Next pandora (competition model)

Tuxmmer

Still Fresh
Excuse my bad English.

I have a very big question: Is it possible to leave soon pandora 2?

I wish there was a contest for the next console model. What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Edit: Trash.

I don't know what I'm talking about. :p

The Pandora 2 willbe designed by and for this community (everyone can suggest ideas and discuss other peoples' ideas, work on, and improve the design!) There probably won't be a 'contest' because that would reduce the mixing of ideas. I can tell you the following:

A Pandora 2 will:

be pocket sized

be a clamshell shape (this is because there is no other way to include a keyboard, without paying patent licenses)

run Linux

have a keyboard

have gaming controls

have a better processor

have a higher resolution screen

It is

possible

that it will have:

extra controls or buttons

physically bigger screen

more sensors such as:

gps

accelerometer

camera

an improved physical shape

look nicer/different

Compare a old car with an new car:

They both do same thing, but a new one performs better, looks nicer, an has cool features (like air conditioning!)

:D The same will be true of the Pandora 2: same idea, but better.

However, read my signature (just below this text) this should be discussed in a couple of years, not now, because the Pandora 1 (From the

Two Months

era) is still quite useable, and is still being brought to production.

Pandora 2 development is planned to start once Pandora 1 production is stable and about 4000 more units have been sold.

It will stil take a long while until Pandora 2 is ready for mass production after that, but yeah, we'll collect ideas here for sure, we want to know what you guys are missing :)

There's only 2 things I would really want in a Pandora 2: a keyboard that can light up (to make it easier to type in the dark) and some sort of manual hinge lock (so you can have screen positions other than "flat" and still use the touch screen).

At the moment I only miss built in lit Keyboard. Typing in the night in the dark is not that easy, at least not with 180 opened hinge. ^^" Keyboard light in Pandora 2 is a MUST imho.

EDIT: Ninja'd! :lol:

Woah! Before we all start saying what we want in a P2, we need assurances that nobody will end it with:

"NO WE ARE NOT MAKING AN iPRODUCT! KILL THE N00BS!"

Which seems to have happened several times before :rolleyes:

EvilDragon, you never really touched up on the subject of back-lit keyboard. I know you did some research on some material that can stay lit for 4 hours after being exposed to light, that its being used on some German watch company, but you never really explained the process, and what it really is. As already started twice in this thread, that's a feature OP(2) cannot miss out on. I'm just not sure what the response would be to the fact that the product you found, you wouldn't be able to turn it off. Still sounds like a great idea. Also. a lifespan estimate on the glow in the dark magic would be nice as well.

I doubt todays modern lit keyboard technics have a noticable Impact on Battery life. They use very tiny LED thingies, less than a mm. And of course the Keyboard should be able to be turned off. I guess every modern mobile device with physical Keyboard has a lit one, it's common technology and should be affordable.

Problem with Pandora 1 was, that it was AFAIK planed without a lit keyboard. Pandora 2 should include these stuff already in the planing phase. :)

I tilt the screen up to 90 degrees and it shines a little light on the keys, if I need to type in the dark.

But light up keys would be cool.

My most wanted changes are the following:

1: OLED screen.

2: Bigger screen with higher resolution, fill the top lid and put speakers somewere else.

3: I would want a plus shaped D-pad like on NES controlers instead of hole circular shaped like MD.

Thats all I can think of, everything else is perfect!

How about extra shoulder buttons?

I also have a slightly strange (new) idea up my sleeve...am I allowed to explain it yet?

O hell, why not. These are important:

• A faster processor and more RAM
  • DVI out
  • a higher resolution screen
  • SDXC support

These are nice-to-have:

• more hinge positions
  • USB 1.0/1.1 controller if it can be made to fit
  • L2/R2 if and only if a proper placement can be found. Would require a case-update which is less favourable.
  • Perhaps some 2D or 3D accelerometers.
  • 802.11 a/b/g/n

slicker design less bulky and possibly lighter

5´´ screen with higher resolution and less bezel

faster processor

more ram

better battery that charges faster and possibly last longer

the keyboard has too much real estate not being used, either tighten it up or add more keys.

Pretty much exactly what Caine said is what I'd like to see, but I also agree with mjohansson in that I'd like for the S-Video and composite outputs to remain available, too.

But I would like to add one thing: A few folks have proclaimed what a great idea it would be to omit speakers from the Pandora 2, for such reasons as "Because I want a bigger screen and because of that I say that everyone should just use headphones anyway if they actually want to listen to anything.". Please don't remove the speakers - it is just not convenient to mandate the use of headphones at all times, and I would strongly doubt that everyone always has a pair on them wherever they go. I know I sure as hell don't, and I'm someone who makes sure to carry useful things on me at all times. :p

I agree with alot of what others have said, I'd like to see an IR port and wireless N. An OLED screen would be sweet but a good quality LCD screen is acceptable if it's cheaper and easier to aquire. Of course more ram and a faster processor goes without saying. Backlit keyboard would be cool as long as it can be turned off.

Oh, PLEASE DON'T REMOVE THE SPEAKERS!!

ED, is the idea of a smaller verion of the Pandora still on the table? One with a Wiz/Caanoo/Dingoo form factor? I really liked that idea when it was brought up on GP32X!

I doubt todays modern lit keyboard technics have a noticable Impact on Battery life. They use very tiny LED thingies, less than a mm. And of course the Keyboard should be able to be turned off. I guess every modern mobile device with physical Keyboard has a lit one, it's common technology and should be affordable.

Problem with Pandora 1 was, that it was AFAIK planed without a lit keyboard. Pandora 2 should include these stuff already in the planing phase. :)
EDs talked about backlit keyboard plan has nothing to do with LEDs, but instead use something along the lines of the glow in the dark plastic you see being used in toys, except I guess somewhat different. Last I heard, he found somebody who owns a German watch company that uses this material, which will glow in the dark for around 4 hours after being exposed to light for a little bit. But like I said, this is something that can't be turned off, but on the plus side, it uses no battery

I think we need:

More hardware drivers from release, its annoying that after Two Months of the Pandora being around, we still can't use the dsp. Going by current rates, we might end up with a 6+1 core CPU with 10 extra co-thingumies (does emulation multithread well?) We need to be able to turn as much off as possible, to maintain good battery life.

And heres my idea:

Ex

pand

ora

what we do for the P.2:

add some USB ports on the sides

later when someone has got the energy:

package some preexisting usb chipsets in uniform cases.

expandora1.png

advantages:

keeps the pandora neat (no usb sticks making it unpocketable)

backwards-compatible with the Pandora TM (

T

wo

M

onths

) or any other linux box.

expensive, or as yet nonexistent hardware, can be smoothly added at a later date by the user

guaranteed compatibility with Linux in general (some things are hard/unpredictable to make work with Linux)

disadvantages:

A whole lot a extra work for someone to:

a. organize the productions of the XPD modules

b. write drivers

Back