Nomad Inspired

Mr. Spank

Still Fresh
Remember the Sega Nomad? It was a cool system. Now the GP32 is a KICK ASS system, so how come it doesn't have the nifty features the Nomad did? How about something to make a video out, or RCA out from the extension port or USB? Or make the extension port a 'in' for a extra controller and the USB a video 'out' so two I can go somewhere, and plug it into a TV and a friend into the GP and we could play together on the big screen! Like you could have done with the Sega Nomad. There's got to be some sort of way.

Of course you wouldn't be running off of batteries but the adapter.

That'd be pretty fun, come to think of it, for multiplayer that is. Given a specific game that has come out recently *coughsmashgpcough*, it'd be great to play it on a TV, with more than one controller. :) Like, one person could use the gp32 for P1 (not the screen, just the controls), and player two can hook up into the ext port, and player three can hook into player two, etc... kinda like the gba, how the cords hook into each other.

I don't know how you'd get the tv hookup...

Maybe Gamepark can make a cradle or something that hooks into the expansion port. The cradle will have a video out (the yellow white red cord thing), and a place in the front to hook in maybe 4 controllers? Yes, 4 seems to be the standard now. :p The video and controllers will communicate through the expansion port. There will be a cord that comes out the side that you plug into the earphones jack, which will be the source to the TV's audio, and there'll be another cord that you can plug into the wall, and goes to the dc jack of the gp32. The GP32's screen will be blank, until you push start or something, which will bring up a menu where you can adjust the tv's picture, like stretching, audio filtering, which controllers are plugged in, stuff like that. Actually, scratch that, that'll probably interfere with the running game. Seriously, if something like that really did exist, I'd get it. Probably because of smashgp, that'd be awesome on a tv. :D

This is only a dream though. :)

Edit: Here, I illustrated it: http://drag.wootest.net/misc/gp32_cradle.png

you are sooooo feeling me, and it feels sooooo good, well not that type of feeling, so it isn't THAT good, but yeahh dude, right on!

I like the concept of a gradle that would utilze the extention, power and audio jack, considering their placement you think maybe Game Park had something like that in mind originally?

But once its cradled it would be uncomfortable to use. I also began to think what about just a multi tap link of GP's that are fed to the TV, but then I don't know anyone with a working GP (know only one other guy, Korean, who has one, but its broken).

For the sake of simplicity, how about the extention connects to a classic style multi tap (ala genesis and snes) where you could plug in actual SNES or genesis controlers. Or better yet, it could go into one 3DO controler which would daisy chain with 2 others making a total of 4 controlers counting the GP. Alternatively use a Sidewinder controler that works on the same premesis. Video could possibly go out the USB? Into a PC monitor (through a graphics card? can it go straight?) if not a TV.

Sorry I don't have time to draw a diagram, I have procrastinated enough of my time doing MP3 player research. And I still have to finish my research for sex/gender differences in pop media.

Mind if I play around a bit with the pictures you made there? I might be able to come up with something useful to companies...

EDIT: It's about an hour and a half later, and I hope you're going to say yes, cause I already cleaned it up a bit, and redrew a lot of things, and added a couple things. I think it's looking quite nice... MUCH nicer than my Portable NES drawing. (I was bored, so I just dreamed one up.) Didn't put any images of the HDD that was mentioned in, that would have to be implied, I guess. Was also thinking about a port/adapter for the Ericsson chatboard, but the image is quite full as it is. 62k JPEG.

for a whole new line of extras for the GP, the above seems like a great idea, maybe breath some new life into it. A great way to get more people into a system that very few people even know about here in the USA. Get some friends over to play emulators together of if someone comes up with a fun and exciting homebrew multiplayer game.

But my idea was more underground. A way to utilize existing hardware to be modified to use with the gp32_console

That is why I mentioned the 3DO controlers, which I believe have a start, 3 action buttons and shoulder buttons, and can be daisy chained to handle more players.

