Non-gaming Apps

qwerty15 said:
Lol :D. How about Xbox 360?
Yeah, that's what I meant.

Better yet, how about PS3 :p
Even still, a 1Ghz PC

Somehow I don't think it works that way :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I get all your points, but here is what I would like to see ported, even if pointless, slow, or hard to port:

Ti Calc Emu
Blender
KeePass
Gimp (like gp2x gpe but faster)
Firefox
Thunderbird
Audacity
OpenOffice

PS Blender has a built in video sequencer/editor, image editor, and text editor

qwerty15 said:
oh great, blender is turning into emacs -_-

seriously tho, i would like to see a port of blender, would be quite usable for modeling at least (i tend to get random ideas for music/drawings/whatever at random times).
also i could impress my friends ;)

and, on the simpler side, one of the things i really miss about my pda (it broke) was a fuel mileage recording and calculating program. was nice and simple, kept a record and showed miles per gallon for each time i refueled. shouldnt be too difficult to make, in fact if no one else beats me to it, ill probably make one myself.

edit: hey cool, i just noticed im gp32 hardcore now

As mentioned above, a combination local area / IM chat client and file transfer application would be a welcome addition out-of-the box.

PlopperZ said:
qwerty15 said:

I assumed that would be available out of the box.... :lol:

As to Blender (or anything else for that matter), if anyone wants to spend their time doing stuff thats their choice. Devs tend to develop what they either want or need. If somebody does do it there will be many people loading it to show off - including me. Who knows, it could be real handy one day.

How about something like this synth/sequencer/drum mc Korg DS-10 B)

All I would like to see outside the usual applications (Firefox, Okular and the like) - is a BitTorrent client (that doesn't hog memory, like Azureus, but which still has much of the needed features).

Wireless + small device + portable usb hard drive == pure torrenting :p

Perhaps someone can recommend a decent torrent client that is quite small (but has a UI, no console things please)? :)

I'd personally like to see a port of Hydrogen. Others have already mentioned everything else.

Also, Transmission works ok on the N800, so it would probably be a good candidate for a Pandora torrent client.

TaG said:
PlopperZ said:
qwerty15 said:

I assumed that would be available out of the box.... :lol:

As to Blender (or anything else for that matter), if anyone wants to spend their time doing stuff thats their choice. Devs tend to develop what they either want or need. If somebody does do it there will be many people loading it to show off - including me. Who knows, it could be real handy one day.

How about something like this synth/sequencer/drum mc Korg DS-10 B)

Now THAT would be cool. I have several Korg-touch screen type synthesizer things, 2 of I can also hook up to my guitar. anyway, that would be awesome.

I know it has already been said, but I would like to add my support for a lightweight BT Client.

My rational:
I spend almost as much time in airports as I do at work (exaggeration, but no a big one).
I would love to be able to use the 10mbit+ free WiFi connection at MCO or TUS to pull down a few episodes of my favorite show that I missed while I was on the road.

Here's a curve ball request that I didn't search for, but am sure no one else suggested.

SlingBOX client. Would be sweet to connect to your home TiVO and watch your recorded shows.

qwerty15 said:
I get all your points, but here is what I would like to see ported, even if pointless, slow, or hard to port:

Ti Calc Emu
Blender
KeePass
Gimp (like gp2x gpe but faster)
Firefox
Thunderbird
Audacity
OpenOffice

Hm.. nice list. I would like to see OpenOffice on the Pandora but people have ported it to zaurus but it takes several minutes just to load it. Though the Pandora is way more powerful.

What I would like to see ported is Giac/Xcas, a computer algebra system with lots of mathematical functions and libraries. Source is available, and there already is a ARM version available "for some PDA with Linux", so it might even run out of the box, hopefully...

The Author is the original author of the CAS of the HP49G calculators, so you know it's both powerful and efficient. It's like a portable Maple or Mathematica, and would make the Pandora one of the most powerful pocket calculators available. It also helps that it has compatible syntax to TI-89, maple and mupad.

http://www-fourier.ujf-grenoble.fr/~parisse/giac.html

n3rm76.jpg
2yx2mwh.png
dxg5fo.png
292vfrp.png
30szm0g.png
23tr3eo.png

I'd be very interested in two options.

