Nintendo woes

Would be most interested in seeing the equivalent reports for the competitors, too, since they sell at very large losses (for example, the PSP2 at a $75-per-unit loss).

If they're not available, why are they not being reported on in this fashion?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not the first time such thing happens. As usual, Nintendo will release a killer product.

i wonna know who the hell is still buying Wii's. everyone and their grandmother have one, and these arent xbox's, they last more than 3 months. where is that study? showing who is actually still buying these Wii's?

I don't understand why Nintendo don't release a phone. The phone could even double up as the controller for the Wii2.

That way they hit two birds with one stone.

I don't understand why Nintendo don't release a phone. The phone could even double up as the controller for the Wii2.

For the same reason no one is making a phone with traditional gaming controls (save for the Xperia Play and N-Gage, both of which bombed). That isn't something that people generally want to carry around or hold against their face.

Nintendo designs their hardware around the kind of games they want to do, and Nintendo - thank god - is actually interested in sticking with controlling their handheld games with real controls. The 3D display on 3DS even inhibits the value of motion and to a lesser extent touch.

the reason why i stop playing console games is b/c modern video games don't interest me anymore. too much graphics, too much story, too much politics. i just don't like these things. i was looking for alternatives and found Pandora, which is coming on monday :)

i been w/video games since the early 80s, i played video games since the beginning. i can tell you right now, modern video games just can't match the fun factor of old-school retro games. starting w/PS2, i lost interest in console video games entirely. the graphics hurt my eyes, stories are lame, gameplay sucks, modern console games are dumbed down for Generation Dumb, no challenge; and the most important thing, modern video games are not "pick up and play" friendly.

i do not have time to listen to stupid stories, i do not have time to play an 80hr video game. i have a job to go to and i have a sex life.

back in the day, video games provided quick entertainment, i can play for 5min and still have fun. nowadays, i play for 5hrs and don't have any fun. something is wrong.

the reason why modern video game consoles are not selling is simple, the video games suck

the reason why modern video game consoles are not selling is simple, the video games suck

Like movies and music.

And all is the fault of big bad file sharers :^).

This a pretty retarded article on the whole. Nintendo managed to sell 9.8 million beefed up Gamecubes after 6 years of outselling its three competitors, with its next iteration right around the corner. Despite the price cut, the 3DS is doing better than the original DS did over the same time frame and I expect still has its aces yet to come and is easily outselling the PSVita. Really, if you are doing well, at the point where change occurs, you are always likely to incur a loss. The Gamecube/Wii and DS have been milked successfully for an incredibly long time and at the point where things changed there was always going to be a lull. I would like to see how their total profits and losses scaled up against the PS3 and PSP/PSVita. I think people just love to leap on any sign of negative change in business but I feel absolutely certain that Nintendo both expected all of this, that they have enough in their war chest to afford it, and are gearing up to the Wii-U launch pretty confidently.

Now if you want my opinion on whether I think they will continue to be so successful once the Wii-U comes out... I must admit I am sceptical right now. I expect it to become more casual again and more abandoned by (I use the term very loosely) serious gamers. Despite this, I cant really imagine any direction Sony and Microsoft go in will be remotely game changing. Move only works on the Wii long term as it is mandatory (for the most part). Kinect seems okay for the occasional party silliness and the Move has, from what I can tell, bombed. The graphical capabilities of both consoles isn't going to improve all that dramatically, and even if it did, after spending hours gloriously driving around 1940s LA in LA Noire, I doubt it is going to make the experience better enough to improve overall game quality or give any one console the advantage. I expect Microsoft will embrace Blu-ray and Sony will continue to work on how it connects with and brings together its gamers.

Sorry, this is getting rambling! If I ran either of those companies right now, I wouldn't be trying to push much more detail or pixels to the screen, instead Microsoft would strengthen their direction in home media, bringing in blu-ray and hard disc capacity. Sony would focus on making enough improvement to keep up to speed with Microsoft but focus on reducing the costs and size of their consoles. Both companies would look in to game streaming services like OnLive. Beyond that, I really do not see where either company can take gaming that isn't going to change the formula entirely or be incredibly niche for the sake of being kinda cool now and then. I mean sure, they could invest in augmented reality games or wireless gaming glasses to absorb entirely into the world, but I do not see either of those becoming any gamer's favourite way to play video games. I wouldn't be surprised if we see more unexpected changes in the direction of MicrosoftTV or The Sony Channel, providing TV over IP, or much like the Wii-U, wireless game and media streaming to a second screen so you do not need to hog the TV.

Aaaand sorry for the derail, I just think this is a far more interesting direction of conversation than Nintendo not doing as awesomely as it has does for its last console generation in the wake/beginnings of the next.

If one was to believe the media.The 3ds died months ago and the Ps vita is dying as we speak oh and the smartphone game market is killing conventional gaming systems and finally Osama was hiding in a cave all along.(He probably played with the not successful 3ds to pass the time mind you)

because Nintendo is amazing at what they do, terrible at what they dont.
Yeah, Mr. Pachter said it perferctly.

A good example would be the new folder system on the 3DS. We can now create folders, but it is the most generic folder system I've seen in the last 10 years on any device. I created a folder for my NES games, and the system will only show a HUGE "N" on the folder. What if I want to make multiple folders that start with the letter "N"? Does the system allow for color changes, or some other form of ID?

