Next Gen Consoles

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to notice the difference with graphics in the new consoles :D we're talking more than just a 'few' more poly's and some cleaner textures. But I can understand your sentiment. Why spend the money if you're ending up just getting more of the same? For me, the answer is simple, I love games :p Though I'm not happy to have to buy new systems again so soon... I'm just one of the types who is not happy if I don't have the latest and greatest, and I'm not happy if I have to miss out on any of the great exclusives due to not owning one or two of the systems. But this is why I work 50 hours a week, no? :D yeah there's gonna be more of the same, but there will also be some new and different stuff, and most likely, some stuff getting done on each of the new systems that simply could not be done before.

If only capcom hadnt of let RE4 go on to PS2 then maybe people might change their minds about nintendo and 'Cube. I agree that nintendo need the third party help but with the gamecube many companies said that the 'cube didnt meet up to the specs they needed ie the amount of space on the discs. And plus if Rare hadnt been bought by microsoft then we would have had better games on the gamecube.

im prolly gonna buy an XBOX2 1s then a revolution

I think XBOX is currently the best console for thridparty games because a majority of them arent that bad (lets not kid ourselves there are a hell of a lot of dire games released for the PS2)

the GC is the best for 1st party games and i dont thin kid wanna miss out on all the Ninty titles

I dotn knwo why Nintendo has a kiddy image, sure the games can be considered kiddy, but there are just as many "kiddy" games on the PS2, the difference beign that the PS2 kiddy games are barby games and other crap

If the PS3 has something more than better graphics i woudl consider it but currently i think its not for me

I'm going with the one that square make ffs for
Also same, ive bought me a new pstwo for FFX-2 and FFXII.

Anyways, I might also get a Revolution, as long as 1) Its fairly cheap; ya know like the cube was. And 2) Its backwards compatible; Would love to play those cube games I missed out on.

Sigh.

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't get the thing about games becoming too complicated and sending gamers away.i see the opposite.prople who liked games still play them,and there are a hell of a lot of new gamers due to videogames not being seen as kid's stuff anymore.and i also see a lot of variety.i think whoever likes simple,fast games can find them ,and who likes complicated games can find them as well.there's a whole spectrum of variety of games for all tastes.
so i really don't see this crisis situation of having to lure old gamers who quit back.as i said,games don't seem broken to me.

I don't really care about the next console becuase a good PC will always be better than even the best console. I don't have a PS2, GC, XBOX, or DC. I h8 them all. The developers have stopped caring, releasing only hyped-up stuff that looks good, gets you to buy it, and turns out sucking.

Nintendo has really pissed me off recently. They don't care about their customers, they only care about money. So they purposefully make their old consoles (regular GBA anyone?) more useless by making new thingys that don't fit it, which really sucks since it has the same hardware as the stupid GBA SP.

I had a few stupid friends who think that the GBA SP is soo much better than the GBA, and they even thought that there were games that only work on GBA SP (stupids). They also thought that it had better graphics.

And all of the 3rd party games have been real crappy. My GBA sits unused, with the screen protector off, and a with a scratch on the lcd. I don't even use it anymore.

It strikes me that Nintendo have always been at their most creative when they have been pushing what the technology can do. The problem now seems to be that the technology for a standard console (ie no fancy add-ons) is beyond their capabilities to innovate so they churn out old titles but with better graphics.

Presumably they are looking towards things like touch sensitive screens and the like so that they can spark their creativity again. Whereas Mario64 was more than just a 3D version of Mario, they are hoping that adding a touch sensitive screen (or whatever) will add more to a game than just a touch sensitive screen... if you see what I mean. Forcing the game designers to think about a game in a new way may introduce innovation in other ways too... or so they hope...

But what can they add that will actually bring something worthwhile to games? Well... years ago I saw a prototype on Tomorrows World that would be excellent. It passed very low levels of electrical current through parts of the ear to effect balance - thus giving the sensation of movement. To demo the device they had taken footage from a rollercoaster and synched the devide with the dips and bends. The guy on Tomorrows World swore it was just like being on a rollercoaster. Imagine that in F-Zero!

J(ohn)

Blah - that is a VERY biased and uninformed oppinion, which unfortunately, is all too common among hardcore PC gamers. First of all, comparing PC's to consoles is retarded. Consoles almost always come out in the $300 price range and only go down from there, often hitting $100 or even less by the end of the systems life span. You ain't gonna buy a good gaming PC for $300, and certainly not for $100. A good gaming PC will cost you somewhere in the range of 3-7 times more dough, depending on how far you take it... Plus, new PC games are constantly upping the bar, so that within some 6 mos, your 'new' system is already starting to fall behind and not run the newest games at their highest performance levels. Whereas consoles USUALLY have a viable lifespan of around 5 years, and that's five years in which you really don't have to do anything to it, and are pretty much guaranteed that even the latest greatest games will run just fine on it. But you PC guys always fall back on "but it runs better!" "but it has better resolution!"... yeah, and for 3-7 times the cost, it better damn well run and look better!

Secondly, how can you POSSIBLY even THINK to say that all console games do nothing more than look good but suck to play??? So millions and millions of people must be f'ing idiots to think that games like Halo 2, Metroid Prime, Zelda Wind Waker, Grand Theft Auto, Gran Turismo, etc. etc. etc. are actually good games to play? Stop kidding yourself. These games don't sell just because they look good.

Then there's the PC's GREAT amount of diversity, right? Seriously, what was the last big PC release that wasn't an FPS, MMORPG, or RTS? Sure, you do find other genre's covered on PC... just barely. I find that most hardcore PC gamers think these are the only types of games worth playing, find that long periods of online gaming sessions are a great substitute for actually going outside and/or interacting with real people, and just don't see the point of playing any game that doesn't have shooting, blood and guts or just overall massive amounts of killing or destruction. Kind of a scary thought, if you ask me.

