Nintendo woes

I still can't help wondering if the WII U is a horrible horrible mistake. Those tea tray controllers look ridiculous.
As much as I hated the Wii, I also loved it very much and I really saw what Nintnendo was trying to accomplish. I played games in the same room with familiy members who I don't believe had ever touch a video game in their lives. It brought a simplicity gaming that hasn't been seen in 30+ years.

So I think the WiiU will help to do some of the same things the Wii did, but it will also need to step up and deliver a proper gaming experiance that delivers proper standards to all levels off gamers. The Wii really dropped the ball in so many areas, and it was sad to see, because it could have helped the industry on a whole, but Nintendo played it safe and suffered for it in the long run.

It appealed to such a wide audiance, but that same group of people bought hardware and those numbers never converted to software sales(My family bought Wii's, but they never got any games). Which in my mind made Nintendo the only winner from the begining to the end. Which now means many 3rd parties are still not willing to commit software to the WiiU.

The Wii actually had many excellent games, that where rendered useless and hard to play to me and many others by forced motion controls, poor online functionallity, and lack of proper long term support for many of it's games, acccessories and products. The Wii never had a good foundation, and it finally crumbled over time(but I guess you can say it was sold to everyone in the world, so no one was left to buy it) :lol: .

I'm hoping the WiiU builds a better foundation from the start, and sticks to it over time. I do expect it to sell well at the start, as it is being released during the holidays, and for that reason alone, I'm sure all initial shipments will be SOLD OUT by early December, which will help to create a false buzz if it is good or not.

Chris

According to this rumour http://www.slashgear.com/wii-u-with-android-tipped-for-launch-26224951/ it will be running Android apps out of the box, if that's true it would be an interesting addition. Could those controllers be android tablets? They seemed to be trying to cover a wide area with the WII U, the console itself, plus the tablets/handheld gaming devices, could this be nintendo's plan, release 3 desirable items in one package? It would be like a home media experience kit.

According to this rumour http://www.slashgear...aunch-26224951/ it will be running Android apps out of the box, if that's true it would be an interesting addition. Could those controllers be android tablets? They seemed to be trying to cover a wide area with the WII U, the console itself, plus the tablets/handheld gaming devices, could this be nintendo's plan, release 3 desirable items in one package? It would be like a home media experience kit.
This is a cool idea, and I think this is what Nintendo needs to do to compete in the new tablet/smartphone gaming world. Extra functionality, apps, and games straight out of the box.........Looks good to me.

Chris

Not a fan of Rayman, but that was pretty interesting.

The Wii U has masses of potential - let's just hope that it's not left just to Nintendo to support the more demanding/established gamers. There's certainly some adult content said to be coming to it, but we'll all have to wait and see. Roll on E3 for more info. :)

Not a fan of Rayman, but that was pretty interesting.

The Wii U has masses of potential - let's just hope that it's not left just to Nintendo to support the more demanding/established gamers. There's certainly some adult content said to be coming to it, but we'll all have to wait and see. Roll on E3 for more info. :)
I couldn't stand the original Rayman games, and then I stumbled into Rayman Origins, and I must say it is one of the best platformers ever created. I tried the PS3 demo first, and it didn't move me, and then I was looking for another Vita game to get for Amazon's b2g1 deal, and the reviews and comments made me take the gamble, and it is much bliss. Not as good as Mario's best, but it is very good, and surpasses Mario in certain areas. A solid 9/10(and that's up from my original 8/10 preview score). I've been playing solid for the last few weeks, and I can't put it down.

@DaMummy

It's good to see Sony trying to take a bite of the Smash Bros pie, as it is BIG Nintendo business, but I have tried several times to get in to it over the years, and I just can't understand the love for that game. Several of my best friends love it, but I'm in the minority for sure.

Chris

I have tried several times to get in to it over the years, and I just can't understand the love for that game.
I'm the same - it's all a blur to me, but my 15 year old son loves the Smash Bros games. To be fair, I've never really been a fighting game fan beyond.

I have tried several times to get in to it over the years, and I just can't understand the love for that game.
I'm the same - it's all a blur to me, but my 15 year old son loves the Smash Bros games. To be fair, I've never really been a fighting game fan beyond.
I'm a HUGE Street Fighter II Fan, and I believe Virtua Fighter is an excellent fighting game as well(probably the best, but very hard to play and master), but the smash bros games are complete chaos to me and I never have any fun when I play them. It is for sure an aquired taste, but I'll stick to what I know and love.

Chris

My comment was supposed to add "SSFII" after the "beyond" :p

I used to play Tekken 1&2 a lot on PS1 and Soul Calibur on DC, but the later versions seemed to leave out the fun. Maybe it's just old age and slowing fingers.