Really, is this the best they can do in 2012? The online argument is a valid one as well. Nintendo is just clueless in this department, and refuses to go along with the rest of the world in regards to online functionality. The inovation of 4 controller ports was awesome, when online didn't exist. Now, I have no need for it, as I never get together in the same room with more than one other game player, EVER!

I look at the Vita, and it's far from perfect, but it is such a "GAMING" machine, and the 3DS is still just a childs toy for the most part(at least this is how it appears to me), and this is really sad. The 3DS will probably be a huge success over the next 5 years due to Nintendo recycling the same games again and again, and the Vita which is really geared for a great handheld experiance won't get much attention over the same time due to lack of 3rd parties willing to risk the R&D for a low sold device.

Nintendo has been the originators of many great first in video games over the last 20-30 years, but now those new and great ideas are far and inbetween. They really lack a complete understanding of some "BASIC" ideas that are just industry standards at this point, and they are just now touching on some things that are old hat.

The 3DS finally has downloadble demos, and they are limited to 30 trys per demo. WTF? Now have I had the need to go over 30 trys? Of course not, but this is Nintendo trying to put their own stamp on something that has been around for years, and it just makes them look dopey.

They are finally allowing for DLC, why? Because they release games every year that have bugs and issues that can never be fixed unless they do a run of new disc and replace the defects and that would never be cost effective. So finally, they step into the 20th century, and realize that this is the way to go.

SmartPhones and MP3 players allow for better peferfrmance than most Nintendo products, and shows time and time again how clueless they are when it comes to things that are industry standards at this point. It's OK to say someone else has come up with great inovations, and to try to improve on other concepts and ideas over time.

Chris

Yeah Jumpman that's why I sold the 3ds.Nintendo are just re-releasing the same old games and they haven't made anything bold or original in years.(metroid prime+sequels are the best thing they did in recent memory for gamecube)The fact that It's taken a year or more to have downloadable demos is a joke.The vita had them day one!They still don't have downloadable movies/3d movies and little or no games for adults.I liked the 3d screen but absolutely nothing was made to utilise it.I won't be selling my vita any time soon as it's a very nice piece of kit

Yeah Jumpman that's why I sold the 3ds.Nintendo are just re-releasing the same old games and they haven't made anything bold or original in years.(metroid prime+sequels are the best thing they did in recent memory for gamecube)The fact that It's taken a year or more to have downloadable demos is a joke.The vita had them day one!They still don't have downloadable movies/3d movies and little or no games for adults.I liked the 3d screen but absolutely nothing was made to utilise it.I won't be selling my vita any time soon as it's a very nice piece of kit
I've thought about selling mine a few times, but I still enjoy several games, but the 3D is just to hard to keep visible at all times. So I never use that much anymore, which is a real shame considering that is the only thing to seperate it from the last DS models.

Actually, some of the best games availible are through the E-Shop. I recently got Kid Icarus at retail, but it isn't really doing much for me, and I sold my Mario Kart 7 after the new year, as I got bored with it very quickly. I think the only games I'm really looking forward to this year are Luigis Mansion 2, Animal Crossing and Paper Mario. These 3 titles have no set release date, and we may or may not see them this year.

I'm really hoping Nintendo announces a new redesign at E3, as I would love a bigger screen with a better sweet spot, but that's a pipe dream at the moment.

Metroid Prime was AWESOME, and is one of my top 10 games of all time, but Retro Studio handled that title(with Nintendo's supervision), so we can't really say they did much their either. :p I doubt Nintendo on their own could have reimagined Metroid in such a great and unique way.

Chris

I've thought about selling mine a few times, but I still enjoy several games, but the 3D is just to hard to keep visible at all times. So I never use that much anymore, which is a real shame considering that is the only thing to seperate it from the last DS models.

Actually, some of the best games availible are through the E-Shop. I recently got Kid Icarus at retail, but it isn't really doing much for me, and I sold my Mario Kart 7 after the new year, as I got bored with it very quickly. I think the only games I'm really looking forward to this year are Luigis Mansion 2, Animal Crossing and Paper Mario. These 3 titles have no set release date, and we may or may not see them this year.

I'm really hoping Nintendo announces a new redesign at E3, as I would love a bigger screen with a better sweet spot, but that's a pipe dream at the moment.

Metroid Prime was AWESOME, and is one of my top 10 games of all time, but Retro Studio handled that title(with Nintendo's supervision), so we can't really say they did much their either. :p I doubt Nintendo on their own could have reimagined Metroid in such a great and unique way.

Chris
There is a tellyhttp://tech.uk.msn.com/features/the-best-tvs-of-ces-2012 available which can detect and track 9 people viewing it at the same time.It's a glasses free 3d telly like the 3ds and has some software that adjusts the 3d relative to the viewers position and ensures a better sweet spot.I think it uses on screen arrow prompts to tell the viewer to move a little left or right etc. The telly is 10.000 euros though and it will be a few years before prices come down to make it affordable. Yeah retro were responsible for the metroid magic from out of texas I think. It's a cliche I know but I got stuck on the Phazon mines.

I still can't help wondering if the WII U is a horrible horrible mistake. Those tea tray controllers look ridiculous.

if will be a horrible mistake until sony and microsoft decide to put a blatant copy of it on their console counterparts

Back