Next pandora (competition model)

Multi-lock hinge requires a fairly large investment. I've yet to find any off the shelf parts. In theory a DS hinge will fit (and if I ever get a tri-wing screwdriver I'll know for sure), but OPT could never get a license to use them. They'd have to spend the money to design their own hinge, even if it is exactly the same as the DS one.

For the backlit keyboard, using fluorescent paint and a single UV LED would make a brilliant glowing keyboard.
Actualy, you still only need a 1-lock Hinge. The Lock just has to be on another Position than 180° because the Hinge will stop automaticly at 180°. ;) AFAIK, the DS Hinge also has only 1 real lock position. So I see no problem for a Pandora Hinge that also has another lock position, should be doable without problems. If DS Hinge is patented, use a hinge with a different lock position or rotate the current hinge lock in the Pandora to something else than 180°. I don't see any inverstment in this stuff, just use another Hinge, I bet there are inserts for every position available. :)

@Screen: 800x480 is fine, pixel dense already is pretty high, I don't want even more tiny fonts in Browsers or anything. Instead of matching the Screen to the Pandora Menus, you sould finaly start to match the Pandora Menus to the current screen. ;)

And NO OLED!!!! OLED is crap! Look at the WIZ, the screens are already wearing out.

I recommend a custom Pixel QI Screen (the screen tech from the OLPC), dual Mode of course, means black/white in sunlight for perfect readability. :)

As a gaming device I find the response time and black level disappointing. Dark scenes are hard to see cos the light reflects from inside of screen or something, and blacks are quite grey, and SNES games in particular look very poor when moving. OLED yields great black and perfect response times.

Would it be possible to produce several versions? So if an OLED screen of same size and fit could be acquired there could be for ex 2 different models with 2 different screens and even 2 different prices?

Also if it makes sense economically why not make an XL version? Even if some people look for a pocketable computer specifically this platform could easily compete with netbooks I think, and there should be people who arent necessarily looking for a pocketable design but a slim lightweight computer with good battery time and not to small display.

Well my only suggestions are these, some already suggested:

• 2 more L+R triggers with improved design.
  • Glowing keyboard material would be cool... think about it, when you don't need it glowing, you just close the Pandora... or am I missing something?
  • Faster and more RAM, etc general specs increase is almost always welcome.

And for other things which hopefully can be improved accross Pandora and Pandora 2 if a similar SoC is selected:

• More stable drivers for hardware,
  • Standards for homebrewers to follow from day 00! (I don't want to have to change the control layout of PandoraPanic 2! a bazillion times. :p )
  • Some form of (I hate this term) cloud service that syncs emulator saves, gamesaves and settings between Pandora's maybe with a desktop PC client so you can sync the SRM files into the correct folder for PC emulators...
  • Proper PDA type app like Osmo, again with sync capability.
  • Any other added awsomeness that I may have forgot...

Last edited by a moderator:
EvilDragon, you never really touched up on the subject of back-lit keyboard. I know you did some research on some material that can stay lit for 4 hours after being exposed to light, that its being used on some German watch company,
I've seen specs for some emergency exit lights lately. They were all radiating more or less, i saw mega- and one gigabecquerel values, but i don't remember the values in detail. The longer it glows and the brighter it is, the more radioactivity it has.

Personally i would prefer a transparent keymat black painted with the letters printed with transparent paint. The keyboard light brightness can be controlled with a dimmer and a single LED. This concept is moddable easily. Dou you want red, green, blue or anything keyboard light color? Just replace the LED.

UMTS-Card support.

Oh and an extrem powerfull Cpu would be nice. Playing Gamecube would be really fantastic.....I know. I'm dreaming.
UMTS is chained with a high licence fee. Usually you don't notice this, because cheap UMTS Sticks are sold with a contract and the real licence fee is paid by the regular usage fee. Since OpenPandora GmbH is no phone company they can't hide the costs of a UMTS stick / modem.

A possible solution could be an extension coffin inside the pandora case.

An empty space of the size of the usual umts or memory sticks prepared with usb connection nearby would make it possible to build in an extension by the user later. You could use this space to mount an additional internal drive like 64gb usb stick or a UMTS stick. This way you could void the licence fee during production.

Talking about avoiding fees i would like to ask how much do you want to pay for your pandora with your new features?