But I do love you cradle concept because I really think it can bring a angle that isn't out there yet. It could house various classic greats. In my college we have a club room with classic game systems and new ones. When we don't have Halo 2 in, we play the classics! We spent so much time just last week playing Tetris 2 on the SNES in two player mode! Other times we play the Street Fighter games. The joystick thumb thing that the gp32_console has is not comfortable for fighting games, so it would be great to play fighting games using controlers that have D pads!

The pitch:
Wireless multiplaying to, we got that. Good battery life, we got that. Free games, we got that, do they? Largest video game library ever, damn right we have that! Can the other hand helds say that? gp32_console The ultimate in hand held gaming! Plays games from the golden age of video games. Take your game library anywhere you go. Share the classic goodness with your friends using the party Hub (name is a work in progress, feel free to submit better ones). With the most active underground development out there, this system is built for the long haul! Are you ready for it?

Well, I don't think this will ever come out in the USA, especially with this pitch because it will only inspire legal actions against it. I am sure they will find something to tie it down so no one gets any here. I don't really see this Party Hub being released for this system, prove me wrong, please! but I would love for the Next Generation Game Park to have one. I would also so like it to have more action buttons and a seperate button for the back light!

Drag posted on Dec 7 2004 at 01:15 AM said:
That'd be pretty fun, come to think of it, for multiplayer that is. Given a specific game that has come out recently *coughsmashgpcough*, it'd be great to play it on a TV, with more than one controller. :) Like, one person could use the gp32 for P1 (not the screen, just the controls), and player two can hook up into the ext port, and player three can hook into player two, etc... kinda like the gba, how the cords hook into each other.

I don't know how you'd get the tv hookup...

Maybe Gamepark can make a cradle or something that hooks into the expansion port. The cradle will have a video out (the yellow white red cord thing), and a place in the front to hook in maybe 4 controllers? Yes, 4 seems to be the standard now. :p The video and controllers will communicate through the expansion port. There will be a cord that comes out the side that you plug into the earphones jack, which will be the source to the TV's audio, and there'll be another cord that you can plug into the wall, and goes to the dc jack of the gp32. The GP32's screen will be blank, until you push start or something, which will bring up a menu where you can adjust the tv's picture, like stretching, audio filtering, which controllers are plugged in, stuff like that. Actually, scratch that, that'll probably interfere with the running game. Seriously, if something like that really did exist, I'd get it. Probably because of smashgp, that'd be awesome on a tv. :D

This is only a dream though. :)

Edit: Here, I illustrated it: http://drag.wootest.net/misc/gp32_cradle.png

WOW I really love your idea :)
your dream is my dream too ;p
Wishing somebody could make it come true ;p
but I heard about a craddle for the GP32 a long time ago, already made & finish by somebody, but which don't got as much feature as this one... by the way can't find back the pic of it, but I'm still searching ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Winterkid posted on Dec 8 2004 at 03:26 AM said:
Mind if I play around a bit with the pictures you made there? I might be able to come up with something useful to companies...

EDIT: It's about an hour and a half later, and I hope you're going to say yes, cause I already cleaned it up a bit, and redrew a lot of things, and added a couple things. I think it's looking quite nice... MUCH nicer than my Portable NES drawing. (I was bored, so I just dreamed one up.) Didn't put any images of the HDD that was mentioned in, that would have to be implied, I guess. Was also thinking about a port/adapter for the Ericsson chatboard, but the image is quite full as it is. 62k JPEG.

Go right ahead. :) My pic was just a rough sketch. Could it really be useful to companies? o_O If my particular idea (the one in the pic) gets used, that'd be VERY awesome! :D

Problem with "video out" for GP32 - it can only output a maximum of 320x240, while a TV naturally receives aprox. 640x480 (NSTC analog). In other words, it's possible, but it'll look like crap ;)

generalnmx posted on Dec 8 2004 at 04:55 PM said:
Problem with "video out" for GP32 - it can only output a maximum of 320x240, while a TV naturally receives aprox. 640x480 (NSTC analog). In other words, it's possible, but it'll look like crap ;)

Nah, don't most consoles use 320x240?

