Next pandora (competition model)

Graphics chip with proper drivers for OpenGL?
Overall better software support. No more stuff like not be able to use DSP because of whatever.

Next Chipset should be choosen after it's Drivers quality and size of the Chipset Documentation, including every circuit if needed.

I don't need any further USB Ports or 1.1 compatibility.

The only thing I need is:

UMTS-Card support.

Oh and an extrem powerfull Cpu would be nice. Playing Gamecube would be really fantastic.....I know. I'm dreaming.

Oh and an extremely powerful Cpu would be nice. Playing Gamecube would be really fantastic.....I know. I'm dreaming.

we're going to get a better cpu anyway most likely. Unless software bloats enormously, I'd rather get the best battery life possible.

*thought: are multiple cpu cores good for emulating different components on a console (e.g. on does the main processor, one does the sound hardware, and another does the graphics chip*

The point about neat little usb things suck on the side is that you/I/He/She/They/We can have

UMTS

or GPS

or DAB(+)

or a ton of other acronyms without putting the added cost onto other users, and without making our Pandoras messy, or worrying about Linux support. IMO this would make the P2 even more awesome and unique than the Ptm

Last edited by a moderator:
The following would be what I would look for (and therefore be prepared to buy) in a replacement for the current Pandora;

1) HD out. Ideally a HDMI port, but DVI-D (which is more or less the same as HDMI, sans-sound), or VGA, through the video out port would be OK.

2) A tougher build. All the Pandora's I've had (a few RMA'd) have had a tendancy to bend more than I've been comfortable with, especially when you have to start flexing the whole unit so it sits on flat surfaces properly again.

3) A larger screen. The pixel density is fine---in fact if it got any denser the Pandora 2 would have to have some nifty software built in to make websites actually legible, rather like you get on smartphones---but 800 by 480 is right on the edge of what's acceptable for desktop applications. And as I do love how the Pandora can handle desktop work, this is key to productivity.

4) Like others above I'd not want to lose the speakers. If they do have to be compromised somewhat to fit a bigger screen then thats OK by me, so long as they're there and sound better than a Nokia playing R&B at the back of a bus.

5) Keeping up with the Jones', meaning better CPU and RAM. Not a great concern for me, but we wouldn't want to look dated, especially as web programs become more complex and prominent, and Javascript does require an unfortunate amound to omph compared to the same thing done natively.

The following would be what I would look for (and therefore be prepared to buy) in a replacement for the current Pandora;

2) A tougher build. All the Pandora's I've had (a few RMA'd) have had a tendency to bend more than I've been comfortable with, especially when you have to start flexing the whole unit so it sits on flat surfaces properly again.

Maybe a complete case redesign? Does anyone else think that, while functionally awesome, The Ptm looks like an overfed DS. Can we make it look really cool, without resorting to glossy plastic?

Also a gimmick, which I'm pretty sure could be included in some epic hacks: fit a small screen behind the Pandora logo on the lid. (could be used as a battery meter when charging?) (how much would such a thing cost?)

This may not be the best place for it, but I had an idea for L2/R2 buttons. My idea was a clip-on device for the Pandora, similar to the Circle Pad Pro on the 3DS. I'm not sure how it would work, with the USB and stuff in the back (a pass-through of some kind, maybe?). The L2/R2 buttons could be set into the back of the case, similar to the iCP's shoulder buttons, to keep the size down. Just a thought I had. I don't even own a Pandora (or an iCP) but I'm hoping to preorder one in the future.

Maybe a complete case redesign? Does anyone else think that, while functionally awesome, The Ptm looks like an overfed DS. Can we make it look really cool, without resorting to glossy plastic?

Perhaps. Depends on how much resources ED can bring to bear on the project, and how limiting that will be. Personally I rather like the current chunk look ... Just wish it was a bit more 'chunky' in practice. Increasing plastic thickness internally in a few places will probably suffice.

Also a gimmick, which I'm pretty sure could be included in some epic hacks: fit a small screen behind the Pandora logo on the lid. (could be used as a battery meter when charging?) (how much would such a thing cost?)

I suspect that these sorts of cool-but-not-strictly-needed features will entirely absent from any remake, due to the aforementioned resources limit.

