no gpengine game will work

Ayci

Still Fresh
Hi all,

I can't get a single rom to work with gpengine : they all crash right away ... loading ... and then black screen. I can go back to the select file screen with L + R but no game will work. What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks for anything that can help :)

how many roms have you tried and what are the last 3 letters of the file name, are they .pce?

yes they're all .pce
I tried like 6 roms. I found a compatibility list that says they should work and I saw screenshots on Gpengine's homepage too so they should work.
I'm using batteries ... is it a factor ?

I just got my gp32 today, and I can't get anything to run actually.
I installed the free loader and gpengine will run, but snes9x will not and neither will the genesis emulator (a window with korean letters pops up saying to push A).

Okay.

I would flash with the new EU bios for starts, then format your card again (hopefully you did this the first time).

get the EU bios from www.gp32x.de or www.gp32spain.com

then you will not need the stupid freeloader ever again.

you must place your games in the right folder, it says which one on www.gp32x.de

i think it is /gpmm/gpengine

Last edited by a moderator:
don't listen to mth411, it does'nt matter where you put the roms as long as the folder is in gpmm, i use gpmm\tg-16 and i can play all my roms fine. DO NOT FLASH YOUR FIRMWARE IF YOU JUST GOT YOUR GP32 before reading up on it. Its really not worth it unless you feel comfortable doing it. Batteries are not a factor, i only use batteries. What mb smc card are you using, are you using at least a 64mb?? Some people have had problems getting stuff to run using 28mb and lower smart media cards.

I installed gpengine with PC Link but transfered the games and the other emulators directly on the SMC with a copier/reader. So I guess the files got corrupted.

I transfered Devil's Crush again with PC Link and ... now it works fine :))

May that help anyone else ... use PC Link ;)

Now I'll still do what you suggested : get the EU bios.

Thank you very much for the instant help !

OK ... lol

so I will NOT flash the bios yet and I'll try to upload the other emulators with PC Link too (which is a pain in the *ss as I'm a Mac OS X user).

I'm using a Veritech 64 Mo card.

Thanks extreme gamer :(

Oftentimes one likes to be in a known state before going ahead. If it was his card not formated, or maybe his freelauncher was corrupted, or ...

I do know what I am talking about, and switching to a bios with all english if done on fresh batteries is a good idea, even for noobs. Then we don't even have to worry about freelauncher. Or korean bios 1.0 on an old gp32 bought of ebay.

I usually give slight advice, and most emulators like a certain folder. I had forgotten that gpengine didn't.

Modifying advice is great, adding your 10cents. Dont say someone doesn't know what they are talking about, please. Otherwise, people will stop helping each other from sheer criticism.

mth411

Sorry, upon rereading your post Extremegamer, I realize you weren't really criticizing my suggestion so much.

I know you post often to help others, so when you said "don't listen to mth411", I was insulted, but its all good now.

I probably sound like a dope.

your fellow gp32er
mth411

i didn't mean to come off harsh, he was just a newbie in need and alot of noobs don't read up enough before purchasing a GP32, i didn't want him to flash and mess up his GP32 first day he had it. Sorry to if i came off that way.

I installed gpengine with PC Link but transfered the games and the other emulators directly on the SMC with a copier/reader. So I guess the files got corrupted.

I transfered Devil's Crush again with PC Link and ... now it works fine )

May that help anyone else ... use PC Link

Now I'll still do what you suggested : get the EU bios.

Thank you very much for the instant help !

Interesting, I have not had this problem. Was everything in DOS 8.3 format when you transfered it? This format is basically:

8-character file names with only ONE extension, no spaces or reserved characters. Example:

What You Might See In Windows: Tomak The Conquorer.zip
What DOS Likes To See: TOMAK~1.ZIP

batteries are ok

you can also zip your roms

you can put the roms anywhere, since you can browse to them using
gpengine.

you can put the roms on the smc using a card reader and they can have
long filenames (bigger than 8.3)

Back