News Regarding Firmware Update

C

codeninja

GPH confirmed the battery problem. Currently, GP2x lasts around 3 hours playing video with Sanyo 2500mAh (which is kinda standard battery over there). They think it's because of TV-out is leaking electricity, and try to fix with firmware.

They'll try to make booting time under 20second.

They also confirmed the joystick left push problem and asked customers to get a free service from them.

They're partial about earphone jack issue. They ask people to push the jack all the way in, but if you still don't hear sound or hear sound from both earphone and get the service. The same to the case of fallen off power switch. :eek:

The newer LCD firmware upgrade seems to have its own share of issues such as blinking and digonally waving display, which they'll try to address soon.

USB related issue can be from PC, the cable, or GP2x. You must have W2000 sp4 or later or XP.

SD card MUST be in FAT32 format.

[rumor] I read from a few posts in the official web and gpain.com mentioning about there is only one engineer doing all those. I hope that was not the case.

GPH confirmed the battery problem. Currently, GP2x lasts around 3 hours playing video with Sanyo 2500mAh (which is kinda standard battery over there). They think it's because of TV-out is leaking electricity, and try to fix with firmware.

They also confirmed the joystick left push problem and asked customers to get a free service from them.

They're partial about earphone jack issue. They ask people to push the jack all the way in, but if you still don't hear sound or hear sound from both earphone and get the service. The same to the case of fallen off power switch. :eek:

The newer LCD firmware upgrade seems to have its own share of issues such as blinking and digonally waving display, which they'll try to address soon.

USB related issue can be from PC, the cable, or GP2x. You must have W2000 sp4 or later or XP.

[rumor] I read from a few posts in the official web and gpain.com mentioning about there is only one engineer doing all those. I hope that was not the case.

uh d00d...

My SD cards work fine using their default format (FAT12). Where are you getting all this information from anyway? I would prefer to hear from an official source (and hopefully soon).

Last edited by a moderator:

thats true.

one engineer

Thats crazy talk :p

There is no new news from the official site anyway.

Are you lying to me!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :lol:

Yes, this seems contrary to other info on the forums have stated. All sorts of people have been saying 'no, the short battery life is only with 700mah batteries, people just arnt using the right type. the battery life is of course 6 hours (or whatever the figures were)' ..

gah, so much misinformation/speculation going on.. please post a link/email/whatever that points to your source.

edit: whoops, wrong quote.

There seems to be a lot of conflicting reports right now...

Battery problem is caused by
1. coating on the battery connectors
2. bad alkaline batteries.
2. both cpus working at 200MHz all the time
4. electricity leaking from the tv-out

Joystick problem is
1. firmware related
2. hardware related

Earphone jack is
1. not working at all
2. only working on one side
3. not properly fitted because of bad soldering

I think we need to wait a while for some offical news. I only wish we weren't hindered by the language barrier.

im considering that too,too much conflicting information and half truths and rumor mongering

The same to the case of fallen off power switch.

Ha, I wonder what will eventually arrive? A box full of bits?
"Some Korean bloke has soldered his sandwich onto the back of my unit, I want a refund"

"Some Korean bloke has soldered his sandwich onto the back of my unit, I want a refund"
Haha! i will properly be one of those, who gets one where the sandwich is badly soldered on, am i then entitled to a new sandwich? :ph34r:

im considering that too,too much conflicting information and half truths and rumor mongering
Currently the environment is just perfect for trolls to show up and have a ton of fun at our expense. People are excitable, and the delays have caused some to question the wisdom of pre-paying (plus, I'd be willing to bet there's the odd PSP/DS/whatever fanboy adding misinformation to "help" his platform of choice). Remember also, there are trolls and fanboys in Korea too, so anything said on the Korean boards has about as much validity as anything said here, in Spain, or whereever.

Everyone chill, we'll know for certain soon enough, and if the hardware does turn out to be crap you can always return it for a refund. Now go do something else and get your mind off this.

You could make it close to instant by storing a freshly booted kernel in NAND, then
move it to RAM during start up. As if the unit was suspended the way a PC is, you
can just go back to that saved suspend file to boot.

USB related issue can be from PC, the cable, or GP2x.  You must have W2000 sp4 or later or XP.

This mean its still a standard USB Storage class device?

I understand this issue, NTFS IFSD support hasn't really matured yet, but is there no current way to use Reiser or Ext3? It IS running Linux after all, and so are some of us. I would at least figure someone would port the ReiserFS driver to it later on. With the current software, does it try to mount it as auto or as vfat?

Edit: Typos, but I do see NTFS read being ported.

Sure, what did you think?
To keep it as cheap as possible, each of you will get a DIY-gp2x kit.
Those korean preordered guys probably didn't notice this ;)

Oh: And once assembled: Don't disassemble it again or you will void your warranty :p

Last edited:
clippa thats now in my sig! i think its hilarious
clippa said:

My SD cards work fine using their default format (FAT12). Where are you getting all this information from anyway? I would prefer to hear from an official source (and hopefully soon).

I've never heard of FAT12. :p Anyway, as I said it's from www.gp2x.co.kr and those are actual statements from GPH. I don't know how you can get any more official than that.

Back