not necessarily programmers.

Perhaps little math is needed for general-purpose programming, but it's certainly necessary in many areas, like game programming. Also, it's been my experience that people who are good at math tend to be good at programming, and people who have a hard time grasping mathematical concepts and solving complex problems tend to be poor programmers (me, for example...)

sindbad said:
BackAssward said:
Not even that is true any more. Very little math is actually needed and the only reason they may know or like math is that it's been spoon fed to them in school. But it's not so useful a discussion, let's get back on topic.
True, lets get back on discussion... so why do you keep responding (and started a reply to my comment). Seems disingenuous: if your real concern was to keep this on topic, you wouldn't have responded ato me at all, and then call me out for changing the subject when you yourself are the one doing so...

Tom` said:
Perhaps little math is needed for general-purpose programming, but it's certainly necessary in many areas, like game programming. Also, it's been my experience that people who are good at math tend to be good at programming, and people who have a hard time grasping mathematical concepts and solving complex problems tend to be poor programmers (me, for example...)

Words. My mouth. Have stolen.

The best programmers are also good at math. Anyway, why have we not created a new thread for the Pandora as a Graphic Calculator replacement?

I know why I haven't started one, it wasn't my idea, and to start one would seem like I was trying to make it appear as mine. Fabulous idea, and one I didn't think of (Kudos), in retrospect, I'm surprised this didn't occur to me as well, so good job!

Hodr said:
SlingBOX client. Would be sweet to connect to your home TiVO and watch your recorded shows.

Well, they have a proof of concept version for the iPhone now. So, who knows? (And, yes, I am aware that it's a completely different operating system, and that SlingBox isn't open source. I'm just saying the idea is technically possible, since the Pandora is far more powerful than the iPhone.)

Anyway, why have we not created a new thread for the Pandora as a Graphic Calculator replacement?

Yeah that would be nice, and you could easily port ZX-81's PSP version of the TI-9X calculator emulator on the PSP, and with touch screen functionality it would be MUCH easier.

An mpd client would be nice, even if it was just ncmpc.

A pretty one with a gui like sonata or gmpc would be great.

Sam

TaG said:
For me, I would like to see really capable internet browising with java/ajax and the ability to access youtube etc and pdf viewer - the dream is if its online I want it.
No 2 is email, followed by multi-format multimedia.

They are the three 'basics'. Next I would love good PIM functionality so I can throw my PDA against a wall.

Then a programming environment as I haven't done any for years and that is something that excites me about Pandora. I'm no dev but to have something in my pocket that I could use to develop on and for really would be fantastic. What a brilliant way to use any free time.

One of the brilliant things about Pandora is the seemingly endless possibilities. You read this thread and people are talking about guitar effects (goes 'WOWWW!!'). Really? Could it possibly? These possibilities are even more exciting than the gaming abilities.

While I won't be throwing my PDA against the wall, I would definitely like to have PIM functions included, along with web browsing and video/audio app. I agree with the programming app as well. I have been lazy at learning programming but, I think it would be something to do in spare time.

Frankly ll I would want is a Upnp media client and a program to control Xbox media center like XBMC Remote on the PSP. Small screens aren't great for the standard XBMC Web interface.

So here it is:
Upnp Media Client
Xbox Media center remote

That would be awesome!

Back