1) HD out. Ideally a HDMI port, but DVI-D (which is more or less the same as HDMI, sans-sound), or VGA, through the video out port would be OK.
HDMI without sound and without the insane licensing costs.

3) but 800 by 480 is right on the edge of what's acceptable for desktop applications. And as I do love how the Pandora can handle desktop work, this is key to productivity.
Indeed, a vertical resolution of 600 or perhaps even 768 would eliminate most of those nasty windows which you need to shift-move around to reach all the buttons. This would be a simplification of the porting effort and a significant improvement to perceived software quality.

4) Like others above I'd not want to lose the speakers.
Agreed. I use my Pandora way more without a headset than with one at the moment. Loss of speakers would be terrible.

Hmmm, I expect a case redesign to take a lot of time and resources. It would be much safer to simply reuse the existing one.

Multi-lock hinge requires a fairly large investment. I've yet to find any off the shelf parts. In theory a DS hinge will fit (and if I ever get a tri-wing screwdriver I'll know for sure), but OPT could never get a license to use them. They'd have to spend the money to design their own hinge, even if it is exactly the same as the DS one.

For the backlit keyboard, using fluorescent paint and a single UV LED would make a brilliant glowing keyboard.

Just a thought, here: On the more recent MacBook models, you can get sound over DVI-D and run the whole thing to an HDMI port with the necessary TV-out adapter. I can only assume that Apple has some way that's sufficient to avoid licensing costs. Is this something that would be possible here?

I start to think an icontrolpad2 with current layout on one side and keyboard on the other side would be the more future-proof idea. Make it water- and sand-resistant and it will be the ultimate gadget :p

What about case material and colors, is it possible to make Pandoras in the future with different colors and/or translucent plastic? I want a translucent dark blue colored Panda.

Hmm looking at the Panda, if they dont wanna make new case design, then I would guess a bigger screen would be impossible, theres no place for speakers anywere else and the inside of the lid has 4 screws on it, mayby a screen could be glued or the screws fastened from the outside case lid, the logo side, but then I could imagine a lot of people disliking that idea.

Hmm mayby there could be enough size for speakers to be mounted at the sides in upright position? then there could be some holes to the left of 'q' key and to the right of 'p' key to let the sound out. Ofcourse if you use the gaming controls youre fingers cover exactly that space...

Some years ago Philips had plastic speaker tech or something, were the plastic surface over the actual display was the speaker I think, but theres usualy some bezel like area on displaypanels themself anyway, bah, Im no engineer but I cant see how the screen could be made bigger :/ How about a Pandora XL? Bigger case with new design, allowing even bigger battery also, same components just more of everything for those who dont mind carrying extra size, I would have loved a Vaio P sized Pandora! Still small enough to hold and use gaming controls, big enough display to get high res and feel great.

Also what about 3D, if you could use Passive glasses and get 3D from games/programs coded for it I would have loved that!

I guess thats my suggestion, a XL version with big OLED display with high res and 3D passive glasses.

It's $10k a year + 10 cents a unit. Not very insane at all. I especially doubt Apple would try to avoid it on a high volume laptop. I for one would like to see straight HDMI support and I don't think that's that much to ask for on a device selling for $500.

If multi-lock isn't an option I'd prefer to see it simply changed to another angle like 90 degrees.

Fusion_Power said:
Overall better software support. No more stuff like not be able to use DSP because of whatever.
Next Chipset should be choosen after it's Drivers quality and size of the Chipset Documentation, including every circuit if needed.

Next chip is probably going to have more homogeneous/coherent ARM CPU cores and will either have a less powerful DSP, a different/incompatible one, or none altogether. I say stop nagging developers about something that almost none were going to utilize in the first place. It's much easier to start with using normal threading than developing for a vendor specific DSP that has its own special interface requirements, needs its own special compiler, and is extremely difficult to write optimized ASM by hand for.

So if we're talking about advocating software optimizations I would much sooner push for focusing on:

- More use of hand-written NEON, since the compiler sucks at it and I doubt that'll change much any time soon

- More conventional threading since everything is using an OS that can handle it, even if something like Pandora won't benefit much/any from it.

Then you'll have optimizations that actually mean something on other current devices as well as future devices like Pandora 2.

Here's a short list of things I'd like to see corrected over MY Pandora, some of which I'm sure are already corrected in existing units or maybe are hit/miss in general:

1) Better shoulders, one of mine is wobbly but IMO the design isn't very good in general.

