Nintendo Revolution Controller Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read this on Edge online. I have to say it looks stunning but I can't imagine myself using it.

I suppose I use a mouse and keyboard together with no problems but they're sitting on my desk, I can't imagine picking them up then trying to use them in mid air. It's essentially the same thing.

Kop_007 posted on Sep 16 2005 at 08:24 AM said:
:lol:

Looks like crap.

If that 'innovation', you can stick it.

Seconded, I'll prolly at least try it if -anyone- I know gets one (hahhahaha yeahhhhh......) but if it looks like crap, sounds like crap, then I can prolly say it's crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nintendo need to make sure you can have the old GC pads plugged in or something as well.

That way it wouldn't be so bad.

I'm happy to see how it pans out! Certainly interesting. And how can you dimsiss it outta hand? If you want 'standard' controllers, buy a ps3 or 360.

I wonder if it turns on it's side and becomes a bit like an old snes controller?

Whats is so revolutionary about that lump of junk?

One handed controllers have been around since the PSone (and I believe the NES too) and the only thing the revolution controller has over them is it tracks the controllers movement.

What a pathetic waste of time the next gen has become now, what with Sony focused on graphics, graphics, graphics and graphics. Microsoft focusing on Widescreen, Online and HD-TV (how many people do you know who have all that?) and Nintendo's big "revolution" is a pile of junk, it's only good feature is being able to download old Roms on it for a price.

Typical responses here, and all over the Internet.

Nintendo have NEVER produced a bad controller before, and I for one aam very glad that they're doing this. The complete range of motions that it detects should make for some very natural game experiences. I for one trust them to do this right.

People said the same thing about the N64 controller, and that changed video gaming forever,

As long as you can use a regular game pad, or some type of game pad.

People do not like change in general. I don't mind joy pad changes, but this is drastic.

How could you possibly use a vertical controller with the buttons so far spread out with 1 hand.

This has to be the worst layout i've ever seen and I do hope this bites nintendo in the ass. I will not be buying a revolution unless they confirm that you do not have to use this hunk of shit and can use normal controllers.
revcon_screen004.jpg

Angel posted on Sep 16 2005 at 01:47 PM said:
As long as you can use a regular game pad, or some type of game pad.

People do not like change in general. I don't mind joy pad changes, but this is drastic.

How could you possibly use a vertical controller with the buttons so far spread out with 1 hand.

This has to be the worst layout i've ever seen and I do hope this bites nintendo in the ass. I will not be buying a revolution unless they confirm that you do not have to use this hunk of shit and can use normal controllers.
revcon_screen004.jpg

You have read the reports saying how well it works haven't you?

Gamespot.com
Ign.com
1up.com

etc...

The bottom two A and B buttons are for when you turn the controller on it's side, and it becomes a wireless NES pad. B)

I'm a nintendo fan boy at heart but I'm even sketical of this. I think it looks interested and it true to what they stated most of the time about thier wish to make it simple. But what about all the ports you see go onto gamecube how will companys do this with the NR. Where the buttons. Pluse wheres all the buttons for the backwards compatiblity. And fighting games, unless you actually swing your hands to punch.

ok, when was the last time you had to spready your thumbs about 3-4 inches to reach a button because there is a big square thing with a cord coming out of it in the way. Never, That would have to be super uncomfortable, so hopefully they were smart enough to make it be detachable.

Also, how would you play a game that needs multiple buttons? try to use both things at the same time, nearly impossible by the looks of it.

Mark posted on Sep 16 2005 at 12:08 PM said:
Nintendo have NEVER produced a bad controller before, and I for one aam very glad that they're doing this. The complete range of motions that it detects should make for some very natural game experiences. I for one trust them to do this right.
I'm thinking this way and will wait to see how it plays. My initial reaction was how uncomfortable it looks for long gaming sessions but the movement sensors could be interesting.

I think it's because I'm making comparisons with a tv remote and those things can be quick to navigate once you are used to the layout but not terribly comfortable.

We'll see how this one pans out.

There's been a huge discussion about this on NTSC-UK.

Personally, I now can't wait for the Revolution. A lot of ideas have come up and i'd love to see them being fulfilled.

