Firmware Upgrades

CoinOp

Website
Visit site
Can the firmware be upgraded from a usb connection? Just curious because I've ordered a 2gb SD to go with my 2x. With official reports of the 2x not being able to read sd cards over 1gb, I'm wondering what my options are when they release the updated firmware that addresses the issue.

I did try some limited searching here on the board on the matter, but with the 4 letter limit (ie: usb, sd, card) I really didn't find much of use. Sorry if this has been covered already.

Warmest Regards,

CoinOp

Only over sd or serial, but depending on the shop where you bought it they may offer a service.
gp2x.de flashes your gp2x for free for example, if you buy from them that is.

Multi-format card readers are very affordable these days. I would recommend using one of them instead of hooking your GP2X to the PC over USB.

Edit...

Of course this doesn't help the fact that you still have a useless 2Gb SD card until the firmware inside the unit is upgraded...

Try doing this -- go to a retail store with a good returns policy and buy the smallest SD card you can get (16mb?). Use it to flash the new firmware, then return the card in its packet (make sure to be careful to replace it so it looks brand new) and receipt, and say it was the wrong type could you please have a refund.

Try doing this -- go to a retail store with a good returns policy and buy the smallest SD card you can get (16mb?). Use it to flash the new firmware, then return the card in its packet (make sure to be careful to replace it so it looks brand new) and receipt, and say it was the wrong type could you please have a refund.
I like your style :lol:

Well, or simply go ask your friends.
One of them surely has a digital camera or any other device (PDA, etc) which uses small SD cards, don't they?

Isn't the NAND off limits to users?

No, the 64 mb of ram is off limits to users. The 64 mb of NAND is fully available to store whatever the user would like to. In the UI the user is able to choose to run things off of the NAND or the SD card.

--fomit

Very much missing his beloved Canada, having his GP2X to help with that.

Last edited by a moderator:

No, the 64 mb of ram is off limits to users. The 64 mb of NAND is fully available to store whatever the user would like to. In the UI the user is able to choose to run things off of the NAND or the SD card.

--fomit

Very much missing his beloved Canada, having his GP2X to help with that.

The RAM can't be off limit to users because then you won't be able to run programs on it. RAM is not for storage, it's what you load stuff into when you run programs. The NAND should have around 20MB free space from what I've heard but the latest news is that GPH decided to lock the NAND from user access. This is actually a good thing because continously writing to those 20MB will shorten the lifespan of the memory so it's better to use a memory card. Also I think GPH want to leave the last 20MB open for updates. It's not like you can do a lot with 20MB anyway.

Heh, all the ram off limits to users, that'd be funny. I think he's confusing things with the fact that there's 16MB of ram that is unused by Linux.

Isn't the RAM offo limit to users in that we can't actually put files and things into RAM? I was under the impression that the NAND would be available to users and that there would be internal for firmware upgrades. I guess I was mistaken.

You can't store files into RAM because the RAM can only hold its memory while the unit is on. As soon as you turn it off the memory is lost. It's electronic but it's fast so you can hold temporary stuff in it. It would be quite a bother to load images from the SD card every frame they are drawn to the screen when you are playing a game :)

Have you successfully stored anything to NAND? I don't think so.

GPH has stated that you can on their english site (read through the broken english FAQ and Customer Suggestions "Forums"), and it is visible that you can from various videos on the web. I'm supprised this is even an issue, thought it was common knowledge.

Back