According to this rumour http://www.slashgear...aunch-26224951/ it will be running Android apps out of the box, if that's true it would be an interesting addition. Could those controllers be android tablets? They seemed to be trying to cover a wide area with the WII U, the console itself, plus the tablets/handheld gaming devices, could this be nintendo's plan, release 3 desirable items in one package? It would be like a home media experience kit.
Thst's what i reckon too. They might be trying to seamlessly steal the tablet gaming market by blending it with a more conventional gaming system.I hope so cos I hate apple and their tyrannical grip.

I look at the Vita, and it's far from perfect, but it is such a "GAMING" machine, and the 3DS is still just a childs toy for the most part(at least this is how it appears to me), and this is really sad. The 3DS will probably be a huge success over the next 5 years due to Nintendo recycling the same games again and again, and the Vita which is really geared for a great handheld experiance won't get much attention over the same time due to lack of 3rd parties willing to risk the R&D for a low sold device.
The fact of the matter is, though, that video games and video games consoles, no matter who makes them, ARE toys. ;) Adults have made, collected, and played with games and toys - most often the very same ones loved by children - for centuries, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

The options that you like are available and so are the options that everyone else likes are also available, so surely there's nothing to be sad about. :) There's something for everyone, and the sooner the media stop trying to convince people that there are imaginary divisions of all sorts, the better, if you ask me.

Personally, I think that the only sad thing is that some folks have convinced themselves that video games are something they're not, to the point that they mount death-threat campaigns when a game is not to their tastes and they feel it's beneath them, and so on - I only wish that this was a lone incident, but I've seen it happen a number of times. People would find it silly if folks got this way over whether Corn Flakes sell better than Nesquik Cereal - it amounts to exactly the same thing. :lol:

Running with that thought, this video is well worth a watch, too;

https://www.youtube.com/embed/9joAb4XMaUs?feature=oembed
Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training, Metal Torrent, Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents, Starfy, Bird & Bombs/Spotto!, the "Mii series" (since there's no catch-all term for games that make heavy use of these, of which there are quite a number, all very successful, I'll coin one here :p ), Walk With Me, Face Training, Aura-Aura Climber, Nintendogs, Zekkyo Senshi Sakebrain Electroplankton, Flipnote Studio, and Steel Diver, along with Animal Crossing the generation prior, and the likes of Pullblox and Dillon's Rolling Western within the last couple of months all spring to mind off of the top of my head, here. Just because something new isn't to your tastes, or you missed it entirely, doesn't mean that it never existed. ;)

It's a bit ironic that Nintendo gets criticised for doing the same thing and for the many examples of it to be ignored, only to have the Metroid Prime series held up as an example of doing something bold and original, when it was released during a major FPS period and at the time looked little different to anything else but for its branding... (They were very much involved in those games, by the by. It wasn't all Retro's work. ;) )

Last edited by a moderator:
I look at the Vita, and it's far from perfect, but it is such a "GAMING" machine, and the 3DS is still just a childs toy for the most part(at least this is how it appears to me), and this is really sad. The 3DS will probably be a huge success over the next 5 years due to Nintendo recycling the same games again and again, and the Vita which is really geared for a great handheld experiance won't get much attention over the same time due to lack of 3rd parties willing to risk the R&D for a low sold device.
The fact of the matter is, though, that video games and video games consoles, no matter who makes them, ARE toys. ;) Adults have made, collected, and played with games and toys - most often the very same ones loved by children - for centuries, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

The options that you like are available and so are the options that everyone else likes are also available, so surely there's nothing to be sad about. :) There's something for everyone, and the sooner the media stop trying to convince people that there are imaginary divisions of all sorts, the better, if you ask me.

Personally, I think that the only sad thing is that some folks have convinced themselves that video games are something they're not, to the point that they mount death-threat campaigns when a game is not to their tastes and they feel it's beneath them, and so on - I only wish that this was a lone incident, but I've seen it happen a number of times. People would find it silly if folks got this way over whether Corn Flakes sell better than Nesquik Cereal - it amounts to exactly the same thing. :lol:

Running with that thought, this video is well worth a watch, too;

https://www.youtube.com/embed/9joAb4XMaUs?feature=oembed
Yeah but many of the games you listed are generic, some are sequels like animal crossing which has been going on for donkeys years and most of them are mass market casual or quirky.brain training is only sort of a game.I don't see nintendo creating proper new well defined characters.Elite beat agents is a rythm game i think.I don't really classify rythm games as games.steel diver wasn't reviewed very well.Some of those games are okish but nintendo seem to have absolutely no interest in making any games for adults.Granted they are largely a kids company but still some proper adult games would make sense too.

Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training, Metal Torrent, Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents, Starfy, Bird & Bombs/Spotto!, the "Mii series" (since there's no catch-all term for games that make heavy use of these, of which there are quite a number, all very successful, I'll coin one here :p ), Walk With Me, Face Training, Aura-Aura Climber, Nintendogs, Zekkyo Senshi Sakebrain Electroplankton, Flipnote Studio, and Steel Diver, along with Animal Crossing the generation prior, and the likes of Pullblox and Dillon's Rolling Western within the last couple of months all spring to mind off of the top of my head, here. Just because something new isn't to your tastes, or you missed it entirely, doesn't mean that it never existed. ;)

It's a bit ironic that Nintendo gets criticised for doing the same thing and for the many examples of it to be ignored, only to have the Metroid Prime series held up as an example of doing something bold and original, when it was released during a major FPS period and at the time looked little different to anything else but for its branding... (They were very much involved in those games, by the by. It wasn't all Retro's work. ;) )
Those are some valid games mentioned, but for every one elite beat agents, there is 3 Mario Karts, 3 Mario Bros, and 3 Zelda games released.

As far as Metroid Prime goes, of course Nintendo had a hand in it's creation, the same way they helped argonaut software with Starfox, and Rare with Donkey Kong Country ect., and at the end of the day, those games are great due to Nintendo's input, and for the main developers skills as well. I don't think Nintendo would have ever done one of those games on their own, and on the same note, I don't think the games would have been as good without their expertise thrown in.

I persoanlly can't stand FPS, and when I heard MP was going that route, I almost threwup, but then I got to play the demo at E3 and was blown away. It is a FPS, but no where near what standard shooters are or will be. The only other FPS I have ever liked is Bioshock and I think I like that one for the same reasons I liked MP. It is just way outside of the typical FPS, but that game still doesn't come close to Metroid Prime, as I would say it's main game mechanic is still based in shooting.

Calling MP a FPS is really doing the game an injustice, and I always thought it should have it's own title like FPA(first person adventure), or something like that, as to call it a FPS lumps it in with other games that really can't compare. MP is one of the finest and most artistic games release in 35 years of video gaming.

Chris

I have to agree metroid prime is far removed from an fps.The classic metroid gameplay was transferred over perfectly. The jumping from platform to platform is so well done you can never blame a fall on the game.All fps's have terrible orientation when jumping and they never dare to have complex platform sections.It is also incredibly atmospheric.

I persoanlly can't stand FPS, and when I heard MP was going that route, I almost threwup, but then I got to play the demo at E3 and was blown away. It is a FPS, but no where near what standard shooters are or will be. The only other FPS I have ever liked is Bioshock and I think I like that one for the same reasons I liked MP. It is just way outside of the typical FPS, but that game still doesn't come close to Metroid Prime, as I would say it's main game mechanic is still based in shooting.

Calling MP a FPS is really doing the game an injustice, and I always thought it should have it's own title like FPA(first person adventure), or something like that, as to call it a FPS lumps it in with other games that really can't compare. MP is one of the finest and most artistic games release in 35 years of video gaming.
I have to agree metroid prime is far removed from an fps.The classic metroid gameplay was transferred over perfectly. The jumping from platform to platform is so well done you can never blame a fall on the game.All fps's have terrible orientation when jumping and they never dare to have complex platform sections.It is also incredibly atmospheric.
To be honest, I couldn't play too much of it. What I did play, I liked (much the same as what I played of Halo, I liked, when I got to try it out once), but since it's like an FPS (I didn't say that as if it was a bad thing), it also made me queasy like FPSes do and I had to sell it on. :lol: Glad it turned out well, though.

EDIT: Completely off-topic, but neat! The new forum software links the outlines of paired quotes so that they look more tidy. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I really enjoy the Metroid games, especially the Metroid Prime series, but the bosses in those were b'stards - especially the last one in Prime 1. In Metroid the bosses are generally quite easy when you work out their weakness and form a strategy - Prime didn't play by quite the same rules.

I really hated Metroid Prime: Hunters on the DS; I near crippled my hands playing that for 10 minutes.

Metroid Prime Pinball was surprisingly ace on DS though ;)

I really enjoy the Metroid games, especially the Metroid Prime series, but the bosses in those were b'stards - especially the last one in Prime 1. In Metroid the bosses are generally quite easy when you work out their weakness and form a strategy - Prime didn't play by quite the same rules.

I really hated Metroid Prime: Hunters on the DS; I near crippled my hands playing that for 10 minutes.

Metroid Prime Pinball was surprisingly ace on DS though ;)
Agreed, MPH was absolute trash and MPP was AWESOME!

@Prometheus

I suffer from motion sickness, and FP 3D games make it even worse. I also have issues with standard games as well. Metroid Prime was a daily battle battle of sickness, but it was worth every battle, as the game was top notch.

I think this game is a shining example of a game designer thinking out of the box, as making Metroid in the FP view was unthinkible at the time. I'm just saying Nintendo needs to do more games like this, and look outside of their own company for help.

Chris

Back