600+? 700+? 900+?

What a pandora with a bigger screen looks like:

realistic_pandora_2-1.png realistic_pandora_2-1-isolated.png

The lumps on the side are theoretical Expandora sticks* which would be separate purchases that would bring previously mention hardware to the P2 without jamming in your pocket, making it harder to handle, or looking messy. I have also included relocated speakers.

*standard USB, so no links to XKCD 927 :p

What a pandora with a bigger screen looks like:

View attachment 1355 View attachment 1356

The lumps on the side are theoretical Expandora sticks* which would be separate purchases that would bring previously mention hardware to the P2 without jamming in your pocket, making it harder to handle, or looking messy. I have also included relocated speakers.

*standard USB, so no links to XKCD 927 :p

Whenever I think of expansion modules for consoles, I think Sega CD and Sega 32X. And then shudder, as those were mostly a monstrosity.

I'm also a bit skeptical of speakers on the lower part of the console. Wouldn't my hands muffle the sound from games? And probably a beast to try to get into the build. I'm also cynical this morning.

Is this a monstrosity though?

realistic_pandora_2-1.png

Re speakers, there's nothing else that has to be on that part of the PCB (put the USB port on the other side)

Nothing, but is answers.

"And probably a beast to try to get into the build."

Where else could the speakers go? :)

Looking at the picture, I would guess that hands wouldn't actually touch the speaker grilles.

The completely unused areas to the sides of the Ptm's screen (above & below the speakers) seem like a huge waste in such a packet gadget.

interesting thoughts... don't forget though that the speaker magnet is also currently the trigger for the lid switch.

-Neelix

As a gaming device I find the response time and black level disappointing. Dark scenes are hard to see cos the light reflects from inside of screen or something, and blacks are quite grey, and SNES games in particular look very poor when moving. OLED yields great black and perfect response times.
That sounds like your screen is completely different to the ones that have been present in the four Pandoras I've had. :blink:

SNES games in particular look excellent, on mine, and the response times seem little different to the DS Lite...

Ha, well no. That form factor is just fine, especially for extension ports. What do you think they could be used for? Can't really add CPU or memory that way easily, and GPS/3G/Acceleration modules that you can simply plug in could just go on the USB, though would be handier than having a stick out the USB port in the back. I do lack imagination, though, when it comes to hardware, I'm interested to hear more.

Also, it needs a place where you can mount it onto a CD player. Like a Pandora CD. I'd give one internet to someone who can photoshop a Pandora-CD like so:

Mega_Drive_II_(PAL)_%2B_Mega-CD_II_(PAL)_%2B_32X_(PAL).jpg

That sounds like your screen is completely different to the ones that have been present in the four Pandoras I've had. :blink:

SNES games in particular look excellent, on mine, and the response times seem little different to the DS Lite...

It's subjective, and we've been through this a lot before, but I agree with him. I can easily see ghosting on my unit, as well as the LCD I had with a bare Pandora board back in 2008. Not sure what DS Lite is like because I've only played a few games on mine before it broke, and they were obviously all designed with the screen in mind. GP2X seems like it had less ghosting, and going by the spec sheets Pandora's LCD isn't exactly leading the curve on response time.

Which leads to the next point - you can do better in terms of response time and black levels while still on LCD, without going to OLED.. obviously you won't do as well so it's up to the viewer if it's "good enough." On the other hand, Pandora's LCD has very low power consumption, so the tradeoffs are all going to be a matter of what's important to you.

instead of taking up the empty spaces above and below the speakers, and fill it up with screen, how about we fill that space with more speaker instead? Imagine that space filled with two monster sized speakers, getting similar sound quality that Pandora gets from headphone jack.

Ha, well no. That form factor is just fine, especially for extension ports. What do you think they could be used for? Can't really add CPU or memory that way easily, and GPS/3G/Acceleration modules that you can simply plug in could just go on the USB, though would be handier than having a stick out the USB port in the back. I do lack imagination, though, when it comes to hardware, I'm interested to hear more.

Also, it needs a place where you can mount it onto a CD player. Like a Pandora CD. I'd give one internet to someone who can photoshop a Pandora-CD like so:

see this: Xpandora units keep the P2 pocketable.

expandora2.png

Does a GIMP job count? (I may have misjudged the CD slot width!)

xpandora-CD.png

Back