Seriously.... PC does have great games, of course it does, and yes, it's very likely that high end PC's will always have some kind of performance edge over consoles (as long as you keep upgrading it every 6-12 mos :p )... well DUH... but to say that consoles and console games all suck is just retarded... stop trying to justify your purchase (probably a pretty sizable investment in that gaming PC I bet) by trying to make other people feel that they are stupid for owning or wishing to own 'lesser' machines. To each their own.

I don't really care about the next console becuase a good PC will always be better than even the best console. I don't have a PS2, GC, XBOX, or DC. I h8 them all. The developers have stopped caring, releasing only hyped-up stuff that looks good, gets you to buy it, and turns out sucking.
PCs has plenty of hyped games that suck too, do you not realise this?

Nintendo has really pissed me off recently. They don't care about their customers, they only care about money.
Who do you think provides them with their money? Clearly their customers aren't that bothered or else they would cease to buy their products.

I had a few stupid friends who think that the GBA SP is soo much better than the GBA, and they even thought that there were games that only work on GBA SP (stupids). They also thought that it had better graphics.
Maybe you should have less shitty friends. I'm not sure that this is Nintendo's fault, or indicative of the average console gamer.

And all of the 3rd party games have been real crappy. My GBA sits unused, with the screen protector off, and a with a scratch on the lcd. I don't even use it anymore.
Don't blame Nintendo for shit third party games.

+1 for bast's comment on pc gaming :)
i used to hate the idea of pc gaming till very recently, though. i thought laying out $300+ just for a vid card was insane. now i don't think it's so insane and i'm now hooking up my first performance pc. but it's mainly due to the fact that i do more on my pc than gaming.

Yeah just to be sure no one takes it the wrong way, I'm in no way saying PC's suck or PC games suck... indeed some PC games as of late have been absolutely phenomenal, graphically (doom 3) and gameplay (Halflife 2). I was bigtime into gaming on my PC back when the Geforce 3 was in it's heyday... last game I bought was Max Payne, then built a top of the line PC that was available at the time to play that perfectly... 2 months later Geforce 4's came out and then Medal of Honor and I was pissed as Medal of Honor ran really low FPS on my now obsolete setup. And that was the last time I updated my PC.

If the rumor about the new Xbox is true that it wont have a harddrive, I think MS is REALLY shooting themselves in the foot. For one, this would most likely mean that there wont be backwards compatibility with Xbox 1 games, since they are all programmed to use the hard drive in some big way, usually for cacheing data for faster loading, and of course for saves and such. I know some people have said that they could use some kind of memory card for these things, but considering the Xbox would cache upwards of 600 or 700MB for many games, I really dont see what kind of memory card they're planning on using that would be affordable for this purpose. If they release a new system this soon into the life cycle of the Xbox, AND it's not backwards compatible... I really see a LOT of people getting turned off and not wanting to buy it.

Dozer posted on Feb 1 2005 at 05:20 PM said:
Lots of info on nintys new contribution here.
And why exactly are we supposed to trust this little geek?
Edit: Obviously I meant the geek in the article, not you Dozer :D

bast525 posted on Feb 1 2005 at 06:46 AM said:

If the rumor about the new Xbox is true that it wont have a harddrive, I think MS is REALLY shooting themselves in the foot. For one, this would most likely mean that there wont be backwards compatibility with Xbox 1 games, since they are all programmed to use the hard drive in some big way, usually for cacheing data for faster loading, and of course for saves and such. I know some people have said that they could use some kind of memory card for these things, but considering the Xbox would cache upwards of 600 or 700MB for many games, I really dont see what kind of memory card they're planning on using that would be affordable for this purpose. If they release a new system this soon into the life cycle of the Xbox, AND it's not backwards compatible... I really see a LOT of people getting turned off and not wanting to buy it.

Yeah I can't believe Microsoft is being so stupid. They seem to be going the cheapo bargain bin route. I suppose the guys in charge of the Xbox now are clueless. I mean even NINTENDO is going to have a hard drive! And they are traditionally cheap asses and ultra conservative. I think it is quit ironic that the new Xbox will be the ONLY next gen console without a HDD.

Yeah i saw this ages ago and its a load of bull. 'Feeling is better,' get a life. If it was that simple nintendo would have said something by now. It will be more revolutionary than that. And id like to know what this "reliable" is. The HD-DVD thing is true cause nintendo wouldn't support a sony product. As for wireless controllers, well lets just say we'll wait and see. And a Zelda game as a launch title won't happen cause they're still finishing Zelda 2005. And They also said they wouldn't make a new Smash Bros game so that is bull.

I'm not reading the thread, but I'll post my opinion (thought of it in the Gym).

I buy consoles for games like racing, RPG, platformer etc. but I need a good PC for FPS and online games, which are shit on consoles.

yet more biased oppinions....

IMO, first person shooters and online games are both pretty damn good on Xbox. Plus, many of PC's biggest FPS are coming or have come to Xbox. Doom 3 on Xbox looked pretty damn good at E3 last year. If you have a good TV they can look as good as when run on a good PC.

As far as online goes... Xbox Live is easily one of the best online services I've ever seen, and it applies to ALL Xbox Live games... one nice universal easy to use interface. Finding games to join is as easy as it gets on Xbox Live, and it's pretty damn smart setup too... I must say I've NEVER seen the kind of lag on Xbox Live that I used to see when playing PC games online with a fast cable conection.

Back