The NES uses 256x240 or something like that (it's really 256x256, but ntsc can't display that many scanlines)

Well, point is, it'll look along the lines of a 32-bit snes or something. :)

I would love to see what this previous cradle did/does.

I don't see why the graphics translation should be such a problem. It should be dealt with in either of two ways; since it broadcasts at half, it should then display at that same display but centered on the screen with black space around it so it wouldn't be distorted by being stretched. But why can't emulated games be broadcast as they would have when they were initially designed to be played on the bigger screen. I am sure that is not a major detail. I would be playing on my small television anyway. Graphics details weren't so important to those games anyway.

so how about names?
gp32_console Party Hub Device (GP-PHD)
gp32_console GP Tunnler/Digger - in honor of the underground success of the GP and the possible success it this device can bring.
gp32_console Assimilator (GP Ass [to sound like GPS])
gp32_console Party Plug (GP{cubed}/GPPP)
gp32_console Play Ground (GPPG)
gp32_console Happy Happy Fun Time Number One Friends Device! (GPHFTN1FD!) - or does this sound too Japanese? Should probably sound more Korean, I'll work on that...

I think the graphics at its native resolution of 320x240 will look just fine on TV without any need for a stretch or anything. :) The SNES had a smaller resolution than that, yet it didn't need any hardware stretching to get it to fit on the tv.

On another note, I'm rather interested in Winterkid's modifications to my drawing. I wonder when he's going to upload them? :D

As for the name, I'll stick with my original name for it, GPCradle32.

It wouldn't have to be streched. It would have to be letterboxed because of
the aspect ratio. TV's can switch resolution like monitors do, and as such they
don't have a native res, but they do have a native aspect ratio. PAL and NTSC
have different aspect ratio, so you'd have to allow for that with region-universal
auto letterboxing.

Mr. Spank posted on Dec 8 2004 at 07:39 PM said:
But my idea was more underground. A way to utilize existing hardware to be modified to use with the gp32_console

That is why I mentioned the 3DO controlers, which I believe have a start,

AAAH! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

:p

toxibunny posted on Dec 10 2004 at 01:53 AM said:
Mr. Spank posted on Dec 8 2004 at 07:39 PM said:
But my idea was more underground.  A way to utilize existing hardware to be modified to use with the  gp32_console 

That is why I mentioned the 3DO controlers, which I believe have a start,

AAAH! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

what's the joke pal? Just talking about cool things we would like to have for the GP. This is the section for it. This system is under ground here in USA. And I believe the 3DO controlers would be great for it because they have a start button, 3 action buttons and shoulder buttons and can daisy chain. What doesnt sound right to you about that? Or what is so funny about it being under ground and using existing tech?

Don't just post your silly little laugh with no context.

I think he's laughing because you really can't get 3DO controllers easily.
Besides, what everybodys looking for is for a company, especially Gamepark,
to release new hardware addons, not for somebody to design some underground 133t thingy, but to suggest something to Gamepark.

yeah my laugh was about using the 3DO controllers.

it's honestly the shittest 'GP32 addon' idea i've heard so far. If you think I'm being silly, or unfair, why don't you start a poll - 'do you have a 3DO controller? *yes* *no*?'

Do you have ebay? Then you have 3DO controllers. My alternative sugestion was a Sidewinder, the ones for PC, that also daisy chain. And Game Park is not going to release any new adons, unless they don't plan to release a next gen unit. And there are people working on all kinds of hacks in hardware, and someone might get inspired and then share their findings. That would be great. Of course, this is mostly just sharing ideas, I don't expect individuals or companies look at this and do something. But it would be nice. For a device with such limited release and high potential, the proposed device stands to do it alot of good. It is a angle no other hand held is going for today.

iQue Multi-player adapter. This works kinda like I had in mind. You use a handheld game system that normaly just connect to a TV to play. The adapter lets you run it through to the TV but connects 3 other controlers so they can all play. That is very close to what I want to be done to the GP!

Back