Nintendo Ds Specs Leaked!

DONT BELIEVE IT PERSONALLY. Nintendo are lowest on the list of companies that would "accidently leak" something. This may be a little stunt to get more attention but i dont think that is likely

Yeah it does not wash with me that it just got leaked, i think these could be the specs but i think their is more to it than them being leaked.

All the spec are ridiculous compared to the GP32 except the 120 000 polygons per second!
By the way it sounds like rubbish as far as I'm concerned...

4MB of ram, processor 67Mhz and 33 Mhz, 256x192...
We want a decent portable game system!
I think nintendo makes fun of us!
They'd better include ONE BIG SCREEN instead of 2 little one!

Drumaster posted on Mar 11 2004 at 03:34 PM said:
All the spec are ridiculous compared to the GP32 except the 120 000 polygons per second!

you have to remember, it has 3d graphics card too

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm why need a expensive powerfull system...
i would be happy enough with psx graphics on a handheld.. i dont need more.
also i dont want to spend 300€ for one.
im very intrested in the new Handheld from nintendo.

Drumaster posted on Mar 11 2004 at 08:34 PM said:

You'd be surprised at how powerful that actually is, case in point the GBA, on first glance a relatively powerless system:

CPU 32 bit RISC-CPU + 8 bit CISC-CPU
Memory 32 Kbyte WRAM + 96 Kbyte VRAM (in CPU) 256 Kbyte WRAM (external of CPU)

however we know what thats capable of.
Also the genesis, again looks underpowered but in fact is an excellent gaming machine:
CPU: Motorola 68000 at 7.61 MHz
1 MByte (8 Mbit) ROM Area
64 KByte RAM Area
Co-Processor: Z80 @ 4 MHz (Not Present in MK-1631)
Controls PSG (Programmable Sound Generator) & FM Chips
8 KBytes of dedicated Sound Ram
VDP (Video Display Processor)
Dedicated video display processor
Controls playfield & sprites
64 KBytes of dedicated VRAM (Video Ram)
64 x 9-bits of CRAM (Color RAM)

Drumaster posted on Mar 11 2004 at 08:34 PM said:

Typical thinking mistake of PC users :) If something doesnt have at least 5000MHZ and 1 giga of memory it is not good :)) Dont forget that it is designed with only one purpose - to play games. All architecture is constructed in a way which let to use those 30 and 67 mhz arm processors in more efficient way than for example 1000 MHZ PC could do. This is the same we we complare 1000 MHZ Macintosh with a 4000 mHZ Pentium III (those are only examples :) i dont know if there is a 1000MHZ Mac). Macintosh's architecture is kind of optimised masterpiece and they dont need more MHZ to do the same task as Pentium 4 can do. It is even better when we are talking about specific software who need a good perfomance like eg Adobe Photoshop).
Let's check all older consoles specifications:
Dreamcast: 200 MHZ CPU and 16 mb of memory. Seems not too much but belive me - even with Pentium 3 1000 mhz and 256 mb ram you wont get as good perfomance as dreamcast has.
I can give more examples but it is pointless. Of course those specs are not so impressive comparing to PSP - but we dont know if those are real Nintendo DS specs and if Sony will keep announced configuration of PSP and wont downgrade the hardware because you need to remembere that even the best system (expensive) will lose with less powerfull but cheaper (remember Game Boy. It was cheaper and less powerfull than much more better Atari Lynx or Sega Game Gear.

Typical thinking mistake of PC users
First of all I'm a console AND pc user BUT I PLAY only on CONSOLES and I had nearly all the consoles when I was young and now again.

Dreamcast: 200 MHZ CPU and 16 mb of memory. Seems not too much but belive me - even with Pentium 3 1000 mhz and 256 mb ram you wont get as good perfomance as dreamcast has.
Typical thinking mistake of only CONSOLES users : With a pentium 1000 Mhz, 256 Mo and a "little" powerVR 2 like the Dreamcast, you have better results, believe me!

If I say it's ridiculous it's compared to the GP32 even though it hasn't 3D accelerator (what a pity!)

lol Drum, he meant PC as Windows users, in whcih windows is evil and uses alotof Pent4/AMD artitecture, thats why the G5 mac is about 1ghz or so and runs shit fast fast fast

Game consoles do not need much to actualy run, all the stuff is just to load data and execute it, in which you only need ram, processor, and some other junk like gfx shit. and programing, which is even less *alot less* than mac needs to run. So it need less power.

i am a PC, Mac and Console user so :p, hopefully i can get a Linux PC somtime soon

from 16000 ( gba pps )to 120000 ( 9 nitro pps )isnt that much of an improvement, they just kept the screen small to make it look better. Why Am I forseeing a Emulator that plays games on one screen and gives framereate, rom info, controls, and the gui on the other...
to bad this wont emulate much for shit!
thats right, small screen with terible resolution, honestly, thats the gayest resolution i have ever heard of
and the processor sucks balls

~Octavious

GP32 is much better , and I bet that it could put out a lot of pps more than the nitro ( <-- name = gay )

ThndrShk2k posted on Mar 11 2004 at 09:52 PM said:
lol Drum, he meant PC as Windows users, in whcih windows is evil and uses alotof Pent4/AMD artitecture, thats why the G5 mac is about 1ghz or so and runs shit fast fast fast
But the mac still costs more than a PC :p

The specs sound very reaonable to me, it was never going to compete with the PSP graphics wise but maybe in terms of gameplay...

the PSP specs are so much better though it has two 333mhz processors right? One for games and one for other stuff, it will probally be able to emulate the GBA. The DS sounds cool wow two screens but I've thought about it and I'd rather have a good sized screen then two small ones.

Back