Nokia Li-ion Running Gp2x

neilos888

Still Fresh
I am using a Nokia BP-6M out of a nokia 6280 in my GP2x. it lasts really well compared to the batteries i have used previously. admittedly i havent been using the latest 2700mah AA's. I have no official times as yet but i may try and measure it soon.

The battery is 3.7V and 1100mah. but must out last AA's with a much higher rating.

I understand some of the benefits of Li-Ion batteries but any information is good here.

Please try some batteries (at your own risk) and write how you have got on with them.

Is there some software for battery testing?

neilos888 said:

ok its called battery-test.zip :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Tripmonkey_uk said:
neilos888 said:
Here ya go :)

There might be a newer version up now though?

cheers just found it :) I'll test tonight.

as the battery is quite small. I might try running with two. if i run them parallel to get the same 3.7V it should be ok right?

should be, as long as they're actually in parallel and both are charged about the same amount. if you toss two batteries in parallel that are different voltages you will have a mess on your hands.

rokdcasbah said:
should be, as long as they're actually in parallel and both are charged about the same amount. if you toss two batteries in parallel that are different voltages you will have a mess on your hands.
yeah they are identical batteries. and i'm charging them up now ready for testing.

the other thing is. if i leave them connected in parallel, do you think i could charge them both at the same time in the existing charger. I might test them for time. then charge them both at the same time and test again to see if i get the same or similar results.

neilos888 said:
I am using a Nokia BP-6M out of a nokia 6280 in my GP2x. it lasts really well compared to the batteries i have used previously. admittedly i havent been using the latest 2700mah AA's. I have no official times as yet but i may try and measure it soon.

The battery is 3.7V and 1100mah. but must out last AA's with a much higher rating.

I understand some of the benefits of Li-Ion batteries but any information is good here.

Please try some batteries (at your own risk) and write how you have got on with them.

whoops. didn't realize this battery gives out 5V too (the one i was connected too)! i'll try again on the 3.7Vline

rokdcasbah said:

found this http://www.batteryuniversity.com/print-partone-12.htm

the 4.2V or 5 i said earlier must be the actual cell. where the 3.7V from the middle terminal must be regulated by the actual battery. so must be charged at 4.20V.

hmmm...

neilos888 said:
if its any good i should be able to mount these two batteries in the existing battery space with a bit of modification
You aren't the first, I know someone has done this before. Maybe search around for his posts.

nubie said:
neilos888 said:
if its any good i should be able to mount these two batteries in the existing battery space with a bit of modification
You aren't the first, I know someone has done this before. Maybe search around for his posts.

oh didn't realise that.

anyhow.

Stats

Clock Speed: 200 Mhz
Running Time: 7:00:00
Average FPS: 81.72
Current charge: 100%
Initial internal charge: 1023
Current internal charge: 984

Well I think 7 hours is pretty good for something that can be mounted in the case. And can be charged whenever.

neilos888 said:
oh didn't realise that.
anyhow.

Stats

Well I think 7 hours is pretty good for something that can be mounted in the case. And can be charged whenever.

Not to dig you down, it is still cool, do you happen to know if the protection circuit remains intact with your method?

I got some pretty sweet results from just adding a third AA battery, I know it was external, but 6:15 is pretty good ;).

Has anyone tried a PSP battery pack? Like the mega 3600mAh one? I should think that would do nicely, although something could also be done with the AA sized Lithium Ion that are used in cameras, Have you seen the GP32 mod involving those? I think they are called CRV-3 packs or something like that.

nubie said:
neilos888 said:
oh didn't realise that.
anyhow.

Stats

Not to dig you down, it is still cool, do you happen to know if the protection circuit remains intact with your method?

I got some pretty sweet results from just adding a third AA battery, I know it was external, but 6:15 is pretty good ;).

Has anyone tried a PSP battery pack? Like the mega 3600mAh one? I should think that would do nicely, although something could also be done with the AA sized Lithium Ion that are used in cameras, Have you seen the GP32 mod involving those? I think they are called CRV-3 packs or something like that.

No I havent seen the CRV-3 packs at all.

I don't know what you mean by the protection circuit sorry. But I think that i am not doing the battery any good it dropped to 3.45V and the link i put in some previous post said it shouldnt't drop that low without damaging cells. Yea I have seen your thread with the three cells and its pretty neat.

definately try the PSP pack, i havent got one but its gotta be the way forward. there must be a battery somewhere that can be fitted and supply a good usage.

cheers for your replies it helps out. There must be a sollution out there we just need to find one!

sorry. 3.45V is fine, it says

The safety circuit is designed to cut off the current path if the battery is inadvertently discharged below 2.50V/cell. At this voltage, most circuits render the battery unserviceable and a recharge on a regular charger is not possible.

neilos888 said:
nubie said:
neilos888 said:
oh didn't realise that.
anyhow.

Stats

No I havent seen the CRV-3 packs at all.

I don't know what you mean by the protection circuit sorry. But I think that i am not doing the battery any good it dropped to 3.45V and the link i put in some previous post said it shouldnt't drop that low without damaging cells. Yea I have seen your thread with the three cells and its pretty neat.

definately try the PSP pack, i havent got one but its gotta be the way forward. there must be a battery somewhere that can be fitted and supply a good usage.

cheers for your replies it helps out. There must be a sollution out there we just need to find one!

sorry. 3.45V is fine, it says

The safety circuit is designed to cut off the current path if the battery is inadvertently discharged below 2.50V/cell. At this voltage, most circuits render the battery unserviceable and a recharge on a regular charger is not possible.

sorry 3.45V is fine, it says:

nubie said:
neilos888 said:
oh didn't realise that.
anyhow.

Stats

I tested just one last night and it lasted 3 hours 20 minutes which seems right.

Running Time: 3:20
Average FPS: 81.90
Current internal charge: 1023

Back