Newsletter Received.

Can anyone confirm that Canadian customers will be able to pay via paypal? My paypal payment will be sent as soon as the preorder starts.

Keep it up!

I can`t wait!

Can I ask a slightly cynical question?

I'm not suggesting that this is the case at all but... what happens if, say, only 1800 people actually put money down on a pre-order? does this mean that there won't be enough money to pay for the production of the first 3000, which I assume is the minimum production run?

I know its a bit pessimistic but if there isn't even 10,000 people (yet) who are in interested in this thing then what makes everyone think that they're going to get 3000 people actually paying 200 quid on the 30th? What happens if they do get 3000 pre-orders but it takes up until late November? Then you've got the issue of cancellations to deal with... and more delays.

I've seen this type of pre-order, pay-before-production, style of selling before and it doesn't always go as intended. I hope that the makers have enough capital to cover themselves should they not get enough pre-orders or immediate interest. We are in a credit crunch after all!

MiL0 said:

I'm not suggesting that this is the case at all but... what happens if, say, only 1800 people actually put money down on a pre-order? does this mean that there won't be enough money to pay for the production of the first 3000, which I assume is the minimum production run?

I know its a bit pessimistic but if there isn't even 10,000 people (yet) who are in interested in this thing then what makes everyone think that they're going to get 3000 people actually paying 200 quid on the 30th? What happens if they do get 3000 pre-orders but it takes up until late November? Then you've got the issue of cancellations to deal with... and more delays.

I've seen this type of pre-order, pay-before-production, style of selling before and it doesn't always go as intended. I hope that the makers have enough capital to cover themselves should they not get enough pre-orders or immediate interest. We are in a credit crunch after all!
If preorders don't make up 100% of the products sold, then they'll just sell the remaining Pandoras as they would any normal product. I don't get how that's tough to understand... :unsure:

Also, you can't automatically assume that the only people who are interested are on the mailing list. We get new people who show up here all the time who have no clue there even is a mailing list. I'm sure that once the preorder is announced, the Engadget/Joystiq/Kotaku crowd, along with all the forum lurkers and people from other places (DCEmu, GP2x Spain, Benheck, Digitpress, etc.) will catch wind and want to preorder as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
CronoTriggerfan said:
MiL0 said:

If preorders don't make up 100% of the products sold, then they'll just sell the remaining Pandoras as they would any normal product. I don't get how that's tough to understand... :unsure:

Also, you can't automatically assume that the only people who are interested are on the mailing list. We get new people who show up here all the time who have no clue there even is a mailing list. I'm sure that once the preorder is announced, the Engadget/Joystiq/Kotaku crowd, along with all the forum lurkers and people from other places (DCEmu, GP2x Spain, Benheck, Digitpress, etc.) will catch wind and want to preorder as well.

good points

My only concern is whether they can't even BEGIN to start manufacturing the Pandora until they've pre-sold 3000 units. I think that showing a finished unit, working, with the final case/dpad/analogue/keyboard and a functioning OS is incredibly important to show before the 30th.

People on here might be willing to spend 200 quid on something they've seen as a developers circuit board and ribbon cable attached TFT but you think the type of casual user that reads Engadget will do the same? It's quite an assumption to make and could make all the difference to whether or not this thing actually gets made at all.

I'd say that, in this instance, it'd be better to delay the pre-order date even further if Craig and the crew are unable to show a video of a completely working, finished unit.

It's a good question, but I would think they'd go ahead anyway. They may have a minimum number of pre-orders required to help fund the production (say 1,000), some conservative figure that they are sure to get.

And as CTF said, once the Pandora is really out and users show what it can do, there will be a wave of people who suddenly get interested (the prevailing response so far outside of here as been -- "sounds great, believe it when I see it").

GunPei2X said:
It's a good question, but I would think they'd go ahead anyway. They may have a minimum number of pre-orders required to help fund the production (say 1,000), some conservative figure that they are sure to get.

And as CTF said, once the Pandora is really out and users show what it can do, there will be a wave of people who suddenly get interested (the prevailing response so far outside of here as been -- "sounds great, believe it when I see it").
agreed - you can put me in that camp too!

I can't see myself paying for a pre-order unless i'm absolutely certain that I'll receive it this year and I'm definitely not paying anything until I've seen a Pandora in its finished case with a working OS.

if craig sticks a video up which does all that then he's definitely got my money. I know of at least 3 or 4 other people who are in a very similar situation to me too.

Craig has said a few times that he wants people to see more videos etc before the pre-orders happen.

We just gotta wait until they're ready.

MiL0 said:

We would just sell the remaining units to distributors who are waiting to stock it, but there is so much interest, people are emailing us right now (not distributors) asking to reserve up to 60(!) units at once and if this is ok... Ebay resellers I bets! (Don't worry, we are not letting anyone reserve any units in advance).

craigix said:
We would just sell the remaining units to distributors who are waiting to stock it, but there is so much interest, people are emailing us right now (not distributors) asking to reserve up to 60(!) units at once and if this is ok... Ebay resellers I bets! (Don't worry, we are not letting anyone reserve any units in advance).
60 at a time? Holy shit. :blink: When exactly will we be notified of the exact time that the preorders start? :lol:

CronoTriggerfan said:
When exactly will we be notified of the exact time that the preorders start? :lol:
Probably at the exact time that the preorders start.

Pandora system Video Game(*Mint*)
Buy It Now: 100$

--------------------------------------------------
Like new videogame Pandra system plays all games better then Playstation or Nintendo. New in box collectors rare selling fast.

Buy It Now: 100$

Shipping: 530$

TaG said:
CronoTriggerfan said:
When exactly will we be notified of the exact time that the preorders start? :lol:
Probably at the exact time that the preorders start.
No...
craigix said:
There will be an email before the ordering starts with details of times etc.

I took that as a notice that we'll be notified of the exact time before the 30th... :huh:

CronoTriggerfan said:
TaG said:
CronoTriggerfan said:
Probably at the exact time that the preorders start.No...
craigix said:
There will be an email before the ordering starts with details of times etc.
I took that as a notice that we'll be notified of the exact time before the 30th... :huh:
Or:
craigix said:
For the number which went out, well, I hope we will be sending over 10,000 on the 30th, put it that way :)

Either way, knowing what Craig's emails are like, it really wouldn't surprise me if it is sent out at 02:00am 1st October BST. (Not having a go Craig, you just don't seem to operate on normal UK time. ;) )

TaG said:
Either way, knowing what Craig's emails are like, it really wouldn't surprise me if it is sent out at 02:00am 1st October BST. (Not having a go Craig, you just don't seem to operate on normal UK time. ;) )
That's at, depending on daylight saving time, 9:00 or 10:00pm EST (you know, where the people that matter live :p )

I'm not sure when it will go live, I'd like to avoid having it go live at midnight, maybe about 1-2pm GMT? That would be fair across the world pretty much, everyone would be up-ish?

To ensure everyone had a chance, you could limit pre-orders to 250 per day (f.ex). It would also give everyone a bit of a challenge too, and no doubt a few threads on this board ;)

Squidge said:
To ensure everyone had a chance, you could limit pre-orders to 250 per day (f.ex). It would also give everyone a bit of a challenge too, and no doubt a few threads on this board ;)
You, sir, are evil. :D

craigix said:
I'm not sure when it will go live, I'd like to avoid having it go live at midnight, maybe about 1-2pm GMT? That would be fair across the world pretty much, everyone would be up-ish?
Sounds good from this corner. 2pm GMT would make it midnight in Sydney and a more gentlemanly 10pm in Perth. Firing off some hard earned for Pandora will be a lovely nightcap.

Back