1) good strong password protected program for storing passwords and account numbers

2) Alarm Clock with *large view* numbers that can be seen across the room (while half asleep).

Something like this:

dsc7662cu7.jpg

-Suntan

Lafazar said:
What I would like to see ported is Giac/Xcas, a computer algebra system with lots of mathematical functions and libraries. Source is available, and there already is a ARM version available "for some PDA with Linux", so it might even run out of the box, hopefully...
Wow.

While I would have no use for it personally, I think this is the first program anybody has suggested that would sell more than a few Pandoras all by itself. Math geeks take their graphing calculators very seriously, and the Pandora's powerful processor, large display, and multiple input options coupled with this software would make it the best pocketable graphing calc available at any price. Good find.

It would need a good port that used the Pandora's atributes to the fullest (a simple recompile wouldn't do the software or hardware justice) but I think it would be worth the effort.

Chip said:
It would need a good port that used the Pandora's atributes to the fullest (a simple recompile wouldn't do the software or hardware justice) but I think it would be worth the effort.
I don't quite see what would need to be changed. I bet it's fast enough anyway.

Inputing numbers might not be as comfortable as possible though.

Personally, I'd be fine with the basic linux stuff, e.g. clients and daemons for ssh, ftp, etc, as well as stuff like vim. My main use for this is a linux computer that can fit in my pocket, then Quake 3, then emulators. Once the Pandora II or whatever it's going to be called is out, my Pandora will probably serve as a web or file server.

Also, that math program looks awesome. I do hope someone puts forth the effort to port it.

sindbad said:
I don't quite see what would need to be changed. I bet it's fast enough anyway.

Inputing numbers might not be as comfortable as possible though.
I didn't mean performance enhancemnts as much as input and display enhancements. You would want to make sure the interface takes full advantage of the screen space and resolution while keeping all text readable at such a tiny dot pitch. You'd also want to have the program utilize all the input options, including probably mapping some of the more common mathematical symbols to the keyboard. For someone who would be using their Pandora as a graphing calc a lot, it would definitely be worthwhile to re-label the keys with these symbols.

Performance-wise, the Pandora is probably an order of magnitude faster than any TI graphing calculator...

...Which begs the question - If this software works as well on the Pandora as it should, might TI want to re-badge and resell Pandoras as TI calculators with math-optimized keypads? Just something to consider.

Chip said:
Wow.

While I would have no use for it personally, I think this is the first program anybody has suggested that would sell more than a few Pandoras all by itself. Math geeks take their graphing calculators very seriously, and the Pandora's powerful processor, large display, and multiple input options coupled with this software would make it the best pocketable graphing calc available at any price. Good find.

Yeah here it goes. When I mentioned the GENTle suit for molecular biology, no one said wow. Math geeks can always find common ground with programmers, coz math and programming are somewhat related fields of knowledge. Programmers will always discriminate mol.biol geeks in favour of math geeks.. This IS unfair. Just a joke. :)
And now, to talk seriously, is there a programmer willing to port a molecular biology suit (or several programs) to the :pandora1: ? If I understand correctly such things like clustalW algorithm and other complicated calculations need some optimizations for :pandora1:'s hardware. Simple port will also do but it would be nice to have some optimizations for they might greatly improve the overall performance of some stuff.
Anyone??

All I need is what my Clie gets used for - Adarian Money (GnuCash would be a good replacement), PalmFiction (Just need a decent text viewer with custom fonts, colours, touch to change page and wrapping/formatting options), and very occasional unit conversion.

_VWV_ said:
And now, to talk seriously, is there a programmer willing to port a molecular biology suit (or several programs) to the :pandora1: ? If I understand correctly such things like clustalW algorithm and other complicated calculations need some optimizations for :pandora1:'s hardware. Simple port will also do but it would be nice to have some optimizations for they might greatly improve the overall performance of some stuff.
Anyone??
Please paste links to FOSS molbio software you want.

A dedicated thread for the Graphing Calculator and the Molecular Biology proc might be an idea. Not sure all the developers come into this one, but one. Putting a thread into the main queue with a title "Pandora, any dev want to make it replace the TI graphing calculator? Look no further than porting this app". Or some such, might grab some attention.

After all, a lot of programmers are also quasi math geeks, but having this app in this thread isn't necessarily letting those geeks know of it.

Back