No Hassle Sd Cards 1 Or 2gb?

nemt

Website
www.nemesisz.net
Which SD cards have people found to require the least work to get recognized and working properly with the GP2X? I've heard the Toshiba 1GB and 2GB cards don't require the formatting finesse a lot of other cards do, and can be recognized as mass storage when the GP2X is plugged into the PC. Is this true?

Thanks in advance!

I use both a Sandisk and a no-name Taiwanese one, and both work fine without formatting or any such hassle.

- Alex

craigix posted on Oct 8 2006 at 06:15 PM said:
Are there and SD cards which don't work?

I bought a 1GB SanDisk card from eBay, and it works in everything but my GP2X. I'm betting it was some kind of no-name brand fraudulently marked as SanDisk or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm using Sandisk 2 gig upgrades firmware without a problem does have a problem if u try to format the card when u use the usb option with the gp2x ,it will format but shows used space as 1 gig and 1 gig freespace. I haven't tried it anymore doh since the new v2 firmware so i don't know if the problem is still there. I formatted the card with a card reader and then it worked ok. After that i never needed to format the card again. just don't forget to call sync in telnet if u use the samba share or ftp ure files to the gp2x if u do forget u'll end up with a broken filesystem had it happen a few times. and then u do have to format although the tool to repair diskdrives does the trick sometimes as well.

I got a 1GB Traveler SD card, which works perfectly. Haven't had the chance to try it out with a firmware upgrade, though...

Oh, and your signature image rocks, Newt. Although I never really figured out what the artist was thinking when he made that, the image not relating to SC2 and all.. :/

From what I can tell, all cards that are not broken will work with the v2 firmware. But be sure to use a card-reader. Buy a decent USB 2.0 multi-card reader, it's worth it. If you use a card > 1gb and connect it to your computer via the GP2X, e.i: Card>GP2X>Cable>Computer, you'll probably get a bunch of issues, like it'll tell you you need to format your card, and when you do... It'll be formatted as 1gb, not what it actually is. If getting a card reader is going to be a problem for you, then I suppose 1gb is your "safe" option. But I use 4GB, I once had an issue when I inserted it into an old card reader in a friend's laptop, it didn't show up at all. But I don't know... Maybe my friend just had a broken reader, or old ones don't like larger cards.... Formatting a card is not a hard thing to do! If you're given the choice of a pre-formated and non-formatted card, and the non-formatted one is cheaper and of the same capacity.... I'd go for it. Even if you get a pre-formatted one, it's possible your card could become corrupt and need re-formatting through every-day stupid activities, even something as lame as your USB cable falling out when you're writing data to the card, or your batteries failing in the middle of writing a saved state in an emulator, could corrupt the card's filesystem. So if anything, with an un-formatted card, you get the practice of formatting before-hand.....

Note: if your card becomes corrupt and it has something on it actually worth saving, then you could always give scan-disk a shot on the card. FAT32, as far as I know, keeps a spare copy of its file allocation table. This is mostly a guess: The action is carried out, and the primary table is modified before or after or when the action is carried out. Once the action (copy, delete, etc) has successfully finished, the scondry table is updated. I've been able to save an old FAT32 HDD from corruption by using scan disk to copy the secondary table data over to the primary table. It gives you the option to do this if it detects an error in the primary table. However, it may mean the file that was last edited will be damaged in some way, but atleast the rest of the system will be restored to stability. This is usually slower than re-formatting, as scandisk can take a long time, especially if you've got a slow card. Hell, I'm not even sure if it'll work on an SD card.... In which case, try the recover command or whatever it is called in Command Prompt, that's saved my ass once before, too.

nemt posted on Oct 8 2006 at 01:06 PM said:
Have they worked with a separate SD reader for your PC, or with the GP2X directly?
Both actually. And Craig is right, all cards should work with firmware 2.

- Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't realize so much improvemed had been made with card support through firmware updates. Should name brand 4GB cards all work properly if used with a card reader to format?

My more-generic Dane-Elec 128mb works just as well as my 1gb Sandisk for firmware updates and all other purposes. But I hear there are some that the GP2X firmware won't play nice with. Like some with Toshiba memory on them.

I have 2xSandisk 1Gb (I've used both for firmware updates) and 2x SanDisk Ultra II 2Gb disks. I often do a total rewrite (eg putting a new PSX game on for testing the emu) and have never had any problems.

Back