How about using two sticks and playing Samba De Amigo?

Or having the analog stick plugged in for movement, the d-pad on the main controller as strafing, and the motion sensitive aspect being sword control in an FPS?

A revolution version of Metroid Prime was tested aswell, and it apparently worked wonderful.

DEMO: METROID PRIME-TIME

Nintendo saved the best for last. This was the first section of the GameCube game Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, retrofitted to be compatible with the Revolution controller and its analog add-on piece (the "Nunchaku" set-up mentioned earlier). As on the Cube the analog stick controls movement, but instead of holding down a button to look around, you simply point the other controller in the direction you want to aim.

IMPRESSIONS: At first, I was standing up and swinging my hand all around to aim - and my arms got really tired really quick. But once I sat down and relaxed, resting my hands on my legs as I would with a normal controller, everything clicked. It wasn't perfect yet - the Revolution controller functionality had just been added recently and wasn't bug tested or polished, so every so often the view would "spaz out" for a couple seconds - but it was enough to get me excited. As odd as it may look holding the two separate controller pieces, one in each hand, looking around felt incredibly natural, even more than my preferred PC-style keyboard-and-mouse setup. I have to wonder about precision and speed in multiplayer games, but for a more deliberate single-player game like Metroid Prime - and the series is already confirmed for an appearance on the Revolution - this setup already has huge potential.

It all boiled down to something along the lines of 'If you want your street fighter or your continued franchises of existing games, buy a PS3 or an Xbox 360, but if you're looking for a completely different way to play games then look into this'.

Virtua Tennis revolution, please.

or Osu Tatakae Ouendan, please.

or Pilot Wings, holding the controller like a toy plane and moving it to control the direction?

Something like Spikeout, aswell... Analog stick to move, jabbing the revolution controller in punching movements or something simular to that. This kind of thing would render the need to have shitloads of buttons completely obsolete.

Conventional games and their numerous uninspired sequels are starting to grate just a little bit. This is the first console that's truly, truly got me hyped in a long time now that i've seen this.

on one sense I agree with you and disagree at the same time. You state this.

"It all boiled down to something along the lines of 'If you want your street fighter or your continued franchises of existing games, buy a PS3 or an Xbox 360, but if you're looking for a completely different way to play games then look into this'."

What is the difference? You have multiple sequals and franchises, or you have the same Mario/Link/Metroid games. How many types of games can Nintendo put the same characters in before that gets old. For me, seeing the Nintendo chars in every game situation possible is just as old and repetative as multiple sequals and franchises. Sure the games will play different on the revolution, but they'll still be the same old recycled Nintendo games.

Twinbee posted on Sep 16 2005 at 03:21 PM said:
Or having the analog stick plugged in for movement, the d-pad on the main controller as strafing, and the motion sensitive aspect being sword control in an FPS?

Why does everyone say this will be better than the gamecube controller for FPS games? The mouse and keyboard setup of Pc FPS games is atrocious and this will be similar, give me the two analogue sticks any day.

Looks like I'm gonna end up buying a PS3 even if I don't like it, at least I'll be able to play Timesplitters, Sonic and Ratchet and Clank on it, innovation is good but how many decent franchises will actually see a game released on the Revolution that won't feel awkward eh? I don't exactly see Sonic running about accuratly just from you waving your remote around.

Well in one sense you're right, I suppose I didn't really use the right words.

The way I meant it was by people complaining about 'But how are you supposed to play Street Fighter on that thing?' or 'I'd hate to play Winning Eleven on that!', in which case I just meant that people should open their minds a little and realise that this is going to be an entirely new and different way to play games, instead of complaining that existing sequels won't play on it.

Still struggling to get my point across, but hopefully you understand what i'm on about. :)

Flipside posted on Sep 16 2005 at 03:39 PM said:
innovation is good but how many decent franchises will actually see a game released on the Revolution that won't feel awkward eh? I don't exactly see Sonic running about accuratly just from you waving your remote around.
You see this is what I mean. :)

It's not ABOUT existing genres and the same way we play games today. It's about creating NEW ones.

I understand what you mean n'all, and I wondered the same thing at first. But the more I think about what CAN be done rather than what CAN'T, the more I want to give it a try first hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back