2) Better nubs. I haven't used mine for anything but the desktop but they absolutely suck there, to the point of being unusable, completely inconsistent too.. I have a hard time imagining this translates to performance that's just fine games. First and foremost they shouldn't be relying on dodgy auto-calibrating firmare that can't be modified.

3) Better response time on the screen (less ghosting). I understand this is can be a compromise vs power consumption and cost, though. Personally I don't think power consumption should be optimized at all costs, I'd gladly go for a little less battery life if it meant a significantly lower cost (for instance, using DDR3/DDR3L instead of expensive PoP LPDDR2), and I'd also prefer a thinner console if at all possible.

In fact, I think the cost is kind of a quandary all together. Now we're seeing Chinese devices that are more powerful than Pandora and barely cost over $100. In fact, with larger screens at the same resolution (and possibly even capacitive, not sure) and peripherals like accelerometers.. I'm not saying a European company should try to compete on price with a Chinese one but a factor of 5x is just absurd. I know Pandora offers a form factor these devices don't, it has a keyboard/nubs and it has a bigger battery, and that's great, but let's stop fooling ourselves, these things don't add very much to the price.

One thing I would like to see on the next device is either some sort of headphone jack ports for adding Paddle controllers. The most ideal would be to have some sort of pop up potentiometer built in, but that could not only be difficult to find if it exists, but where to put it even. Now if this can be done with the current EXT port, then never mind. But since retro gaming is a strong suit of this device, i just want to see some love for the paddle games.

One thing I would like to see on the next device is either some sort of headphone jack ports for adding Paddle controllers. The most ideal would be to have some sort of pop up potentiometer built in, but that could not only be difficult to find if it exists, but where to put it even. Now if this can be done with the current EXT port, then never mind. But since retro gaming is a strong suit of this device, i just want to see some love for the paddle games.

Don't see why this couldn't be done with USB. Such a device can also have a hub built in with a USB passthrough so you don't lose the port.

Just a better screen, tougher body, maybe a slightly altered keyboard layout. I would not change much really, its pretty cool as it is.

It might be a nice idea to have a sort of extra slot, where you can plug in modules that are sold seperately for certainthings that some people desperately want, but others don't need. Like for example UMTS, GPS ... maybe even adapters for certain ports like LPT or even Hard-&Floppy drives or a USB Hub ... whatever people may need.

This could lower the costs for the actual device and make it more flexible for the special needs some people have. The most common stuff (like WiFi) should of course be included as it is now.

Personally, I'm very happy with the current design...A bigger screen (like an ipad) would ruin the concept, I already have a netbook <_< .For me, a computer in a pocket is what make this device so interesting...

So for a pandora 2, I would like a better processor, better graphical card, and if it's possible L2 / R2 buttons would do the trick :) ....But before dreaming on a pandora 2, I'm really looking forward the mass production to finally have the pandora 1 :p

Can we fit a WXGA screen in there? (should be able to use with a stylus and should be matte)

It might be a nice idea to have a sort of extra slot, where you can plug in modules that are sold seperately for certainthings that some people desperately want, but others don't need. Like for example UMTS, GPS ... maybe even adapters for certain ports like LPT or even Hard-&Floppy drives or a USB Hub ... whatever people may need.

This could lower the costs for the actual device and make it more flexible for the special needs some people have. The most common stuff (like WiFi) should of course be included as it is now.

When I suggested a slot, I was told it would increase the size too much, Which is where the idea of USB modules that fit on the side came from, as they wouldn't increase the volume of a bare P2, while still fitting neatly in your pocket. My wish list for such a system would be:

1. broadcast radio receiver (DAB/DAB+/DVB/FM) (the guts of one of these, but but fitting neatly on the pandora)(makes the P2 an complete media player!)
  2. sim card reader & suitable antenna(s) for wireless dialup
  3. USB hub
  4. GPS+compass+pressure sensor = navigation pack

maybe a physical interaction unit = vibrate motor + gyroscope + accelerometer

but extra controls and adapters for unusual connectors would probably be quite simple to bring to production. Also a P2 could be updated to support future iterations of wifi or whatever

@frostfall: I think the extra screen size in the P2 will will created by cutting down on lid bezel, so it will still fit in your pocket. :)

Back